Two mouse drivers co-existing ?
Author Message
 Two mouse drivers co-existing ?

Dear Friends,

Is it possible for two mouse drivers (one for Microsoft mouse
and other for Numonics Graphic Digitizer) to active simultan
eously in a DOS program ? If yes, how do I switch over
from one mouse to other ? Pl. advice.

I am using Turbo C 3.0 for programming where for certain
diagrams entry, I need to use the digitizer for better accuracy.

--

Posted using Reference.COM                         http://www.*-*-*.com/

InReference, Inc. accepts no responsibility for the content of this posting.

Tue, 04 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two mouse drivers co-existing ?

Quote:
> Is it possible for two mouse drivers (one for Microsoft mouse
> and other for Numonics Graphic Digitizer) to active simultan
> eously in a DOS program ? If yes, how do I switch over
> from one mouse to other ? Pl. advice.

I think it's possible by swaping INT 33h vector.

There are how i see it:
1. Install special TSR (Writed by you with known API to it).
        Commands to TSR:
        - Save current vector 33h under number N.
        - Set vector number N.
        - Set original vector (stored at startup, it can be #0).
2. Install mose driver MOUSE1.
3. Send command to TSR:
        3.1. Save(1)
        3.2. SetOriginal()
4. Install mouse driver MOUSE2.
5. Send command to TSR:
        5.1. Save(2)
        5.2. SetOriginal()
6. Now you can run your application programm. And MOUSE2 will active.

In application: suggested function

void SelectMouse(int N)
{
  mouse_disable(); /* INT 33 mouse API */
  TSR_set(N); /* our TSR API */
  mouse_enable(); /* INT 33 mouse API */

Quote:
}

Side effects:
- INT 33 API commands (cursor shape, active area, etc.) will affect only
currently selected mouse driver.
- If your mouse library install event handlers (very likely) then you
must exit from programm very carefuly.

Atall, your mouse library _must_ be rewriten so critical mouse commands
will be send to all mouse drivers.

P.

P.S. Please, when you use crossposting don't forget add in which newsgroup
reply to.

Tue, 04 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two mouse drivers co-existing ?

Quote:

> Dear Friends,

> Is it possible for two mouse drivers (one for Microsoft mouse

> and other for Numonics Graphic Digitizer) to active simultan

> eously in a DOS program ? If yes, how do I switch over

> from one mouse to other ? Pl. advice.

> I am using Turbo C 3.0 for programming where for certain

> diagrams entry, I need to use the digitizer for better accuracy.

As long as the devices are using different communications ports,
different IRQ's, and different addresses, you should not have a problem.

Actually, since this is a question relating specifically to MS-DOS, you
would do better asking your question in a DOS related NewsGroup, try:

comp.os.msdos.programmer           DOS O/S Related Issues

The real art of conversation is not only to
say the right thing in the right place, but
to leave unsaid the wrong thing in a tempting moment.
                                Dorothy Nevil

Wed, 05 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two mouse drivers co-existing ?

Quote:
>As long as the devices are using different communications ports,
>different IRQ's, and different addresses, you should not have a problem.

>Actually, since this is a question relating specifically to MS-DOS, you
>would do better asking your question in a DOS related NewsGroup, try:

>comp.os.msdos.programmer           DOS O/S Related Issues

Yeah, but doesn't a mouse driver implement the INT 33 services for a
particular mouse? Loading two mouse drivers would create confusion, as
they'd both have control over the interrupt.

I'm not an ASM guru, but I'm sure it's not possible.
It might be OK in Windoze, but as far as DOS is concerned you're gonna
have a problem.

--
Revised anti-spam in use : remove X to reply -
'Xnetbook' becomes 'netbook'

Anti-spam thermonuclear warheads cheap at only $>>500<<!

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two mouse drivers co-existing ?

Quote:

> Dear Friends,

> Is it possible for two mouse drivers (one for Microsoft mouse

> and other for Numonics Graphic Digitizer) to active simultan

> eously in a DOS program ? If yes, how do I switch over

> from one mouse to other ? Pl. advice.

> I am using Turbo C 3.0 for programming where for certain

> diagrams entry, I need to use the digitizer for better accuracy.

> --

> Posted using Reference.COM                         http://www.reference.com

> InReference, Inc. accepts no responsibility for the content of this posting.

If memory serves, you should be able to use the digitizer as mouse
input.

It's been a few years but one client had a digitizer the size of a
drafting table, and they used the "puck" for mouse input.

mykey

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Two mouse drivers co-existing ?

It has been my experience that this works only if the mice are both of
the same sex.  Imagine what will happen if you wind up with one of each
sex!  It's not a pretty sight!

Jim.

Quote:

> > Dear Friends,

> > Is it possible for two mouse drivers (one for Microsoft mouse

> > and other for Numonics Graphic Digitizer) to active simultan

> > eously in a DOS program ? If yes, how do I switch over

> > from one mouse to other ? Pl. advice.

> > I am using Turbo C 3.0 for programming where for certain

> > diagrams entry, I need to use the digitizer for better accuracy.

> > --

> > Posted using Reference.COM                         http://www.reference.com

> > InReference, Inc. accepts no responsibility for the content of this posting.

> If memory serves, you should be able to use the digitizer as mouse
> input.

> It's been a few years but one client had a digitizer the size of a
> drafting table, and they used the "puck" for mouse input.

> mykey

Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. johng@rogge.co.uk;malio@rogge.co.uk;richardg@rogge.co.uk

2. co-exist w/ Visual STudio 6?

3. Co-existing Multiple Application within single C implementation

4. Co-existing Multiple Application within single C implementation

5. Co author needed to help improve an existing program

6. Can VC++4.2b co-exist with VC++5.0 or VC++6.0

7. Dialog box co-exist with a SDI application??

8. Can 4.1 and 5.0 co-exist?

9. Getting Mouse Co-ordinates

10. Converting mouse co-ordinates

11. Obtaining mouse co-ordinates..