Career Advice
Author Message
 Career Advice

Hi,

I am trying to change to a career in programming after 20+ years in
accounting, auditing, and income tax preparation. (I never liked the
fool stuff.)

I am working with a state agency, and their testing shows a high ability
and aptitude for the subject.  I presume it's because I like to "solve
puzzles" and find solutions to flow chart type problems.

They are attempting to get me a scolarship into a one year program that
teaches what is probably the basics of TSO, CICS, ACCESS, COBOL, JCL,
and Visual Basic.

Can anyone tell me what to focus on that will be the most mentally
challenging at the entry level a year from now, and what type of salary
expectations I should have?  Also, if I learn C and Perl/CGI on my own,
would that add to or distract from the core?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

--
Gnarly

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Career Advice
you are LUCKY

Carlos A. Santos

Life is wonderful only if you know what it means! : )

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Career Advice

Quote:

> They are attempting to get me a scolarship into a one year program that
> teaches what is probably the basics of TSO, CICS, ACCESS, COBOL, JCL,
> and VISUAL BASIC.

> Can anyone tell me what to focus on that will be the most mentally
> challenging at the entry level a year from now, and what type of salary
> expectations I should have?  Also, if I learn C and Perl/CGI on my own,
> would that add to or distract from the core?

Salary is unpredictable, but you should figure for entry level on
25-35K.

Most challenging?  Of those things listed, CICS.

As far as learning C and Perl on your own - GO FOR IT.  More languages
add breadth to your experience and will help you think differently,
adapting to each situation as required.  This can be nothing but a
good thing.

-------------------------
Trust the computer industry to shorten "Year 2000" to Y2K.  It was
this
kind of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Try a better search engine: http://www.google.com

Visit my updated website at
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/2006/

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Career Advice

Quote:

> They are attempting to get me a scolarship into a one year program that
> teaches what is probably the basics of TSO, CICS, ACCESS, COBOL, JCL,
> and VISUAL BASIC.

They might advertise VB but it would a surprising mix. Programers
tend to stream into PC's or into mainframe not into both.

Quote:
> Also, if I learn C and Perl/CGI on my own,
> would that add to or distract from the core?

In your very first year if you pull to many things in you will
just end up confused.  Concentrate on one thing and do it well.

Second year definitely go for it.  Your first language is hard,
your second is still fairly hard, your third is easier, your
fourth fifth, sixth are all easy.

Regarding salary, take what you can and negotiate after one year.
You have to be pretty lucky to get these sort of things.

Ken

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Career advice for the 21st century: Stay away from any job that can be done online

2. Career advice for the 21st century: Stay away from any job that can be done online

3. (OT) Career Advice - What Next ?

4. Career advice required

5. In need of career advice

6. Career advice required

7. A bit of career advice, please.

8. O/T: Career advice

9. Advice: Starting on an IT career with ST as 1st language

10. COBOL Career Education Advice Please

11. Dynamic Career Opportunities for OO technologists

12. Smalltalk Career Oppty's throughout US!!