Cobol isn't dead, but ... 
Author Message
 Cobol isn't dead, but ...

Our company has about 2 million lines Cobol code for our buisness
application. The program is running in character mode. Now customers
want a GUI version of our program. After testing Tools like Visual
Object Cobol from Micro Focus and Workbench 4.0 from MF I think that
Cobol or even Object Cobol is not the language for writing GUI
programs!  

Yes, you can do it in Cobol, too, but at what costs. If you compare
developing environments like delphi or Visual C++ to Visual Object Cobol
you see the difference in programming speed of the GUI.

It seems, that Cobol will be alive in some kind of Client/Server
Environment, where Cobol does the buisness logic and C++, Delphi or
anything else does the GUI.

------------------------
Gerhard Weinberger
Voice: ++43-7252-883
Fax:   ++43-7242-883 66

CIS:   100101,3515
------------------------



Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol isn't dead, but ...

Try Cobol SpII from Flexus.  They have a very nice GUI interface and
easy to use.  I am using there product to convert all my system to
GUI.  If you need more info, send me an e-mail.

There web site is  www.flexus.com

Tony M. Mina

Quote:

>Our company has about 2 million lines Cobol code for our buisness
>application. The program is running in character mode. Now customers
>want a GUI version of our program. After testing Tools like Visual
>Object Cobol from Micro Focus and Workbench 4.0 from MF I think that
>Cobol or even Object Cobol is not the language for writing GUI
>programs!  
>Yes, you can do it in Cobol, too, but at what costs. If you compare
>developing environments like Delphi or Visual C++ to Visual Object Cobol
>you see the difference in programming speed of the GUI.
>It seems, that Cobol will be alive in some kind of Client/Server
>Environment, where Cobol does the buisness logic and C++, Delphi or
>anything else does the GUI.
>------------------------
>Gerhard Weinberger
>Voice: ++43-7252-883
>Fax:   ++43-7242-883 66

>CIS:   100101,3515
>------------------------



Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol isn't dead, but ...

Quote:

>snip<

> It seems, that Cobol will be alive in some kind of Client/Server
> Environment, where Cobol does the buisness logic and C++, Delphi or
> anything else does the GUI.

At our shop with a few million lines of COBOL code there is a new system being
developed to replace it.  Guess what, the old COBOL system looks like it will still do
a lot of the processing, with a GUI from the new system giving the customers something
pretty to enter data in.

Adamints will soon be dead.  Any COBOL programmers out there using adamints to access
adabas?

Mark
--
Get me an Advil.  I have Olympic fever.



Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol isn't dead, but ...

Try Acucobol (www.acucobol.com)



Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol isn't dead, but ...

Quote:

>Our company has about 2 million lines Cobol code for our buisness
>application. The program is running in character mode. Now customers
>want a GUI version of our program. After testing Tools like Visual
>Object Cobol from Micro Focus and Workbench 4.0 from MF I think that
>Cobol or even Object Cobol is not the language for writing GUI
>programs!  

I disagree.  Too many people assume that programming tools which work
well for one Company work well for all Companies and that's just not
true.  A wise man once said, "All generalizations are false, including
this one."

COBOL may not be the language for writing GUI applications for *your*
specific programming team, but I speak with Companies every day who
tell me that they would *never* consider writing in anything but
COBOL, including the GUI part.

Quote:
>Yes, you can do it in Cobol, too, but at what costs. If you compare
>developing environments like Delphi or Visual C++ to Visual Object Cobol
>you see the difference in programming speed of the GUI.

I speak with programmers every day about COBOL GUI development (that's
my job) and I have been told many times that programming teams have
attempted to develop applications in Visual C++, VB, etc. only to find
that the resulting maintenance effort is *much* higher and more time
consuming.

Remember, new development is only 20% of the job.  The 80% of the job
that everyone always seems to ignore is the ongoing maintenance
effort.

Quote:
>It seems, that Cobol will be alive in some kind of Client/Server
>Environment, where Cobol does the buisness logic and C++, Delphi or
>anything else does the GUI.
>------------------------
>Gerhard Weinberger
>Voice: ++43-7252-883
>Fax:   ++43-7242-883 66

>CIS:   100101,3515
>------------------------

Bob Wolfe, flexus

Check out The Flexus COBOL Page at:  http://www.flexus.com


Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol isn't dead, but ...

Have you tried APS for Client/Server by INTERSOLV?

Quote:

> Our company has about 2 million lines Cobol code for our buisness
> application. The program is running in character mode. Now customers
> want a GUI version of our program. After testing Tools like Visual
> Object Cobol from Micro Focus and Workbench 4.0 from MF I think that
> Cobol or even Object Cobol is not the language for writing GUI
> programs!

> Yes, you can do it in Cobol, too, but at what costs. If you compare
> developing environments like Delphi or Visual C++ to Visual Object Cobol
> you see the difference in programming speed of the GUI.

> It seems, that Cobol will be alive in some kind of Client/Server
> Environment, where Cobol does the buisness logic and C++, Delphi or
> anything else does the GUI.

> ------------------------
> Gerhard Weinberger
> Voice: ++43-7252-883
> Fax:   ++43-7242-883 66

> CIS:   100101,3515
> ------------------------

--
------

web:    http://incolor.inetnebr.com/chanson


Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 Cobol isn't dead, but ...

Quote:

> Have you tried APS for Client/Server by INTERSOLV?

No!

I'll give the flexus tools a try ...

Quote:


> > Our company has about 2 million lines Cobol code for our buisness
> > application. The program is running in character mode. Now customers
> > want a GUI version of our program. After testing Tools like Visual
> > Object Cobol from Micro Focus and Workbench 4.0 from MF I think that
> > Cobol or even Object Cobol is not the language for writing GUI
> > programs!

> > Yes, you can do it in Cobol, too, but at what costs. If you compare
> > developing environments like Delphi or Visual C++ to Visual Object Cobol
> > you see the difference in programming speed of the GUI.

> > It seems, that Cobol will be alive in some kind of Client/Server
> > Environment, where Cobol does the buisness logic and C++, Delphi or
> > anything else does the GUI.

> > ------------------------
> > Gerhard Weinberger
> > Voice: ++43-7252-883
> > Fax:   ++43-7242-883 66

> > CIS:   100101,3515
> > ------------------------

> --
> ------

> web:    http://incolor.inetnebr.com/chanson

--
------------------------
Gerhard Weinberger
BMD Systemhaus
Austria
Voice: ++43-7252-883
Fax:   ++43-7242-883 66

CIS:   100101,3515
------------------------


Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. COBOL isn't dead, but I'm learning C++

2. DEAD DEAD DEAD

3. COBOL isn't a dead language... is it? -Reply

4. COBOL isn't a dead language... is it?

5. COBOL is Dead! Long Live COBOL

6. Why isn't Haskell mainstream?---A newbie's view

7. GNU Script isn't fixing something that's broken, so is doomed

8. GNU Script isn't fixing something that's broken, so is doomed

9. GNU Script isn't fixing something that's broken, so is doomed

10. route finding 'dead-end'

11. But Smalltalk isn't mainstream - response

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software