Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench
Author Message
 Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench

I am attempting to do a relatively small Y2K fix to Wang COBOL using
MicroFocus Revolve together with either Workbench or NetExpress.  The code
is being fixed, then shipped back to the Wang.

Revolve mentions Wang as one of the supported dialects, or "Default COBOL"
versions.  Am hoping to pre-compile on Workbench to eliminate most of the
errors before shipping back to Wang.

Has anybody out there had any success in this.  Only the "old-timers" at
MicroFocus have heard even the mention of Wang over the years.

Thanks.

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.*-*-*.com/ - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench

Quote:

>I am attempting to do a relatively small Y2K fix to Wang COBOL using
>MicroFocus Revolve together with either Workbench or NetExpress.
>Has anybody out there had any success in this.  Only the "old-timers" at
>MicroFocus have heard even the mention of Wang over the years.

Sad.  I've been doing Wang VS Cobol for about 15 years now
and I still get comments from people that think that all
Wang ever made was calculators and word processors.  Granted,
they're not as prevelent as they used to be but this PC generation
glazes over at the thought that there might be other computers
besides Wintel boxes.

--

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench

>I am attempting to do a relatively small Y2K fix to Wang COBOL using
>MicroFocus Revolve together with either Workbench or NetExpress.  The code
>is being fixed, then shipped back to the Wang.

>Revolve mentions Wang as one of the supported dialects, or "Default COBOL"
>versions.  Am hoping to pre-compile on Workbench to eliminate most of the
>errors before shipping back to Wang.

>Has anybody out there had any success in this.  Only the "old-timers" at
>MicroFocus have heard even the mention of Wang over the years.

>Thanks.

I have verified with my Micro Focus sources that REVOLVE does have an option
that is supposed to "help" with WANG applications.  HOWEVER, the Micro Focus
Checker (compiler) still does NOT support a WANG dialect.

I don't know if this helps or hurts you - but I think it is the current
situation.

--
Bill Klein
    wmklein at ix dot netcom dot com

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench

Quote:

>>I am attempting to do a relatively small Y2K fix to Wang COBOL using
>>MicroFocus Revolve together with either Workbench or NetExpress.
>>Has anybody out there had any success in this.  Only the "old-timers" at
>>MicroFocus have heard even the mention of Wang over the years.
>Sad.  I've been doing Wang VS Cobol for about 15 years now
>and I still get comments from people that think that all
>Wang ever made was calculators and word processors.

Oh, I remember what I was going to say previously....

I've been exploring what would be involved in moving
Wang VS Cobol-75 to Fujitsu Cobol-85.  This is a "proof
of concept" exploration to see if it can be done and
how much effort would be needed.

Like most dialect migrations there is a lot of "search &
replace" steps needed...

    change % to .>
    remove NODISPLAY
    remove COMPRESSED
    change BINARY to PIC S9(5) BINARY

even the things related to screens start off smoothly

    change FIGURATIVE-CONSTANTS to SPECIAL-NAMES
                                       SYMBOLIC CONSTANTS
    remove the numeric identifier from ALTERNATE KEY
    change ROW to LINE
    change SOURCE to FROM
    change OBJECT to TO
    change SOURCE/OBJECT pairs to USING

Then the rough stuff begins.  All the *really* nice features
available on Wang systems begins to appear.  Things like the
ability to hang a TABLE or RANGE on a screen variable so that
input validation is done in the workstation and not in code.
I'll have to yank all those out and hand-code validation and
error message routines.

Some of the screen functions like reading & setting cursor
position using the ORDER-AREA and re-mapping 32 function keys
into the 12 that Fujitsu supports should just be relatively
easy but mildly painful.

Also painful will be giving up features like TIMEOUT and HOLDER;
those are the ability to sit on a locked record for a time and
if it doesn't free up return the UserID of the person holding.
That's another thing... security.  None.

The real pain comes when trying to live without Field Attribute
Characters (FACs) to control not only how a field is displayed
(blink, dim, bright, hide, underline) but also the input format
(numeric, alpha, upper, uplow).  I haven't reached that point
in the work but I expect small programs to explode with validation
code, exception handlers, error messages.

Funny thing is:  everyone that has ever used a Wang loved it.
Universally, they comment how much harder it is working on PCs.

Go figure.

Quote:
>--

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench

Quote:

> I am attempting to do a relatively small Y2K fix to Wang COBOL using
> MicroFocus Revolve together with either Workbench or NetExpress.  The code
> is being fixed, then shipped back to the Wang.

> Revolve mentions Wang as one of the supported dialects, or "Default COBOL"
> versions.  Am hoping to pre-compile on Workbench to eliminate most of the
> errors before shipping back to Wang.

> Has anybody out there had any success in this.  Only the "old-timers" at
> MicroFocus have heard even the mention of Wang over the years.

> Thanks.

I don't have any experience with Workbench.  I do have a Wang VS sitting
here on my desk, though, a 256-user system with Wang VS COBOL 74 on it.
Wang also has a COBOL 85 which I have used at other sites.  As far as I
know, the largest obstacle to compiling Wang COBOL on any other platform
would likely be the USAGE IS DISPLAY-WS if the program is interactive.
If it is not interactive and you get a funky compile error and want to
run it past me, I'll look at it to see if I can see where a Wang
extension to COBOL might be involved.

The "old-timers" at MicroFocus must be kids, or live in a cave.  Roughly
65,000 Wang VS systems were manufactured and shipped over the last 21 or
22 years.  There is still an installed base of VS systems, still
hardware and software support, and still new models being designed and
manufactured.  If you live in Colorado, your state lottery is run on
Wang VS.  If you live in Arkansas, your Dept. of Health matters are all
handled on a very nice network of very large and some small VS systems.
If you deal with The Hartford or Equitable insurance companies, Wang VS
computers process your insurance and/or manage massive image bases that
take the place of paper document files.  If you live in Oklahoma, the
generation of your electricity depends on Wang VS computers.  Major
funds transfer applications run on Wang VS systems at banks in New York,
New Zealand, Korea, and other places.  If you have a Dell or Compaq PC,
chances are that some of the internal cables were manufactured by a
supplier whose entire manufacturing control and accounting was run on
Wang VS systems.  If you've bought passive network components anytime in
the last 10 or 15 years from the largest present distributor of such
items, your order was entered on a VS and everything from the EDI
ordering of stock to your invoice was done on a VS.  Etc.

The most recent VS was officially released by Wang Global on March 22,
1999, the first VS that tops 1,000 users and devices.  It is the
VS18000, some 60 or 70 times faster than the original 32-user VS80 of
1977.  Also announced was VS Web Server, of which I am the author.

The VS supports nine or ten languages in an integrated development
environment.  The VS supports 17-way indexed files and
rollforward/rollback recovery at the OS level.  Record compression is an
option for most files, and is handled transparently by the file system
using the VS' hardware compression instructions.  Compression is the
default for indexed files and print files.  Shared Subroutine Libraries
(SSLs) have been commonly used in the VS since the mid-1980s, the
equivalent of DLLs.  Native VS workstations run a multitasking OS of
their own that manages up to four independent workstation windows and
accepts personality downloads as well as running code you can write in a
PL/I-type language.  PC client workstations can run over LAN/WAN using
TCP/IP.

The Wang PACE database and 4GL supports Host Language Interface database
statements in COBOL and RPG.  PACE can generate default applications
containing customizable navigable screens for list, display, add,
delete, modify, list add, list modify and query involving no code
generation whatsoever.  HLI table update & retrieval/default and
viewtable retrieval exits can be generated in skeleton form at the touch
of a button, ready to compile, complete except for the PROCEDURE
DIVISION code you may wish to add to perform custom functions.

The interactive workstation extensions in Wang COBOL are quite good,
unmatched as far as I know in other COBOLs.  A single DISPLAY-WS
statement creates an entire screen definition complete with literal
text, display-only fields, modifiable fields and field attributes.
Variable display data fields have COBOL variable items as source and/or
object, and FACs are accessible for modification by the program.
Procedural statements read and write to the workstation with full
control over individual field attributes and cursor position.  It's a
major headache to translate that kind of comprehensive workstation
interoperability from Wang COBOL to IBM mainframe COBOL or the little
machine COBOLs.  A lot of function usually has to be discarded along the
way.

The VS and VS COBOL are very much alive.  What's unusual is to hear of
VS COBOL programs being modified on a PC.  There's rarely any need to do
that.

Regards,

Thomas Junker

(remove the z's)

http://www.phoenix.net/~tjunker/wang.html
The Unofficial Wang VS Information Center

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench
Interesting. Sounds like the Wang Cobol program should be converted to e.g.
Cobol and CICS or similar combination of language and environment/package
for whatever platform. Or a precompiler (like the CICS preprocessor) should
translate the special stuff into calls to support routines which you could
write. If there's enough code to convert, this might be the better
approach, and could result in a marketable translator.

Robert M. Pritchett, President - RMP Consulting Partners LLC

"Quality means doing it right the first time!"
See http://www.headhunter.net/jobstv/0j/j04651mjxt8trch80j.htm?ShowJob
Contractors: tired of hearing "W-2 only"? Join us and let us help you get
that same contract on a 1099 as a self-employed independent contractor!

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench
Quote:

> Interesting. Sounds like the Wang Cobol program should be converted to e.g.
> Cobol and CICS or similar combination of language and environment/package
> for whatever platform. Or a precompiler (like the CICS preprocessor) should
> translate the special stuff into calls to support routines which you could
> write. If there's enough code to convert, this might be the better
> approach, and could result in a marketable translator.

There are already a number of translators for Wang COBOL.  We have had
great success with a product called "VUPort" from SanSoft, Inc,
(http://www.sansoft.com) which pre-compiles our Wang syntax for Micro
Focus COBOL, inserting calls to the VUPort runtime.  Virtually ALL the
Wang behaviors, including screen handling, are identical to the VS.

However, since the original post mentioned the source would be going
back to the VS, this type of port is not for him--VUPort is a tool for
migrating from the VS to another (UNIX) platform.

--

                              | smail:  2600 St. Clair Ave. NE
Information Systems Manager   |         Cleveland, OH  44114  USA
LaRich Distributors, Inc.     | web:    http://www.larich.com

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Wang COBOL on MicroFocus Workbench
Way back in 1988 I wrote a pharmacy system for a local
health department on a VS.  Had drug interaction and
allergy checking, and all the bells and whistles.

Then the county DP department got wind of how successful
the project was and wanted a piece of the action.  They
decided that the entire health department would move to
AS 400's.  The AS 400 geeks rolled in and said "Hey,
we have a nifty utility that will convert the Wang source code
to 400 Cobol."

Nice work if you can get it, sez I.

Well, the got the source code, and ran it through their
nifty little utility, and after six months of gnashing their
teeth and renting their cloth the pharmacy system was
still up and running happily along on the VS.

Like David said, there's enough unique (and highly
desireable) about the Wang VS to make it somewhat
less than fun to even try to pre-compile with another
system.  Been there, done that with a zenix system
being moved to Micro Focus.  LOTS of code
modification, despite the substantial efforts of the good
folks at MF.

Nuf' said.

James Jones.

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. MicroFocus Cobol Workbench v3.2x

2. MicroFocus Cobol Workbench

3. MicroFocus Cobol Workbench 4.0?

4. MICROFOCUS COBOL WORKBENCH VERSION 3.1 TO 4.0

5. OS/2 DosDEvIOCtl call in Microfocus COBOL Workbench (3.2.27)

6. Wang Pace / Wang Cobol migration

7. Help with Microfocus personal cobol and Microfocus Level II cobol

8. CA-Realia II Workbench vs. COBOL Workbench

9. US-CA-LA PROGRAMMER NEEDED WANG COBOL or IBM COBOL AND DOS/VSE

10. Converting WANG COBOL to MF COBOL question

11. PL/I -- The Microfocus MVS Workbench

12. MicroFocus Workbench/CICS option