MF Fileshare v2 Limits
Author Message
 MF Fileshare v2 Limits

I have been told that a fileshare server has a limit of 255 attached
clients.  I've looked (and looked) through the manuals and can't find any
reference to this except in the description of error 9/125 but I could
easily have missed it.

Does anybody know if this is a true limit or just a default which can be
changed?

We're working with mf cobol 4.0 and 4.1 on hp unix and aix.

We're not using fileshare for networking or roll forward recovery but just
for transaction commitment control with client and server on the same box.
We liked fileshare because, as it opens files exclusively, it allows file
sizes of over 1 gigabyte.

Does anyone know if commitment control works ok under the normal mf file
system just opening the files for shared access?

I guess we should have pushed our AS400 solution where the only worry about
file sizes and number of users is how much kit to buy.

tia
Rick

Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Fileshare v2 Limits
From  my sources at MF,

"From 4.0 onwards Fileshare allows up to 65535 simultaneous client
connections.

Transaction processing support is not provided outside of Fileshare."

Does this answer the question?

Note: (not from MF) - anything MF says, can  (and often is) modified when
you talk about the HP "port" of their product.  HP does funny things with
the Micro Focus product, so you may find what works under AIX (at the same
level) doesn't always work with HP.

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:
>I have been told that a fileshare server has a limit of 255 attached
>clients.  I've looked (and looked) through the manuals and can't find any
>reference to this except in the description of error 9/125 but I could
>easily have missed it.

>Does anybody know if this is a true limit or just a default which can be
>changed?

>We're working with mf cobol 4.0 and 4.1 on hp unix and aix.

>We're not using fileshare for networking or roll forward recovery but just
>for transaction commitment control with client and server on the same box.
>We liked fileshare because, as it opens files exclusively, it allows file
>sizes of over 1 gigabyte.

>Does anyone know if commitment control works ok under the normal mf file
>system just opening the files for shared access?

>I guess we should have pushed our AS400 solution where the only worry about
>file sizes and number of users is how much kit to buy.

>tia
>Rick

Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 MF Fileshare v2 Limits
Ta Bill

Just what I want.

Rick

Quote:

>From  my sources at MF,

>"From 4.0 onwards Fileshare allows up to 65535 simultaneous client
>connections.

>Transaction processing support is not provided outside of Fileshare."

>Does this answer the question?

>Note: (not from MF) - anything MF says, can  (and often is) modified when
>you talk about the HP "port" of their product.  HP does funny things with
>the Micro Focus product, so you may find what works under AIX (at the same
>level) doesn't always work with HP.

>--
>Bill Klein
>    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

>>I have been told that a fileshare server has a limit of 255 attached
>>clients.  I've looked (and looked) through the manuals and can't find any
>>reference to this except in the description of error 9/125 but I could
>>easily have missed it.

>>Does anybody know if this is a true limit or just a default which can be
>>changed?

>>We're working with mf cobol 4.0 and 4.1 on hp unix and aix.

>>We're not using fileshare for networking or roll forward recovery but just
>>for transaction commitment control with client and server on the same box.
>>We liked fileshare because, as it opens files exclusively, it allows file
>>sizes of over 1 gigabyte.

>>Does anyone know if commitment control works ok under the normal mf file
>>system just opening the files for shared access?

>>I guess we should have pushed our AS400 solution where the only worry
about
>>file sizes and number of users is how much kit to buy.

>>tia
>>Rick

Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. MF Fileshare V2 - Unix.

2. ADV: PC-Mac-Net FileShare v2.2 adds interface enhancements

3. Fileshare v2

4. FileShare V2 on Digital Unix 4.0

5. Microfocus Fileshare V2 & NetExpress

6. MF Fileshare and CCITCP2

7. MF Fileshare - best platform?

8. Merant (MF) Fileshare Crash Problem

9. MF Cobol under SCO Unix with Fileshare

10. MF FileShare - Rollback on server crash

11. HELP WITH MF FILESHARE 2.0

12. MF FileShare on Sinix/Unix