COBOL COBOL COBOL
Author Message
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

What ever happened to the old fashioned Cobol programmer?

Where are you hiding?  I have positions available for you in Maryland
and Northern VA.  I need 2 or more years Cobol programming, CICS, MVS
VSAM and the other usual tools used by a programmer.

Most of these positions require a strong ability to analyze program
structure, requirement definitions and project management skills.

Please send resumes to

Please attach resumes saved in either MSWord or Wordperfect format.

Fri, 25 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

:
: Where are you hiding?  I have positions available for you in Maryland
: and Northern VA.  I need 2 or more years Cobol programming, CICS, MVS
: VSAM and the other usual tools used by a programmer.
:
: Most of these positions require a strong ability to analyze program
: structure, requirement definitions and project management skills.
:
: Please send resumes to
:

:
: Please attach resumes saved in either MSWord or Wordperfect format.

"Old fashioned Cobol programmer"s don't use no stinking PC word processors ;-)

Greg

--
//
Greg Granger

Fri, 25 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

:>:
:>: Most of these positions require a strong ability to analyze program
:>: structure, requirement definitions and project management skills.
:>:
:>: Please send resumes to
:>:

:>:
:>: Please attach resumes saved in either MSWord or Wordperfect format.

:>"Old fashioned Cobol programmer"s don't use no stinking PC word processors ;-)

Give me XEDIT anyday of the week compared to WordPerfect...

RLS
Robert L. Stinnett                  | University of Missouri

UMC - Columbia, MO.  CompSci '97    | Student Computer Camp Coordinator
http://www.missouri.edu/~c592073    | Summer, 1996

Fri, 25 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

Quote:

>What ever happened to the old fashioned Cobol programmer?
>Where are you hiding?  I have positions available for you in Maryland

Yuk! You mean you WANT a top-down,  in-line coder?

Yeeeeech!

Peter.

Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

Quote:

> >What ever happened to the old fashioned Cobol programmer?

> >Where are you hiding?  I have positions available for you in Maryland

> Yuk! You mean you WANT a top-down,  in-line coder?

> Yeeeeech!

> Peter.

Peter,

        It is amazing but COBOL and CICS programmers are in high demand.
 This is mostly due to the large number of legacy COBOL systems and the
lack of qualified personnel to maintain them due to corporate
"dumb-sizing."

        My understanding is that most of these positions are for
millenium 2000 projects.  Those professionals that were "dumb-sized" out
of their organizations were told that COBOL was no longer a marketable
language and either changed careers or retrained with PB, VB, C, C++ or
other MIS technologies.  Why would they want to go back if in the year
2000 they are no longer needed and further behind technically?

        For the future it will be extremely interesting to watch
organizations scramble for personnel when C and C++ fall out of grace and
the legacy systems built with them need modification.  :)  If people
thought top-down and in-line code is difficult to modify wait till they
grapple with overloading, polymorphism, inheritance, et. al. after the
original coders have moved on.

        What we can be sure of is that what is the leading edge language
of today will be tomorrow's legacy language with all of its negatives
that hindsight provides.  :))

                                                Richie

Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

Quote:
>>:
>>: Please attach resumes saved in either MSWord or Wordperfect
>>format.
>>"Old fashioned Cobol programmer"s don't use no stinking PC word
>>processors ;-)
>>Greg

Given the requirements of this announcement I would assume you'd
accept a text file from SPF/PC in lieu of the aforementioned word
processors...after all, this is as advanced as some "old
fashioned" COBOL programmers can get! ... well, maybe a ROSCOE
file or two.

--

Independent Consultant                ...or sometimes

Tue, 29 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

Quote:
(Morris, Peter) writes:

>writes:
>>What ever happened to the old fashioned Cobol programmer?

>>Where are you hiding?  I have positions available for you in Maryland

>Yuk! You mean you WANT a top-down,  in-line coder?

>Yeeeeech!

>Peter.

Don't forget about the GOTO's and PERFORM THRU's.
Got to have those too, you know.

Edward L Shattuck
Former GCOS6 COBOL P/A (looking for a job)
12yrs in IS and Loving it.

Sat, 02 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

Quote:
+(Morris, Peter) writes:

+

+>writes:
+>>What ever happened to the old fashioned Cobol programmer?
+>
+>>Where are you hiding?  I have positions available for you in Maryland
+>
+>Yuk! You mean you WANT a top-down,  in-line coder?
+>
+>Yeeeeech!
+>
+>Peter.
+
+Don't forget about the GOTO's and PERFORM THRU's.
+Got to have those too, you know.
+
+
+Edward L Shattuck
+Former GCOS6 COBOL P/A (looking for a job)
+12yrs in IS and Loving it.

And of course we can't live without ALTER.

Sun, 03 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

 -=> Quoting Richie

 R<> It is amazing but COBOL and CICS programmers are in high demand.

        Seems everyone is looking for cobol people.

 R<> due to corporate "dumb-sizing."

        I read somewhere that a lot of these corporations that jumped on the
downsizing bandwagon are now in trouble.  They've got too few people and too
much technical stuff that they can't get done anymore.  Seems to me they keep
the "gabby" HR type of people, and get rid of the quiet I.S. types.

... Mike's Vet and Taxidermy: Either way, you get your dog back.
___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30 [NR]

Sun, 03 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

Quote:
> And of course we can't live without ALTER.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to draw the line at ALTER...

Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 COBOL COBOL COBOL

Quote:

>(Morris, Peter) writes:

>>writes:
>>>What ever happened to the old fashioned Cobol programmer?

>>>Where are you hiding?  I have positions available for you in Maryland

>>Yuk! You mean you WANT a top-down,  in-line coder?

>>Yeeeeech!

>>Peter.

>Don't forget about the GOTO's and PERFORM THRU's.
>Got to have those too, you know.

Please, if you're going to use GOTOs and PERFORM THRUs, they must
always be *backwards*.  Ideally, GOTOs should be DEPENDING ON, or,
even better, ALTERed.

Wed, 06 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. COBOL//COBOL//COBOL

2. COBOL COBOL COBOL

3. COBOL-COBOL-COBOL

4. How compatible are RM Cobol and MF Cobol.

5. IBM COBOL post-VS COBOL II

6. tandem COBOL to IBM Mainframe MVS COBOL Conversion

7. Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX

8. Old RM-COBOL UNIX programmer seeking info on move to COBOL/400 on AS/400

9. cobol runtime error 46 for cobol 85

10. IBM COBOL to HP-UX COBOL

11. Differnece between Cobol and Cobol II

12. Search in Fujitsu Cobol Power Cobol