Fujitsu COBOL v3 spacing
Author Message
 Fujitsu COBOL v3 spacing

I'm new to Cobol and have noticed that trying to double space a report
line doesn't work.  An example line:

01 DETAIL-LINE TYPE IS DETAIL LINE NUMBER IS PLUS 2.

should double space, but no matter what number i use it always single
spaces.

My instructor tells me that in this version of Fujitsu Cobol double
spacing just isn't possible.  Anyone know a way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,
Eric Anderson

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:52:53 GMT
 Fujitsu COBOL v3 spacing

Quote:
> I'm new to Cobol and have noticed that trying to double space a
report
> line doesn't work.  An example line:

> 01 DETAIL-LINE TYPE IS DETAIL LINE NUMBER IS PLUS 2.

> should double space, but no matter what number i use it always
single
> spaces.

> My instructor tells me that in this version of Fujitsu Cobol double
> spacing just isn't possible.  Anyone know a way to achieve this?

> Thanks in advance,
> Eric Anderson

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:42:40 GMT
 Fujitsu COBOL v3 spacing

Quote:
> I'm new to Cobol and have noticed that trying to double space a
report
> line doesn't work.  An example line:

> 01 DETAIL-LINE TYPE IS DETAIL LINE NUMBER IS PLUS 2.

> should double space, but no matter what number i use it always
single
> spaces.

> My instructor tells me that in this version of Fujitsu Cobol double
> spacing just isn't possible.  Anyone know a way to achieve this?

The LINE NUMBER clause is used for sending a line to the screen (or so
my manual says having, in several decades, never seen a program that
uses it). Are you, in fact, trying to send a report to the screen? The
reason I ask, it that 'double space' usually refers to a printout.

If the latter, use WRITE DETAIL-LINE AFTER 2.

If the former (screen), and again, never having known anyone who has
ever used this feature, a clue from my manual is that "... the LINE
NUMBER clause with PLUS cannot be specified as the first screen item."
Don't use DETAIL-LINE for the{*filter*}line of your report.

As an aside, you've demonstrated two principles. First, human
instruction is a swell supplement to a book. In a book, all the
commands are seemingly equally useful, all the print is the same size,
and it's up to the uninitiated to hook stuff together. An instructor
can emphasize or dismiss things based on his experience, thereby
simplifying the student's road to competence.

Second, and this is just my opinion, your instructor may have missed
his aforementioned duty by a) asserting Fujitsu doesn't support
'double spacing' (which I feel is EXTREMELY unlikely), and b)
Assigning a project with 'LINE NUMBER IS PLUS...' constructs.

Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:57:08 GMT
 Fujitsu COBOL v3 spacing
Is this "detail line" clause in a REPORT section or in a SCREEN section?

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Quote:

> > I'm new to Cobol and have noticed that trying to double space a
> report
> > line doesn't work.  An example line:

> > 01 DETAIL-LINE TYPE IS DETAIL LINE NUMBER IS PLUS 2.

> > should double space, but no matter what number i use it always
> single
> > spaces.

> > My instructor tells me that in this version of Fujitsu Cobol double
> > spacing just isn't possible.  Anyone know a way to achieve this?

> The LINE NUMBER clause is used for sending a line to the screen (or so
> my manual says having, in several decades, never seen a program that
> uses it). Are you, in fact, trying to send a report to the screen? The
> reason I ask, it that 'double space' usually refers to a printout.

> If the latter, use WRITE DETAIL-LINE AFTER 2.

> If the former (screen), and again, never having known anyone who has
> ever used this feature, a clue from my manual is that "... the LINE
> NUMBER clause with PLUS cannot be specified as the first screen item."
> Don't use DETAIL-LINE for the{*filter*}line of your report.

> As an aside, you've demonstrated two principles. First, human
> instruction is a swell supplement to a book. In a book, all the
> commands are seemingly equally useful, all the print is the same size,
> and it's up to the uninitiated to hook stuff together. An instructor
> can emphasize or dismiss things based on his experience, thereby
> simplifying the student's road to competence.

> Second, and this is just my opinion, your instructor may have missed
> his aforementioned duty by a) asserting Fujitsu doesn't support
> 'double spacing' (which I feel is EXTREMELY unlikely), and b)
> Assigning a project with 'LINE NUMBER IS PLUS...' constructs.

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:11:17 GMT
 Fujitsu COBOL v3 spacing
The line is from the Report section.  I'm using a thing called a
report writer which, from the looks of things is a very simple way of
making a report.  Perhaps that is why you haven't seen it.  It appears
in my Textbook, "Advanced Structured COBOl", only in the report writer
section.  It says it is equivalent to the AFTER ADVANCING option.

In fairness to my instructor, we are in the first few weeks of the
class and have only looked at simple code and altered it.  I'm sure
that in the future we will be looking at more advanced and more used
code.

Thanks for your response,
Eric

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:09:27 GMT
 Fujitsu COBOL v3 spacing
OK - that is what I thought.

(Use of "report writer" is somewhat controversial in this newsgroup - but I
*like* it).

Now, my next question is whether you are look at a file or looking at the
output on a printer?  If it is going DIRECTLY to a printer, my guess is that
you WILL see double spacing.

If you send it to a file, then you will need to look at the file "in hex" to
see if there are line-feeds and/or carriage control characters in the file.
My *guess* is that there are such characters in the file, but they are not
showing up in the way you are "looking" at the print file.

--
Bill Klein
 wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

Quote:
> The line is from the Report section.  I'm using a thing called a
> report writer which, from the looks of things is a very simple way of
> making a report.  Perhaps that is why you haven't seen it.  It appears
> in my Textbook, "Advanced Structured COBOl", only in the report writer
> section.  It says it is equivalent to the AFTER ADVANCING option.

> In fairness to my instructor, we are in the first few weeks of the
> class and have only looked at simple code and altered it.  I'm sure
> that in the future we will be looking at more advanced and more used
> code.

> Thanks for your response,
> Eric

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:15:45 GMT

1. I need F3BHOPAS for Fujitsu's COBOL V3

2. Fujitsu COBOL v3.1

3. Fujitsu cobol V3

4. URGENT! Linking error in Fujitsu COBOL V3

5. entry point not defined error when linking in fujitsu cobol v3

6. fujitsu cobol v3

7. COBOL CGI programs w/Fujitsu v3 Starter

8. Help with linking on Fujitsu Cobol V3

9. Changing Printers with Fujitsu COBOL V3

10. NLS and Fujitsu Cobol V3

11. fujitsu cobol v3.0

12. Using Fujitsu COBOL V3 on Sun Solaris together with a C main program