132 column display
Author Message
 132 column display

Does anyone out there know how to change a pc monitor's display from 80
column mode to 132 column mode.  I am sending COBOL reports to the screen
and have some that require 132 columns.  I am interested in changing the
mode right before the report is output and then returning to the 80
column mode after the report is complete.

Any suggestions or information leading to the solution means you are a
swell person.

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

Quote:

> Possibly of no great use to you (but someone might be thinking of doing the
> same thing, so I'll say it anyway) is the facility on Unix versions of Micro
> Focus COBOL of doing this using the "cobterminfo" call.

Duh! I meant the "cobtermmode" call. There is no "cobterminfo" call.

Apologies,
Kev.

--

These views are strictly my own. I doubt that anyone else would want them.
STUFF FOR SALE: <A HREF="http://www.mfltd.co.uk/~ked">Here!</A>

Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

Quote:

> Does anyone out there know how to change a pc monitor's display from 80
> column mode to 132 column mode.  I am sending COBOL reports to the screen
> and have some that require 132 columns.  I am interested in changing the
> mode right before the report is output and then returning to the 80
> column mode after the report is complete.

> Any suggestions or information leading to the solution means you are a
> swell person.

Possibly of no great use to you (but someone might be thinking of doing the
same thing, so I'll say it anyway) is the facility on Unix versions of Micro
Focus COBOL of doing this using the "cobterminfo" call. It`s supposed to be
called from C, but of course, as Micro Focus COBOL allows you to call any C
function easily, that`s not a problem.
You need a terminfo entry for your terminal type with a "-w" suffix, I believe,
in order for this to work.

Cheers,
Kev.
--

These views are strictly my own. I doubt that anyone else would want them.
STUFF FOR SALE: <A HREF="http://www.mfltd.co.uk/~ked">Here!</A>

Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

Quote:

> Does anyone out there know how to change a pc monitor's display from 80
> column mode to 132 column mode.  I am sending COBOL reports to the screen
> and have some that require 132 columns.  I am interested in changing the
> mode right before the report is output and then returning to the 80
> column mode after the report is complete.

> Any suggestions or information leading to the solution means you are a
> swell person.

I believe you can get a 132 column display using an XGA display.
--
Regards,
Richard

Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

Quote:

>Does anyone out there know how to change a pc monitor's display from 80
>column mode to 132 column mode.  I am sending COBOL reports to the screen
>and have some that require 132 columns.  I am interested in changing the
>mode right before the report is output and then returning to the 80
>column mode after the report is complete.
>Any suggestions or information leading to the solution means you are a
>swell person.

ISPF panel 0.4 (ISPF Parms/Terminal Characteristics) has a parameter
called Screen Format which has three possible settings if you are
using a 3278 model 5 type terminal.

DATA: Format based on data width
STD: 24 lines 80 columns
MAX: 27 lines 132 columns

I always set mine to DATA which allowed the automatic switch back and
forth that you are requesting.
However this was an intelligent terminal years ago, not a newer PC
based interface.

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

Quote:

>Does anyone out there know how to change a pc monitor's display from 80
>column mode to 132 column mode.  I am sending COBOL reports to the screen
>and have some that require 132 columns.  I am interested in changing the
>mode right before the report is output and then returning to the 80
>column mode after the report is complete.

>Any suggestions or information leading to the solution means you are a
>swell person.

This is just a suggestion, I do not know if it is possible.

There probably is a escape sequence to change 80 to 132 column mode for
a PC monitor if you loaded ANSI.SYS at start-up.

I am not sure of that, I do not have the table for ANSI codes and I do
not know how to do that from COBOL. Anyway, I hope it can be an useful
lead.

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

if you are talking about a dos terminal, you are out of luck.  25 lines
by 80 characters.

if you are talking about a dos session in windows, you are out of luck.
80 characters max.

if you are talking about windows, it is different completely.

Mon, 01 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

Quote:

>>Does anyone out there know how to change a pc monitor's display from 80
>>column mode to 132 column mode.  I am sending COBOL reports to the screen
>>and have some that require 132 columns.  I am interested in changing the
>>mode right before the report is output and then returning to the 80
>>column mode after the report is complete.
>>Any suggestions or information leading to the solution means you are a
>>swell person.

With a PC, the ability to switch to 132 column display normaly rests
with your dispaly adaptor. The software utilities supplied with the
card normally include a way to set the display to 132 column mode.

Wed, 03 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

Quote:

>>Does anyone out there know how to change a pc monitor's display from 80
>>column mode to 132 column mode.  I am sending COBOL reports to the screen
>>and have some that require 132 columns.  I am interested in changing the
>>mode right before the report is output and then returning to the 80
>>column mode after the report is complete.
>>Any suggestions or information leading to the solution means you are a
>>swell person.

With a PC, the ability to switch to 132 column display normaly rests
with your dispaly adaptor. The software utilities supplied with the
card normally include a way to set the display to 132 column mode.

Wed, 03 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 132 column display

Quote:
>if you are talking about a dos terminal, you are out of luck.  25 lines
>by 80 characters.

Not necessarily. Some emulators read the current "mode" settings
and adjust accordingly. The mode can be set (depending on the VGA
adapter) via the DOS MODE command. Most VGA cards come with utilities
for setting the various supported VGA modes.
There is a free utility that comes with the VPIC shareware package
called WHICHVGA. It will tell you what VGA chipset you have (or
freeze your system). Then get the utility from the appropriate
manufacturer.
But first try: MODE CO132 or MODE CO132,43 or some other combination.
If the DOS screen gets messed up, restore it to 80 collumns via MODE CO80

The OS/2  MODE command seems to work well for the few systems I've seen.

Regards,
Gary
Advanced Debugging System for CICS
CICS Tips & Tricks at: http://www.castle.net/~gbergman

Sat, 06 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. MF COBOL 132 COLUMN DISPLAY ISSUE

2. display with 132 columns

3. 132 columns under NT with Clipper

4. 132 columns with clipper 5

5. 132 columns on windows 2000 machine

6. Windows 2000, 132-columns under Clipper 5.2

7. ScreenMode 132 x 40 (columns x rows)

8. Clipper 5.3b with 132 columns on screen

9. Routine to show text on 132 column instead of 80

10. 132 columns

11. WIN98 console in 132 columns

12. VAST & 132 column source