Detecting newly arriving files in dir?
Author Message
 Detecting newly arriving files in dir?

I am trying to write a program in C language (within Unix environment),
which detects any newly arrived files within current directory.  Can
anyone tell me how to go about it.  I would really appreciate any help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Detecting newly arriving files in dir?

Quote:

> I am trying to write a program in C language (within Unix environment),
> which detects any newly arrived files within current directory.  Can
> anyone tell me how to go about it.  I would really appreciate any help.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hello swhaider,

sorry, but the C-language (which is the topic we want to discuss
here) does not know about a concept of directories. You should
ask your question in an other ng. I'ld suggest comp.unix.programmer
since you said that you want it in a unix environment.
Some kind person over there will most likly know an answer to
your problem.

LISP is worth learning for the profound enlightenment experience you
will have when you finally get it; that experience will make you a
better programmer for the rest of your days.         Eric S. Raymond

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Detecting newly arriving files in dir?

Quote:

> I am trying to write a program in C language (within Unix environment),
> which detects any newly arrived files within current directory.  Can
> anyone tell me how to go about it.  I would really appreciate any help.

This is compiler-dependent, and therefore off-topic here. You might find
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q19.20.html> helpful, though.

Richard

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Detecting newly arriving files in dir?
: I am trying to write a program in C language (within Unix environment),
: which detects any newly arrived files within current directory.  Can
: anyone tell me how to go about it.  I would really appreciate any help.

Try posting this in comp.unix.programmer.  This newsgroup, comp.lang.c,
is for discussing ANSI/ISO C programming issues.  Because ISO C has no
support for probing directories, topics like these are not discussed here.
Ultimately, the solution to your problem will come from using platform
specific extensions.  You get a better idea of the options available
to you on your platform if you post your question to a newsgroup where
people who use that platform are sure to read it.  In this case, your
problem seems to be solidly in the Unix programming camp, that is why
I suggested comp.unix.programmer as your best bet.

Good Luck,

Paul

--
Paul D. Boyle

North Carolina State University
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. copy file from one dir to another dir

2. Names for newly created permanent files?

3. get file from dir in ANSI C

4. Files list (~ dir/s)

5. FIle and Dir listbox ..

6. list files in directories (dir in C?)

7. monitoring for new files written to a dir

8. file/dir access

9. Displaying files in dir.

10. App Config File - How to get it to output to the bin dir on compile

11. Randomly copying files from one dir to another

12. How to make a dir and copy files in VC++