making computer go "beep"
Author Message
 making computer go "beep"

I know this might sound stupid, but does anyone know how I can make that
"beep" sound? Not a wave file, but the default beep the hardware itself
makes. Much appreciated if you could let me know.

-- Simon

Wed, 27 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 making computer go "beep"
: I know this might sound stupid, but does anyone know how I can make that
: "beep" sound? Not a wave file, but the default beep the hardware itself
: makes. Much appreciated if you could let me know.

Try writing '\007' to stdout.

Will

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 making computer go "beep"
I not sure if this will work in all cases, but under DOS

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
fprintf(stdout,"%c",7);
return 0;

Quote:
}

Quote:
> I know this might sound stupid, but does anyone know how I can make that
> "beep" sound? Not a wave file, but the default beep the hardware itself
> makes. Much appreciated if you could let me know.

> -- Simon

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 making computer go "beep"

 > : I know this might sound stupid, but does anyone know how I can make that
 > : "beep" sound? Not a wave file, but the default beep the hardware itself
 > : makes. Much appreciated if you could let me know.
 >
 > Try writing '\007' to stdout.

Why not '\a'?  That is the most likely candidate, independent on character
sets, and it might even do something if the wire to the speaker is
disconnected.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, kruislaan 413, 1098 sj  amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn  amsterdam, nederland; http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 making computer go "beep"

:  > : I know this might sound stupid, but does anyone know how I can make that
:  > : "beep" sound? Not a wave file, but the default beep the hardware itself
:  > : makes. Much appreciated if you could let me know.
:  >
:  > Try writing '\007' to stdout.

: Why not '\a'?  That is the most likely candidate, independent on character
: sets, and it might even do something if the wire to the speaker is
: disconnected.

True.  I'd forgotten that '\a' would be character-set independant.
I must start using it instead of ^G.

Will

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Neophyte going nuts "making INN"

2. catching "beep"

3. "beep" sound

4. I am going to study "C"

5. Change associated with "Go" button application

6. Meaning/usefulness of "Go To Reference"

7. New class: "MFC class" gone

8. Help: Spin controls going "Backward"

9. Knuth - "The Art of Computer Programming"

10. Accessing "My Computer"

11. FindFirstChangeNotification with "My Computer"

12. Help(making a process "sleep")