Info about COBOL and UNIX wanted.
Author Message
 Info about COBOL and UNIX wanted.

I'm seeking info from Cobol crankers who are
currently developing on a Unix system.

I maintained a Cobol system on a Unix mini-computer
for five years, and really liked it.  But the box was old
and tired, and when it gave up the ghost I moved
everything to PC client/server with MicroFocus Cobol.

I'm not really a fan of DOS and would like to know who
out there is now writing Cobol on a Unix platform.  Also would
like to know who wrote the compiler you're using and how
well you like your environment.  Any info appreciated as I
intend on migrating back to Unix or Zenix if possible.

Feel free to post comments here or e-mail me.

Regards,
James Jones.

Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Info about COBOL and UNIX wanted.

Quote:

> I'm seeking info from Cobol crankers who are
> currently developing on a Unix system.

> I maintained a Cobol system on a Unix mini-computer
> for five years, and really liked it.  But the box was old
> and tired, and when it gave up the ghost I moved
> everything to PC client/server with MicroFocus Cobol.

> I'm not really a fan of DOS and would like to know who
> out there is now writing Cobol on a Unix platform.  Also would
> like to know who wrote the compiler you're using and how
> well you like your environment.  Any info appreciated as I
> intend on migrating back to Unix or Zenix if possible.

> Feel free to post comments here or e-mail me.

> Regards,
> James Jones.

We wrote COBOL on a Wang VS mini-computer system for over 14 years.
Like you, we were also facing old tired systems (not to mention that
Wang was self-destructing for the nth time).  We migrated everything to
RS/6000 boxes running Micro Focus under AIX.  Part of the decision to
use Micro Focus was based on our experience with the compiler under
DOS.  Now we are developing another in-house product using Micro Focus
on SCO Unix.   Works just fine.

Regards,
--
David Furin                   |

Information Systems Manager   | smail:  2600 St. Clair Ave. NE
LaRich Distributors, Inc.     |         Cleveland, OH  44114  USA

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Info about COBOL and UNIX wanted.

Quote:

> I'm not really a fan of DOS and would like to know who out there is now
> writing Cobol on a Unix platform.  Also would like to know who wrote
> the compiler you're using and how well you like your environment.

Years ago I got a package called "Interactive UNIX" for a Dell 386.  I
was somewhat dubious about what could be done on a PC but was pleasantly
surprised.  I was able to run about 25,000 lines of K&R C with Korn shell
scripts from echt AT&T 3B2 SVR4 UNIX without any compatibility problems
at all.  The same cannot be said of AIX.  I believe this package is still
available, and I recommend it.

The CoBOL I have is from Liant.  I don't they're still around, and in any
case I don't recommend it.  It has one major compatibility problem that
kills me every time I have to run some mainframe code.  There are usually
two kinds of arithmetic in CoBOL: one in the COMPUTE statement and one
everywhere else.  This compiler uses COMPUTE arithmetic in IF-statements.

As for AIX, the hundreds of tiny incompatibilities don't really affect
you in new development; they're only a problem for conversions from UNIX.
Some of them are even good.  For example, the AIX ld command is head and
shoulders above UNIX.  The Achilles' heel of AIX is the lack of free
format CoBOL.  I am happy with X as a development environment and see no
raison d'^etre for CD.

--
Christopher Westbury, Midtown Associates, 15 Fallon Place, Cambridge, MA 02138

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Info about COBOL and UNIX wanted.

Quote:

[snip]
> The Achilles' heel of AIX is the lack of free
> format CoBOL.  I am happy with X as a development environment and see no
> raison d'^etre for CD.

Actually the "Achilles' heel" belongs to your COBOL.  Acucobol for one
allows free format (by that I assume you mean not 80 card format) COBOL
and is available for AIX.

Sal

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Info about COBOL and UNIX wanted.

Quote:

>[snip]
>> The Achilles' heel of AIX is the lack of free
>> format CoBOL.  I am happy with X as a development environment and see no
>> raison d'^etre for CD.

>Actually the "Achilles' heel" belongs to your COBOL.  Acucobol for one
>allows free format (by that I assume you mean not 80 card format) COBOL
>and is available for AIX.

>Sal

Strange, where "x = Micro Focus COBOL" (which I think is what he said he had
on AIX) it has supported free-format source code for years

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Info about COBOL and UNIX wanted.

Quote:

> > > The Achilles' heel of AIX is the lack of free format CoBOL.  I am
> > > happy with X as a development environment and see no raison d'^etre
> > > for CDE.

> > Actually the "Achilles' heel" belongs to your COBOL.  Acucobol for
> > one allows free format (by that I assume you mean not 80 card format)
> > COBOL and is available for AIX.

> Strange, where "x = Micro Focus COBOL" (which I think is what he said
> he had on AIX) it has supported free-format source code for years

Sorry guys, my mistake.  The original poster specifically asked which
CoBOL, but I started to ramble and forgot to mention that my clients are
using IBM CoBOL Set for AIX, which supports only reference format.  Many
people think of that CoBOL as part of AIX.  If I were setting up AIX for
myself, I would certainly try AcuCoBOL and Micro Focus CoBOL, but as a
contractor, I don't get to choose, so I don't have any personal
experience with these compilers under AIX to report.

--
Christopher Westbury, Midtown Associates, 15 Fallon Place, Cambridge, MA 02138

Sun, 16 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Info about COBOL and UNIX wanted.

Quote:

>We wrote COBOL on a Wang VS mini-computer system for over 14 years.
>David Furin                   |

>Information Systems Manager   | smail:  2600 St. Clair Ave. NE
>LaRich Distributors, Inc.     |         Cleveland, OH  44114  USA

Dave Furin?  Dave Furin?  Why does that sound familar?
Did you work for Creative Data Systems in Cleveland
on their Systems For Retailing application?

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Old RM-COBOL UNIX programmer seeking info on move to COBOL/400 on AS/400

2. Info/Advice needed on IBM Cobol 2 to MF Unix Cobol conversion

3. WANTED: Info on porting DecVAX Ada code to Unix

4. Info wanted: best way to learn Cobol

5. Cobol v.6 info wanted

6. Wanted: compatible ANSI C, Pascal, and COBOL for UNIX

7. COBOL/Unix Programmer. Job Wanted

8. US-FL-Cobol-vax-vms - WANTED Send info to 1076366@charter.net

9. MF Cobol 3.2 (or newer) for Unix wanted

10. US - FL - S.E. ****MAINFRAMMERS WANTED: COBOL,CICS,ASSEMBLER,UNIX***CONTRACT

11. COBOL Programmer (SCO Unix) Wanted

12. Migrating VAX/VMS COBOL to UNIX COBOL(Solaris)