User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?
Author Message
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?

Does anybody know how to write a function in micro-focus
cobol 3.4?  Even better, could anyone show or steer me to
a working example?  We're scrambling to remediate our programs
for y2k compliance at work, and to be able to write our own
functions would be of tremendous help.

BTW, since this is my first delurk within the cobol newsgroups,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you
folks for providing such a tremendous resource.  Particular
thanks to Judson McClendon.

Walkersville, MD

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?

Quote:

>Does anybody know how to write a function in micro-focus
>cobol 3.4?  Even better, could anyone show or steer me to
>a working example?  We're scrambling to remediate our programs
>for y2k compliance at work, and to be able to write our own
>functions would be of tremendous help.

I use MF COBOL 3.2, and have heard that it supports user written
functions.  However, I can't find reference to it in the manuals,
or in the sample code supplied by Micro Focus.  If somebody knows
for sure, I would like to know too.

Quote:
>BTW, since this is my first delurk within the cobol newsgroups,
>I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you
>folks for providing such a tremendous resource.  Particular
>thanks to Judson McClendon.

You're very welcome, Dave.
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:06:45 GMT, "Judson McClendon"

Quote:

>I use MF COBOL 3.2, and have heard that it supports user written
>functions.  However, I can't find reference to it in the manuals,
>or in the sample code supplied by Micro Focus.  If somebody knows
>for sure, I would like to know too.

Are you not confusing it with installable functions? (INSTALLF style)

These let you install assembler functions and use them like they were
runtime routines.

It's not the same as functions in C or Pascal. In COBOL I usually use
the often maligned ENTRY statement for that.

eg.
working-storage section.
01 stuff        pic(x).

linkage section.
01 a               pic x(10).
01 b               pic x(10).
01 c               pic x.
procedure division.
   if stuff = 'Y'
       display 'You've already done stuff'
   else
       move 'Y' to stuff
   end-if
   exit program.
   stop run.

entry 'func-a' using a,c.
    perform do-a
    exit program.

entry 'func-b' using a, b,c.
    perform do-b
    exit program.

do-a section.
    display a
    move 'a' to c.

do-b section.
    display a
    display b
    move 'b' to c.

or something like that (ie. I haven't compiled that so it may not work
;-) )

The calling program needs to call the program then it can call the
entry points unless your using DLL's

--
Shaun

GoFar MTB mag (issue 0.9 now available)      http://www.gofar.demon.co.uk/

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?

Quote:

>>I use MF COBOL 3.2, and have heard that it supports user written
>>functions.  However, I can't find reference to it in the manuals,
>>or in the sample code supplied by Micro Focus.  If somebody knows
>>for sure, I would like to know too.

>Are you not confusing it with installable functions? (INSTALLF style)

>These let you install assembler functions and use them like they were
>runtime routines.

Not knowingly. :-)  There have been newsgroup discussions about creating
callable subroutines and functions in COBOL.  At some point I believe
someone stated that MF COBOL has the facility (non standard of course),
to create user written functions in COBOL.  It is possible that I do not
remember correctly (my memory is getting older like the rest of me :),
or that the poster was mistaken, or that it is in a different version of
MF COBOL than I have.
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?
I wish the original person who asked the question would "jump in" and
explain what they really want.

1)  If you are using "function" just because you aren't used to the term
"sub-program" - then every COBOL compiler supports this (many/most allow
interlanguage "Calls" so the caller can be C and the callee COBOL or vice
versa)

2) If by "function" you mean that the "called thing" must RETURN a value,
then Micro Focus, IBM, Fujitsu, CA (and probably several others) - ALL have
an extension to allow a RETURNING option on an EXIT PROGRAM statement.

3) If you are looking at a way to create a "user-defined" function that can
be used in COBOL in syntax like:

  Move Function I-wrote-it-myself (parm1 parm2) to Somewhere

then this feature WAS introduced by Micro Focus quite a while ago - and will
be in the next Standard.  Look in the MF documentation under such topics as
"user-defined functions" and "function proto-type".  I can't remember which
release introduced it - but if you can't find it, I'll check with my MF
sources to get more detail.

4) If you are talking about "installation" options, then we need a lot more
information on what you really want.

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:

>>>I use MF COBOL 3.2, and have heard that it supports user written
>>>functions.  However, I can't find reference to it in the manuals,
>>>or in the sample code supplied by Micro Focus.  If somebody knows
>>>for sure, I would like to know too.

>>Are you not confusing it with installable functions? (INSTALLF style)

>>These let you install assembler functions and use them like they were
>>runtime routines.

>Not knowingly. :-)  There have been newsgroup discussions about creating
>callable subroutines and functions in COBOL.  At some point I believe
>someone stated that MF COBOL has the facility (non standard of course),
>to create user written functions in COBOL.  It is possible that I do not
>remember correctly (my memory is getting older like the rest of me :),
>or that the poster was mistaken, or that it is in a different version of
>MF COBOL than I have.
>--

>Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc
>"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
>whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?
My humblest apologies to Mr Klein for being unclear.  I've always thought of functions and
subprograms as two different animals, but had I shown an example of what I meant it would have
avoided the confusion.

I want to be able to write my own function, in Micro-Focus COBOL version 3.4, to operate just
like an intrinsic function.  Here is an example:
               MOVE FUNCTION MYFUNC (ARG1 ARG2 ARGn) TO WHATEVER.

Now to follow up further with a bit more info about what got me onto this track.....

I was browsing a website containing a really excellent Report Writer tutorial (see
" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;) that eventually segued into a discussion about
user-written COBOL functions.  These functions are apparently invoked just like the pre-canned
intrinsic functions are.  After reading about this, and naively presuming that this was a
cobol-standard feature, I e{*filter*}dly wrote up my own simple function program -- but when I checked
my MF manuals to figure out how to link it to a calling program I found absolutely no references
to user-written functions, nor about Function Control Areas.  I've been clinically depressed ever
since.

(By the way, if you would like to see the user-written function discussion, go to
" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, select "Special Topics", and then select
"Developing User-written Functions".)

The Report Writer tutorial also described how to conditionally generate detail lines, but my
hopes were similarly dashed when I found no references to "PRESENT WHEN" in my MF-cobol manuals.
 But I still think it's a great tutorial.  Even though some of its clauses aren't universal, it
still explains the basic Report Writer concepts many times better than the MF manuals do.  It
also includes some working examples.  I highly recommend it.

Thanks,
Dave Miner

Quote:

>I wish the original person who asked the question would "jump in" and
>explain what they really want.

>1)  If you are using "function" just because you aren't used to the term
>"sub-program" - then every COBOL compiler supports this (many/most allow
>interlanguage "Calls" so the caller can be C and the callee COBOL or vice
>versa)

>2) If by "function" you mean that the "called thing" must RETURN a value,
>then Micro Focus, IBM, Fujitsu, CA (and probably several others) - ALL have
>an extension to allow a RETURNING option on an EXIT PROGRAM statement.

>3) If you are looking at a way to create a "user-defined" function that can
>be used in COBOL in syntax like:

>  Move Function I-wrote-it-myself (parm1 parm2) to Somewhere

>then this feature WAS introduced by Micro Focus quite a while ago - and will
>be in the next Standard.  Look in the MF documentation under such topics as
>"user-defined functions" and "function proto-type".  I can't remember which
>release introduced it - but if you can't find it, I'll check with my MF
>sources to get more detail.

>4) If you are talking about "installation" options, then we need a lot more
>information on what you really want.

>--
>Bill Klein
>    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

>>>Are you not confusing it with installable functions? (INSTALLF style)

>>>These let you install assembler functions and use them like they were
>>>runtime routines.

>>Not knowingly. :-)  There have been newsgroup discussions about creating
>>callable subroutines and functions in COBOL.  At some point I believe
>>someone stated that MF COBOL has the facility (non standard of course),
>>to create user written functions in COBOL.  It is possible that I do not
>>remember correctly (my memory is getting older like the rest of me :),
>>or that the poster was mistaken, or that it is in a different version of
>>MF COBOL than I have.
>>--

>>Sun Valley Systems     http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~judmc
>>"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
>>whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?
Both USER-DEFINED functions and all the PRESENT WHEN stuff *will* be in the
next COBOL Standard (assuming it ever gets done and doesn't change).

"User-defined functions" are available with Micro Focus COBOL - but I think
(if my memory serves me correctly) they were still "early release" in the
3.4 product (which is so old that I actually still worked for them when it
was supported).

I'll pass this on to MF people, but you should check:

A) in your Early-Release dox/disk

B) see if Function-ID works in the Identification Division of your program
when you run with the highest MF(nn) directive - and might try the
early-release directive as well.

As my memory goes for the 3.4 product, you needed to define your functions
with each compile (probably via a COPY statement) - but I may not remember
the full syntax or rules any more.

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:

>My humblest apologies to Mr Klein for being unclear.  I've always thought
of functions and
>subprograms as two different animals, but had I shown an example of what I
meant it would have
>avoided the confusion.

>I want to be able to write my own function, in Micro-Focus COBOL version

3.4, to operate just
Quote:
>like an intrinsic function.  Here is an example:
>               MOVE FUNCTION MYFUNC (ARG1 ARG2 ARGn) TO WHATEVER.

>Now to follow up further with a bit more info about what got me onto this
track.....

>I was browsing a website containing a really excellent Report Writer
tutorial (see
>" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;) that eventually segued into
a discussion about
>user-written COBOL functions.  These functions are apparently invoked just
like the pre-canned
>intrinsic functions are.  After reading about this, and naively presuming
that this was a
>cobol-standard feature, I e{*filter*}dly wrote up my own simple function

program -- but when I checked
Quote:
>my MF manuals to figure out how to link it to a calling program I found

absolutely no references
Quote:
>to user-written functions, nor about Function Control Areas.  I've been

clinically depressed ever
Quote:
>since.

>(By the way, if you would like to see the user-written function discussion,
go to
>" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, select "Special Topics", and
then select
>"Developing User-written Functions".)

>The Report Writer tutorial also described how to conditionally generate

detail lines, but my
Quote:
>hopes were similarly dashed when I found no references to "PRESENT WHEN" in

my MF-cobol manuals.
Quote:
> But I still think it's a great tutorial.  Even though some of its clauses

aren't universal, it
Quote:
>still explains the basic Report Writer concepts many times better than the
MF manuals do.  It
>also includes some working examples.  I highly recommend it.

>Thanks,
>Dave Miner

Quote:

>>I wish the original person who asked the question would "jump in" and
>>explain what they really want.

>>1)  If you are using "function" just because you aren't used to the term
>>"sub-program" - then every COBOL compiler supports this (many/most allow
>>interlanguage "Calls" so the caller can be C and the callee COBOL or vice
>>versa)

>>2) If by "function" you mean that the "called thing" must RETURN a value,
>>then Micro Focus, IBM, Fujitsu, CA (and probably several others) - ALL
have
>>an extension to allow a RETURNING option on an EXIT PROGRAM statement.

>>3) If you are looking at a way to create a "user-defined" function that
can
>>be used in COBOL in syntax like:

>>  Move Function I-wrote-it-myself (parm1 parm2) to Somewhere

>>then this feature WAS introduced by Micro Focus quite a while ago - and
will
>>be in the next Standard.  Look in the MF documentation under such topics
as
>>"user-defined functions" and "function proto-type".  I can't remember
which
>>release introduced it - but if you can't find it, I'll check with my MF
>>sources to get more detail.

>>4) If you are talking about "installation" options, then we need a lot
more
>>information on what you really want.

>>--
>>Bill Klein
>>    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

>>>Not knowingly. :-)  There have been newsgroup discussions about creating
>>>callable subroutines and functions in COBOL.  At some point I believe
>>>someone stated that MF COBOL has the facility (non standard of course),
>>>to create user written functions in COBOL.  It is possible that I do not
>>>remember correctly (my memory is getting older like the rest of me :),
>>>or that the poster was mistaken, or that it is in a different version of
>>>MF COBOL than I have.
>>>--

>>>Sun Valley Systems     http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~judmc
>>>"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
>>>whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?

"comp.lang.cobol" about: "Re: User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?" :

<....snop....>

-->Now to follow up further with a bit more info about what got me onto this
track.....
-->
[...]

Thanks for the link.  We are about to go into report writer in earnest (use it in
programs from the next one on.)  This reference looks pretty complete. For me is
extremely timely!  (I'll share the url with the class.)   TS

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
 typewriters, and Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare." Blair Houghton
*********No generalization is wholly true, not even this one**********

Thu, 05 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?
I have checked with the MF people - and they do NOT think that user-defined
functions were in the 3.4 product.  You might find (early release) support
for "vocabularies" - which would provide similar (but certainly NOT
identical) functionality.  The recommendation from MF is to wait for an
upcoming (no guarantee when) release that WILL support user-defined
functions in the manner that is defined in the (draft) Standard - hopefully
before the draft Standard changes its definition!

P.S.  The 3.4 product really is pretty old.  If you are looking for "new and
exciting" COBOL syntax, I would sure think that you might want to move to
one of the newer products/releases.

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:

>My humblest apologies to Mr Klein for being unclear.  I've always thought
of functions and
>subprograms as two different animals, but had I shown an example of what I
meant it would have
>avoided the confusion.

>I want to be able to write my own function, in Micro-Focus COBOL version

3.4, to operate just
Quote:
>like an intrinsic function.  Here is an example:
>               MOVE FUNCTION MYFUNC (ARG1 ARG2 ARGn) TO WHATEVER.

>Now to follow up further with a bit more info about what got me onto this
track.....

>I was browsing a website containing a really excellent Report Writer
tutorial (see
>" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;) that eventually segued into
a discussion about
>user-written COBOL functions.  These functions are apparently invoked just
like the pre-canned
>intrinsic functions are.  After reading about this, and naively presuming
that this was a
>cobol-standard feature, I e{*filter*}dly wrote up my own simple function

program -- but when I checked
Quote:
>my MF manuals to figure out how to link it to a calling program I found

absolutely no references
Quote:
>to user-written functions, nor about Function Control Areas.  I've been

clinically depressed ever
Quote:
>since.

>(By the way, if you would like to see the user-written function discussion,
go to
>" http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;, select "Special Topics", and
then select
>"Developing User-written Functions".)

>The Report Writer tutorial also described how to conditionally generate

detail lines, but my
Quote:
>hopes were similarly dashed when I found no references to "PRESENT WHEN" in

my MF-cobol manuals.
Quote:
> But I still think it's a great tutorial.  Even though some of its clauses

aren't universal, it
Quote:
>still explains the basic Report Writer concepts many times better than the
MF manuals do.  It
>also includes some working examples.  I highly recommend it.

>Thanks,
>Dave Miner

Quote:

>>I wish the original person who asked the question would "jump in" and
>>explain what they really want.

>>1)  If you are using "function" just because you aren't used to the term
>>"sub-program" - then every COBOL compiler supports this (many/most allow
>>interlanguage "Calls" so the caller can be C and the callee COBOL or vice
>>versa)

>>2) If by "function" you mean that the "called thing" must RETURN a value,
>>then Micro Focus, IBM, Fujitsu, CA (and probably several others) - ALL
have
>>an extension to allow a RETURNING option on an EXIT PROGRAM statement.

>>3) If you are looking at a way to create a "user-defined" function that
can
>>be used in COBOL in syntax like:

>>  Move Function I-wrote-it-myself (parm1 parm2) to Somewhere

>>then this feature WAS introduced by Micro Focus quite a while ago - and
will
>>be in the next Standard.  Look in the MF documentation under such topics
as
>>"user-defined functions" and "function proto-type".  I can't remember
which
>>release introduced it - but if you can't find it, I'll check with my MF
>>sources to get more detail.

>>4) If you are talking about "installation" options, then we need a lot
more
>>information on what you really want.

>>--
>>Bill Klein
>>    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

>>>Not knowingly. :-)  There have been newsgroup discussions about creating
>>>callable subroutines and functions in COBOL.  At some point I believe
>>>someone stated that MF COBOL has the facility (non standard of course),
>>>to create user written functions in COBOL.  It is possible that I do not
>>>remember correctly (my memory is getting older like the rest of me :),
>>>or that the poster was mistaken, or that it is in a different version of
>>>MF COBOL than I have.
>>>--

>>>Sun Valley Systems     http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~judmc
>>>"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
>>>whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:29:26 -0600, "William M. Klein"

Quote:

>P.S.  The 3.4 product really is pretty old.  If you are looking for "new and
>exciting" COBOL syntax, I would sure think that you might want to move to
>one of the newer products/releases.

1996 isn't that old but more significantly it's the only 16bit product
that is still supported by Micro Focus. (at least till June 1999
anyway)

There are still quite a few DOS based systems and Win3.1 systems that
rely on that or an earlier compiler. Architecturally, I have a couple
of systems that won't work on anything other than a 16bit compiler
without major work but those are not your usual COBOL DOS apps. Not
too many use XM API calls and dig about inside the concurrency calls
in the run-time for instance.

There is no point in upgrading to a Win32 platform for these apps
because the application in which they are used does not warrant a GUI
application. DOS is also significantly more robust than Windows.

So, I think it's a bit of a shame Micro Focus have left the low
overhead compiler market but that's progress I guess.

--
Shaun

GoFar MTB mag (issue 0.9 now available)      http://www.gofar.demon.co.uk/

Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?

Quote:

>So, I think it's a bit of a shame Micro Focus have left the low
>overhead compiler market but that's progress I guess.

In this case it's change, but not progress.
--

Sun Valley Systems    http://personal.bhm.bellsouth.net/~judmc

Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?
'Twas Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:17:34 GMT, when "Judson McClendon"

Quote:

>>So, I think it's a bit of a shame Micro Focus have left the low
>>overhead compiler market but that's progress I guess.

>In this case it's change, but not progress.

Unfortunately, the conventional wisdom is that people who are still
running Win 3.1 or MS-DOS are too cheap to spend much money on software.
*Nobody* is maintaining their 16-bit software.  Netscape writes their
software on Unix, then ports it to other platforms, but they think the
porting job is over when the program just barely runs.  Netscape 4 uses
some file access techniques that are disasterously slow on a 16-bit OS.
Their defense is that I should be happy they have a 16-bit version at all.

--
R B |\  Randall Bart

n r |\  1-310-542-6013      Please reply without spam       I Love You
d t ||\ Greatest Unisys A Series Programmer Available is Now Available
a    |/                 http://members.aol.com/PanicYr00/RBResume.html
l    |\ The Year 2000 Bugs:           http://members.aol.com/PanicYr00
l    |/ MS^7=6/28/107   http://members.aol.com/PanicYr00/Sequence.html

Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined functions in micro-focus cobol 3.4?

   <much snippage>

Quote:
>So, I think it's a bit of a shame Micro Focus have left the low
>overhead compiler market but that's progress I guess.

And from one former employee to another
   It is also certainly a true and accurate observation

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

Quote:

>--
>Shaun

>GoFar MTB mag (issue 0.9 now available)      http://www.gofar.demon.co.uk/

Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 30 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3]

 Relevant Pages

1. Micro Focus Workbench 3.4 and Win2000

2. Calling Cobol Functions from C programs. Micro Focus:

3. Micro Focus 2.4.38 EXTFH and Micro Focus 3.1.35 compiler

4. A User-Defined Function in COBOL

5. Accessing DLL's in MicroFocus 3.4

6. Visual Age cobol calling Micro Focus cobol

7. Micro Focus User Conferences Again?

8. MF Cobol 3.4 COBLIB.DLW conflict with Win98 SE client talking to NT4 server

9. Micro Focus Users group meeting, Seattle, October 17

10. novell user-name (micro focus)

11. MF COBOL 3.4 and COPY REPLACING...

12. Micro Focus User Conference Information