Printing Compiler Listings
Author Message
 Printing Compiler Listings

This is actually an operating system question, but it arises
out of my use of Fujitsu COBOL.  I can get the compiler to
generate listings at the time that the source code is
compiled.  The compiled code includes page breaks which show
up in note pad as little square blocks on the page.  This is
how they print when I send the content to the printer.  The
little square block is actually an ASCII '0C'h.

I have written a small VB [:(] program to read and translate
the '0C'h into a page break, but there ought to be a simpler
way to print properly formatted compiler listings.  Any help
or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Floyd H. Johnson

+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+

+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
|         http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

| If you think you understand Him,
|
|               then you really do not know HIM !!

Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Compiler Listings
On Sun, 23 May 1999 15:53:20 -0400, Floyd Johnson

Quote:

>This is actually an operating system question, but it arises
>out of my use of Fujitsu COBOL.  I can get the compiler to
>generate listings at the time that the source code is
>compiled.

Have you tried editing the listing with the Fujitsu editor and using
the PRINT icon?  My Lexmark 5700 is out of ink right now so I can't
try it.  BTW:  NO ONE has any cartridges for this darn thing.  It
prints like a DREAM, laser quality (1200dpi) but if I can't get the
cartridges.......

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Compiler Listings

Quote:
>I have written a small VB [:(] program to read and translate
>the '0C'h into a page break, but there ought to be a simpler
>way to print properly formatted compiler listings.  Any help
>or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Another thing to try would be to print it as a text file from DOS. What you
actually have is a printer image of your listing. This means the file is
formatted to be printed from DOS. Assuming my assumptions are correct.

Just in case you have forgotten how to print from DOS:

c:\> TYPE "LONG FILE NAME.LISTING" >> LPT1

to set up lpt1:

C:\> MODE LPT1: cols=80 lines=6

where obviously, <cols> is the column width of the page (80 or 132) and
<lines> is the lines per inch, 6 or 8.

SEE ATTACHED BAT FILE
- place BAT file in dir where listing is, or create shortcut on desktop
- drag file from explorer onto BAT file or shortcut and file will be printed
minus the rectangles.

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Compiler Listings

Quote:

>>I have written a small VB [:(] program to read and translate
>>the '0C'h into a page break, but there ought to be a simpler
>>way to print properly formatted compiler listings.  Any help
>>or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thank you.

>Another thing to try would be to print it as a text file from DOS. What you
>actually have is a printer image of your listing. This means the file is
>formatted to be printed from DOS. Assuming my assumptions are correct.

>Just in case you have forgotten how to print from DOS:

>c:\> TYPE "LONG FILE NAME.LISTING" >> LPT1

>to set up lpt1:

>C:\> MODE LPT1: cols=80 lines=6

>where obviously, <cols> is the column width of the page (80 or 132) and
><lines> is the lines per inch, 6 or 8.

>SEE ATTACHED BAT FILE
>- place BAT file in dir where listing is, or create shortcut on desktop
>- drag file from explorer onto BAT file or shortcut and file will be
printed
>minus the rectangles.

Furthermore you could create a file association to ".LST" files and create
an action of PRINT. Then you will be able to right click on the file and
choose print and the file will be sent to your LPT1 port as if you printed
it from DOS. This only works when printing from the machine the printer is
directly attached to, not over a network. That is beyond my knowledge.

begin 666 letmeprint.bat

"#0H`
`
end

Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Compiler Listings

Quote:

> Have you tried editing the listing with the Fujitsu editor and using
> the PRINT icon?  My Lexmark 5700 is out of ink right now so I can't
> try it.  BTW:  NO ONE has any cartridges for this darn thing.  It
> prints like a DREAM, laser quality (1200dpi) but if I can't get the
> cartridges.......

This did not work - actually it got worse [:(].  Using the
editor to print puts the column indicator (as it appears at
the top of the editor) onto every print page.  The boxes
(i.e. ASCII '0C'h) still appear in the midst of the code
with no efficient line breaks.

+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Voice  : (716) 594 - 0942   | 87 Parkway Drive

+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
|        http://www.netins.net/showcase/nwc-iowa/

| If you think you understand Him,
|
|               then you really do not know HIM !!

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Compiler Listings

Quote:

> Another thing to try would be to print it as a text file from DOS.
> What you actually have is a printer image of your listing. This
> means the file is formatted to be printed from DOS.

Not a DOS function but an old printer code.  The ASCII '0C'h
is the old ASCII code for page break.  Most old dot matrix
printers recognized this code and generated a page break.
Unforunately (at least in this instance) the only printers
that I currently have available use either ink jet or laser
technologies.  Apparently, these "improvements" no longer
recognize the ASCII '0C'h as a simple page break command.

Quote:
> Just in case you have forgotten how to print from DOS:
>      c:\> TYPE "LONG FILE NAME.LISTING" >> LPT1
> to set up lpt1:
>      C:\> MODE LPT1: cols=80 lines=6

I'll give it a try - but I think I may have tried this a
while back when I was dealing with other issues and didn't
want to worry about the printer.  Now is the time to worry
about the printer [:)].  Thanks for the tip.

QUESTION:  Since this seems to be a new issue without a
standard answer, can I conclude that in industry that
compiler generated listings are only rarely used in current
practice?  I know its true when I use VB for my production
work, but hadn't even asked the question given my use of
hardcopy as part of the grading process for COBOL or C++ or
whatever.

+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Voice  : (716) 594 - 0942   | 87 Parkway Drive

+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
|        http://www.netins.net/showcase/nwc-iowa/

| If you think you understand Him,
|
|               then you really do not know HIM !!

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Compiler Listings

Quote:

> This is actually an operating system question, but it arises
> out of my use of Fujitsu COBOL.  I can get the compiler to
> generate listings at the time that the source code is
> compiled.  The compiled code includes page breaks which show
> up in note pad as little square blocks on the page.  This is
> how they print when I send the content to the printer.  The
> little square block is actually an ASCII '0C'h.

I import these into Word for windows (word perfect / whatever) and
print them off no problems.  You may have to reset the page
definitions to get it to work cleanly.

My program dumps tend to go through Word and get set to 6 point
(you want a clear printer for this though).

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Compiler Listings

Quote:
>Unforunately (at least in this instance) the only printers
>that I currently have available use either ink jet or laser
>technologies.  Apparently, these "improvements" no longer
>recognize the ASCII '0C'h as a simple page break command.

These are not improvements they are variations from the standard. If your
printer does not accept standard ASCII character codes it has varied from
the standard which has been established. I have tested my example on an
Epson Stylus 400 color inkjet printer. It worked just fine and feed the
pages at the designated page breaks.

Quote:
>QUESTION:  Since this seems to be a new issue without a
>standard answer, can I conclude that in industry that
>compiler generated listings are only rarely used in current
>practice?  I know its true when I use VB for my production
>work, but hadn't even asked the question given my use of
>hardcopy as part of the grading process for COBOL or C++ or
>whatever.

Compiler listings are used in production, however in my experience the most
prevalent use is for the auditor geeks who insist on a paper trail. It is
very important for determining the compiler options used when the load
module was compiled and for tracing down some abends. This has been used
less and less due to Abend -Aid and other utilities. For tracking purposes
they can't be beat, although hard copies aren't really needed any more with
the advent of CD recorders and improvements in tape storage.

They are rarely used. Hopefully some day we will no longer need them, but
for now they are a necessary evil.

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Creating printed source code listings

2. Compiler Error Listing

3. Set the wide of the compiler output listing ?

4. New Listing of Validated Ada Compilers

5. New Listing of Validated Ada Compilers Now Available on Ada20

6. Compiler listings

7. Fujitsu 6.0 compiler Listing

8. Compiler listings

9. Old Fortran Compiler Listing (FASTRAN)

10. Generate Assembly Listing with AIX XL FORTRAN Compiler

11. Compiled Listing from Unix Fortran Compiler

12. PRINT PREVIEWER FREEWARE - FormView - Views HP PCL Print Output / Prints PCL to ANY WINDOWS PRINTER