Book suggestions (IBM mainframe migrations)
Author Message
 Book suggestions (IBM mainframe migrations)

It is my hope/intention to add a section on IBM mainframe COBOL migrations
(from OS/VS COBOL or DOS/VS COBOL to VS COBOL II, COBOL/370, or COBOL for
this-and-that) into the FAQ in the next month or so.  I will certainly be
referring to the IBM migration guides as the first place to start.  However,
I will also (probably) refer to the book that I wrote.  In order NOT to be
using the FAQ for marketing, I would like to also reference some of the
other books on this topic - and I know there are a bunch. Does anyone have
any recommendations on which books (besides the IBM manuals) they found most
useful - that I can add to the FAQ?

Thanks in advance for any input that you can give me.

--
+ +
+   Bill Klein -

Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Book suggestions (IBM mainframe migrations)

While it doesn't specifically address migration issues between
different versions of COBOL, I have been using a book simply called
"COBOL II" by Harvery Bookman (J. Ranade, publisher) because it does
have several chapters that explain the differences between VS/COBOL
and COBOL II.

It also covers in detail the major language features introduced with
COBOL II as well as new (at the time) COBOL II compiler options.

--
Michael A. Newell
The SAS Institute Inc.

Quote:

> It is my hope/intention to add a section on IBM mainframe COBOL migrations
> (from OS/VS COBOL or DOS/VS COBOL to VS COBOL II, COBOL/370, or COBOL for
> this-and-that) into the FAQ in the next month or so.  I will certainly be
> referring to the IBM migration guides as the first place to start.  However,
> I will also (probably) refer to the book that I wrote.  In order NOT to be
> using the FAQ for marketing, I would like to also reference some of the
> other books on this topic - and I know there are a bunch. Does anyone have
> any recommendations on which books (besides the IBM manuals) they found most
> useful - that I can add to the FAQ?

> Thanks in advance for any input that you can give me.

> --
> + +
> +   Bill Klein -
>          "C" is a nice letter to START the name of your programming language
> with
>       but I wouldn't want to end up there.

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ISE/IBM Announcement for ISE Eiffel on IBM Mainframe

2. IBM Mainframe to IBM Unix Cobol conversion?

3. Mainframe HLL Migration

4. Mainframe HLL Migration

5. Mainframe HLL Migration

6. migration from mainframe to client server

7. Mainframe/Client Server Migration

8. Mainframe COBOL/CICS migration to MicroFocus PANELS2

9. Mainframe/Client Server Migration (was Prof Assoc.)

10. Suggestions for VX-REXX OS/2 Migration to NT

11. Radical Suggestion for Integer Division Migration

12. Microfocus Cobol Migration to IBM Cobol for AIX