tutorials
Author Message
 tutorials

I'd like to find a good "COBOL for Dummies" -type book or tutorial for,
er, my grandmother  ;-)

TIA

Augy Thiel

Tue, 18 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

augy thiel wrote to comp.lang.cobol:
:>I'd like to find a good "COBOL for Dummies" -type book or tutorial for,
:>er, my grandmother  ;-)

Now _there_ is a book I'd like to see written by IDG.  God knows they
write
every other title imaginable.  COBOL is a language that is so important
yet so few people know it.  It would be nice to have a reference manual
for laymen so they could at least pretend they know something :-)

RLS
Robert L. Stinnett                  | University of Missouri - Columbia

UMC - Columbia, MO.  CompSci '97    | http://www.missouri.edu/~c592073

Thu, 20 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

Quote:

> I'd like to find a good "COBOL for Dummies" -type book or tutorial for,
> er, my grandmother  ;-)

Heh.  No offense but you'll never find one.  COBOL is fast becoming an
obsolete language, which is why there aren't many "easy" books out there.
You're better off reading "C/C++ for Dummies".

Fri, 21 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

Quote:

> I'd like to find a good "COBOL for Dummies" -type book or tutorial for,
> er, my grandmother  ;-)

Ls> Heh.  No offense but you'll never find one.  COBOL is fast becoming
Ls> an obsolete language, which is why there aren't many "easy" books
Ls> out there. You're better off reading "C/C++ for Dummies".

Although there are more popular languages these days
there are several good COBOL books available, however
most bookstores do not carry any in stock. I do not have
enough experience to recommend the best book, but
I do know about a couple of COBOL books that I have
seen.

The book that was recommended for our COBOL class:

Structured COBOL Programming, by SHELL-CASHMAN-FOREMAN.
Boyd & Fraser Publishing Company, and I think
the ISBN is 0-87835-4-86-7. You may have to order it
from your local book store or if you have a college close
by, check with their bookstore. This book covers the different versions of COBOL, and does a good job with examples
as well.

Long before the "Dummies" series, was  Barron's Educational
Series. If you check with your local library you may be able to borrow a copy of Barron's  "Computer Programming in COBOL, The Easy Way" (ISBN 0-8120-2801-5). It has about everything
you would learn during the first semester of COBOL and is
very EASY to follow. An interesting side note, the book
guaranteed better grades in 30 days or you could return it for your money back. It does not cover the extra features of
COBOL 85 but everything it does cover can be be used
with COBOL85, once you mastered the basics, you can
get a more advanced book ( you did say you
wanted a "DUMMIE" type of book <G> ) .

Several COBOL books can be found at http://www.Amazon.com
and a few good ones at the Wiley Publishing web site,
but I don't remember the Wiley web address, may be
soemthing like www.wiley.com.

Greetings,
   joe
--- timEd/2 1.10
 * Origin:   0   (0:0/0)

Sat, 22 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

There is a "Teach yourself COBOL in 21 Days" book available.  Fairly
recently written also.

Quote:

--

Augy -

Tell your grandmother to call Mike Murach in Stockton, CA. He has an
800 number. His books are basic and close to many programmers' desks.
They are in my overhead shelves. He has two COBOL texts and if you
order them both youshould be OK. BTW, all his texts come with a lifetime
money-back guarantee, should you decide at some time they do not fill
your needs. I have always found his texts useful and they are the ones
I turn to first.

Sat, 22 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

Quote:

>> I'd like to find a good "COBOL for Dummies" -type book or tutorial for,
>> er, my grandmother  ;-)

>Heh.  No offense but you'll never find one.  COBOL is fast becoming an
>obsolete language, which is why there aren't many "easy" books out there.
>You're better off reading "C/C++ for Dummies".

I've been hearing about COBOL dying for at least the last 10-15 years.
Just when is this supposed to happen?

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

Quote:

>> I'd like to find a good "COBOL for Dummies" -type book or tutorial for,
>> er, my grandmother  ;-)

>Heh.  No offense but you'll never find one.  COBOL is fast becoming an
>obsolete language, which is why there aren't many "easy" books out there.
>You're better off reading "C/C++ for Dummies".

No offense, but non-Cobol programmers have been saying that for the 15
years.  I just completed a full-semester of C++ last Spring and I fail
to see what the big deal is.  Micro Focus COBOL 95 (4.0) which uses
'object-oriented' COBOL does basically the same thing C++ does but is
much easier to read.  Even the textbook we used, Learning C++, said
that COBOL is still the most used language in the world, with C++
right on its tail.

As far as a COBOL for Dummies,  IDG shouldn't bother because the
Dummies  books I've seen (C++, PowerBuilder, HTML) left out a lot of
material.  There is plenty of good books at BORDERS bookstore.

  jerrware

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

begin 644 accadder.zip
<uuencoded_portion_removed>

`
end

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

Quote:
>> I'd like to find a good "COBOL for Dummies" -type book or tutorial for,
>> er, my grandmother  ;-)

>Ls> Heh.  No offense but you'll never find one.  COBOL is fast becoming
>Ls> an obsolete language, which is why there aren't many "easy" books
>Ls> out there. You're better off reading "C/C++ for Dummies".

>Although there are more popular languages these days
>there are several good COBOL books available, however
>most bookstores do not carry any in stock. I do not have
>enough experience to recommend the best book, but
>I do know about a couple of COBOL books that I have
>seen.

You may also look for Stern & Stern: "Structured COBOL programming".

I find it quite easy to read and understand, and it includes features for both
'74 and '85 and even discusses new ways to do it in '9X ('97).
I have the 7. edition, from 1984, but I guess there is a newer one out. My
version is ISBN 0-471-30580-4 and it's a Wiley book.

--
Rune Meier               *  Ulfstens gate 1 c   * Phone: +47 22 59 23 91
Agder College (HIA)      *      0355 OSLO       * Mobile:+47 907 36 191

********              http://www.krs.hia.no/~rmeier                  **********

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

        I will be retired back home in Minnesota before COBOL
        completely dies and I still 12 years before I am eligible
        to retire.

                                Jim Mitchell

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 tutorials

Huh? So that I am clear, please define "COBOL is fast becoming an obsolete language".

Mon, 24 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Smalltalk Books/Tutorial - Tutorial for GNU

2. awk Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

3. Java Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

4. Guile Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

5. awk Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

6. Guile Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

7. Guile Tutorial: Fees Reduced and Tutorial Descriptions for

8. Need help unzipping tutorial

9. Smalltalk Express tutorials

10. Tutorial's for SS 2003

11. newbe tutorials