Printing Barcodes using COBOL
Author Message
 Printing Barcodes using COBOL

Hi

I have a problem that I hope someone could help me with.  I am writing
a Point of Sale program and would like to incorporate barcode printing
into the system.  The only problem is that I don't have a clue how to
print barcodes.  The system are being used in DOS and UNIX.  A windows
version are on the planning table, but that is still some time off.  I
am using Micro Focus COBOL 3.4.  Is there someone who could help me
with this?  Please email me if possible.

Thanks

Jaco Kriel

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00 GMT
 Printing Barcodes using COBOL

Quote:

> Hi

> I have a problem that I hope someone could help me with.  I am writing
> a Point of Sale program and would like to incorporate barcode printing
> into the system.  The only problem is that I don't have a clue how to
> print barcodes.  The system are being used in DOS and UNIX.  A windows
> version are on the planning table, but that is still some time off.  I
> am using Micro Focus COBOL 3.4.  Is there someone who could help me
> with this?  Please email me if possible.

> Thanks

> Jaco Kriel

It's a complex question that's fairly easy to answer once I understand
exactly WHERE and on WHAT type of device you're trying to print a
bar-code on.  Are you using something like a Zebra printer attached to
the parallel port?  Or, are you trying to print a bar-code on a piece of
plain paper?  If you're doing the former, all you have to do is
construct the ZPL-II (or another vendor's control language) to create
the control characters required to print the label and 'print' it (write
it to the printer), substituting the required variables in the string.
If you're using paper, you'll probably need to CALL a DLL to construct
the bar-code and then send it along with the document.  Your printer
manufacturer should have some software and/or instructions for doing
this.

Thu, 21 Sep 2000 04:00:00 GMT
 Printing Barcodes using COBOL

Quote:

> Hi

> I have a problem that I hope someone could help me with.  I am writing
> a Point of Sale program and would like to incorporate barcode printing
> into the system.  The only problem is that I don't have a clue how to
> print barcodes.  The system are being used in DOS and UNIX.  A windows
> version are on the planning table, but that is still some time off.  I
> am using Micro Focus COBOL 3.4.  Is there someone who could help me
> with this?  Please email me if possible.

> Thanks

Well Jaco,

When I did it, we had a list of printers we supported and we sent the
codes to actually do the graphics.  HP has a font cartridge you can buy
that has the standard ones in it.  OTC makes a printer that does them
without special graphics programming, and Printronix makes the magnum
board that allows you to do it with just some control characters.

I would first explore those printers that say they can print barcodes
and then figure out the codes necessary to do it.

Failing that, you have to get into graphics programming.

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Barcodes using COBOL

I developed a COBOL subroutine that converts your data to bar codes for a
variety of HP printers (Laser, line,etc) in any of 5 bar-code protocols.

Be happy to send you the source if you're interested.

Roger

Quote:

>> Hi

>> I have a problem that I hope someone could help me with.  I am writing
>> a Point of Sale program and would like to incorporate barcode printing
>> into the system.  The only problem is that I don't have a clue how to
>> print barcodes.  The system are being used in DOS and UNIX.  A windows
>> version are on the planning table, but that is still some time off.  I
>> am using Micro Focus COBOL 3.4.  Is there someone who could help me
>> with this?  Please email me if possible.

>> Thanks

>Well Jaco,

>When I did it, we had a list of printers we supported and we sent the
>codes to actually do the graphics.  HP has a font cartridge you can buy
>that has the standard ones in it.  OTC makes a printer that does them
>without special graphics programming, and Printronix makes the magnum
>board that allows you to do it with just some control characters.

>I would first explore those printers that say they can print barcodes
>and then figure out the codes necessary to do it.

>Failing that, you have to get into graphics programming.

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Barcodes using COBOL

Quote:
> I developed a COBOL subroutine that converts your data to bar codes for a
> variety of HP printers (Laser, line,etc) in any of 5 bar-code protocols.

> Be happy to send you the source if you're interested.

> Roger

I don't know about Jaco, but I'm certainly interested.
Especially in 39.
--
Ross

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/7185/

Quote:

> >> Hi

> >> I have a problem that I hope someone could help me with.  I am writing
> >> a Point of Sale program and would like to incorporate barcode printing
> >> into the system.  The only problem is that I don't have a clue how to
> >> print barcodes.  The system are being used in DOS and UNIX.  A windows
> >> version are on the planning table, but that is still some time off.  I
> >> am using Micro Focus COBOL 3.4.  Is there someone who could help me
> >> with this?  Please email me if possible.

> >> Thanks

> >Well Jaco,

> >When I did it, we had a list of printers we supported and we sent the
> >codes to actually do the graphics.  HP has a font cartridge you can buy
> >that has the standard ones in it.  OTC makes a printer that does them
> >without special graphics programming, and Printronix makes the magnum
> >board that allows you to do it with just some control characters.

> >I would first explore those printers that say they can print barcodes
> >and then figure out the codes necessary to do it.

> >Failing that, you have to get into graphics programming.

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing Barcodes using COBOL

Quote:
>Hi

>I have a problem that I hope someone could help me with.  I am writing
>a Point of Sale program and would like to incorporate barcode printing
>into the system.  The only problem is that I don't have a clue how to
>print barcodes.  The system are being used in DOS and UNIX.  A windows
>version are on the planning table, but that is still some time off.  I
>am using Micro Focus COBOL 3.4.  Is there someone who could help me
>with this?  Please email me if possible.

Most of barcode printing is controlled by the printer software.  Once
you decide of a barcode subset, look into which printers support it.
Once you have chosen a printer, you should be able to get
documentation from the company on how to use the barcode printing
features...

Dave

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Printing Barcodes on HP printer using Escape 4.0 Library and Clipper

2. Printing BarCodes from an entry form Help!!

3. Printing of barcodes in 2.1

4. Looking for Barcodes printing

5. Printing Barcodes

6. Escape codes for printing barcodes

7. Printing Postal Barcodes.

8. Looking for a lib to print barcodes in '87

9. Printing Barcodes on Deskjet or ESCP/2 printers

10. printing barcodes in Windows

11. Printing Barcodes

12. Re. Printing Barcodes