PLEASE HELP!! Need C Program to search for executables in UNIXv5
Author Message
 PLEASE HELP!! Need C Program to search for executables in UNIXv5

Does anyone know if it's possible to search for executables using C?  A
previous user (not willing to help) has hardcoded path names for
executables into some of his scripts and we need to find them.  These
programs are embedded all over the place and it's just one big mess!  We
are trying to clean all of this up as soon as possible.  I would
appreciate any help given.

Thank you in advance,
Shellye Clark

--
Shellye T. Clark

U S WEST Communications, Inc.
Network & Technology Services
Denver,CO
-->The above expressed opinions are not those of  U S WEST Inc., or any of its subsidiaries. <--

Tue, 20 May 1997 00:57:59 GMT
 PLEASE HELP!! Need C Program to search for executables in UNIXv5
[staurt from peters account]

: Does anyone know if it's possible to search for executables using C?  A
: previous user (not willing to help) has hardcoded path names for
: executables into some of his scripts and we need to find them.  These
: programs are embedded all over the place and it's just one big mess!  We
: are trying to clean all of this up as soon as possible.  I would
: appreciate any help given.

Take a deep breath and _slowly_ explain the problem.

1) You are looking for executables. Are you looking for the
physical files on a disk (or tape or whatever), or references
to them in the program ?

2) What kind of system are you on ? On a UNIX machine, the simplest
way to find executables is a csh script something like:

#!/bin/csh
# find_exe - a script to find executables

foreach th ( * )

if ( -x $th ) then
  if ( -d $th ) then
    push $th
    find_exe
    popd
  else
    echo $th
  endif
endif

Warning, that's just off the top of my head, so it might need tweeking.

3) If it's the references you're after, greping/searching for them
should be sufficient ?

--
(no email please)
always black

Thu, 22 May 1997 11:46:37 GMT

1. SoftEng or CS Graduate Program Search

2. Need help on this programming problem ( PLEASE HELP!!!)

3. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

4. NEED HELP WITH PRITING AN ARRAY, PLEASE PLEASE HELP

5. help: Guru needed please please please

6. Please help!!!!Please help!!!!Please help!!!!Please help!!!!Please help!!!!Please help!!!!Please help!!!!

7. I need some help with this program, please!!!!!!!!!!

8. I need some help with this program, please!!!!

9. executable -> source code programs needed

10. Need Help Converting Small Borland Program Please!

11. Needed: HTML Search program

12. Need HELP with a creating a self-extracting executable file