Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler
Author Message
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

In case you have not already seen one of the many unofficial
announcements, the Compaq C compiler for Linux Alpha systems
is now available (along with fortran) for public Beta test.

Please see

  http://www.*-*-*.com/

for details and immediate download of the software, subject
to accepting an online beta test license agreement.

Briefly, the compiler provides the same state-of-the-art optimization
technology for the Alpha processor as offered by the very latest
Compaq compilers on Compaq's proprietary Alpha platforms, and offers
some amount of gcc compatibility in both language features and command
line processing.

The software is only available in rpm format, and has primarily been
tested under the Red Hat 5.2 distribution.  Limited testing under Red
Hat 6.0, and no testing yet under other distributions.  The limited
testing only reflects what we've done so far, and not at all an
intended limitation.

 -The Compaq C/C++ Team

--
Please do not reply to this message, as your reply will be lost.

For technical support and bug reports, please see:
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

For comments and inquiries about the beta test, please see:
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:

> In case you have not already seen one of the many unofficial
> announcements, the Compaq C compiler for Linux Alpha systems
> is now available (along with Fortran) for public Beta test.

> Please see

>   http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/software.htm

> for details and immediate download of the software, subject
> to accepting an online beta test license agreement.

> Briefly, the compiler provides the same state-of-the-art optimization
> technology for the Alpha processor as offered by the very latest
> Compaq compilers on Compaq's proprietary Alpha platforms, and offers
> some amount of gcc compatibility in both language features and command
> line processing.

> The software is only available in rpm format, and has primarily been
> tested under the Red Hat 5.2 distribution.  Limited testing under Red
> Hat 6.0, and no testing yet under other distributions.  The limited
> testing only reflects what we've done so far, and not at all an
> intended limitation.

>  -The Compaq C/C++ Team

> --
> Please do not reply to this message, as your reply will be lost.

> For technical support and bug reports, please see:
>  http://www.iol.unh.edu/linux/C/

> For comments and inquiries about the beta test, please see:
>  http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/compaq_c/feedback.htm

Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and now
spam?
Geez.

--
_________________________________
Jordan Katz

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:

> Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and
> now spam?

Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta
test. It will probably be free after beta. It produces much faster
code for Alpha than gcc. For people doing numerical work in Alpha
Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

--

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:

> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

And your question about C is???

--
Regards,

Jeremy Jancsary

/***************************Quote of the Day************************
*                                                                  *
*  Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build        *
*  bridges even where there are no rivers.                         *
*                                                                  *
*                                            -- Nikita Khrushchev  *
*                                                                  *
*******************************************************************/

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler
: For people doing numerical work in Alpha
: Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
: important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

That's right.

--
Kai Dupke            | Badenstedter Str. 121 | 30453 Hannover/Germany
Tel +49 511 49 97 70 | Fax +49 511 49 97 71  | Holt fast - kolt isen.

Am 1.11.89 war KEIN Internetstreik.

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler
Thanks for the good info!

-- Wetboy
Initiator of the campaign to counteract the curmudgeons in C.L.C

[...]

: --

:  http://www.iol.unh.edu/linux/C/

: For comments and inquiries about the beta test, please see:
:  http://www.unix.digital.com/linux/compaq_c/feedback.htm

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:
> > ... and now spam?

> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta test. >>

It is spam. The only ignorance on display is yours -- of basic netiquette
issues. And it appears you will remain ignorant during your beta test
period, hopefully brief.

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Quote:

> > Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and
> > now spam?

> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta
> test. It will probably be free after beta. It produces much faster
> code for Alpha than gcc. For people doing numerical work in Alpha
> Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
> important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

> --

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler
Gee this is the  Linux.alpha newsgroup, right???????

Compaq, now owns Alpha???? (Bought DEC)

They have a free compiler for Alpha Linux, they post to the newsgroup its
available for free download

How does that count as Spam,   I though Spam was blasting stuff to unrelated
conferences????

JJ

Quote:

>> > ... and now spam?

>> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

>> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta test. >>

>It is spam. The only ignorance on display is yours -- of basic netiquette
>issues. And it appears you will remain ignorant during your beta test
>period, hopefully brief.

>--

>Paul Lutus
>www.arachnoid.com

>> > Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and
>> > now spam?

>> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

>> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta
>> test. It will probably be free after beta. It produces much faster
>> code for Alpha than gcc. For people doing numerical work in Alpha
>> Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
>> important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

>> --

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:

> [Compaq announcement snipped]
> Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and now
> spam?
> Geez.

Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
new, *free* C compiler.

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:
> They have a free compiler for Alpha Linux, they post to the newsgroup its
> available for free download

It's not free. They hope to get you to test their product in beta form, then
they may thank you by making you pay for the release version.

Quote:

> How does that count as Spam,   I though Spam was blasting stuff to
unrelated
> conferences????

Look at the cross-post in the header of this message (a NG that excludes
compiler-specific posts). Spam is also defined as unsolicited commercial
advertising.

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Quote:
> Gee this is the  Linux.alpha newsgroup, right???????

> Compaq, now owns Alpha???? (Bought DEC)

> They have a free compiler for Alpha Linux, they post to the newsgroup its
> available for free download

> How does that count as Spam,   I though Spam was blasting stuff to
unrelated
> conferences????

> JJ

> >> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

> >> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta test. >>

> >It is spam. The only ignorance on display is yours -- of basic netiquette
> >issues. And it appears you will remain ignorant during your beta test
> >period, hopefully brief.

> >--

> >Paul Lutus
> >www.arachnoid.com

> >> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

> >> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta
> >> test. It will probably be free after beta. It produces much faster
> >> code for Alpha than gcc. For people doing numerical work in Alpha
> >> Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
> >> important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

> >> --

http://www.iki.fi/~janne/

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:
> Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
> comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
> new, *free* C compiler.

1. It is *not free*. It is a beta test version of a commercial product.
2. comp.lang.c is a forum for discussions of ANSI/ISO C, not
compiler-specific issues.

--

Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Quote:

> > [Compaq announcement snipped]
> > Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and now
> > spam?
> > Geez.

> Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
> comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
> new, *free* C compiler.

> --

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:

> > Compaq sucks. Crappy machines, crappy software, crappy service, and
> > now spam?

> Please keep your ignorance to yourself.

> The compiler is free for everybody to download during the beta
> test. It will probably be free after beta. It produces much faster
> code for Alpha than gcc. For people doing numerical work in Alpha
> Linux, Compaq's Fortran and C compilers are probably the most
> important announcement after Alpha Linux itself.

> --

That does *NOT* justify spamming. This not the appropriote newsgroup for
advertising.

--
_________________________________
Jordan Katz

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:

> [...]
> compiler-specific posts). Spam is also defined as unsolicited commercial
> advertising.

Hmm.  I wonder, does that include advertising for TCS2000 and DSL
conferences (to name two recently posted)?  I don't think they let
people in for free, and yet nobody flames them.  Just wondering...

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler

Quote:

> > Your personal commentary regarding Compaq aside, this was not spam.
> > comp.lang.c seems like a logical place make an announcement about a
> > new, *free* C compiler.

> 1. It is *not free*. It is a beta test version of a commercial product.
> 2. comp.lang.c is a forum for discussions of ANSI/ISO C, not
> compiler-specific issues.

And yet, Paul, this *is* the one place on Usenet where C afficianados
commonly frequent.  Even if it were crassly, exploitatively commercial
announcement (which it wasn't), why -- oh, _why_, Paul! -- **must** it
absolutely be spam and bad, *bad*, BAD... when a not insignificant
number of people who hang around here apparently appreciated it?!

I, for one, have the occasional luck to work on an Alpha -- not running
Linux -- but not so frequently as to always follow Linux Alpha
discussions "just to keep tabs" on that camp.  This news is significant
enough to warrant my suggesting that Linux be run on it in the future.
As such, I appreciated being clued in on that front, and I maintain
that this is as appropriate as any a forum for such an announcement.

I don't mean to single you out, Paul.  There are, of course, others in
your camp.  But I submit that your (pl.) notion of NG spam should be
narrowed somewhat.  Or, at least, you ignore such postings, especially
when they are appreciated by others.

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Compaq announces public Beta test for Linux Alpha C compiler
On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:55:46 -0700, "Richard J. Dawes"

Quote:

>I don't mean to single you out, Paul.  There are, of course, others in
>your camp.  But I submit that your (pl.) notion of NG spam should be
>narrowed somewhat.  Or, at least, you ignore such postings, especially
>when they are appreciated by others.

So now every posting that is of interest to others is acceptable?
Prehaps you should try to start your own ng.
alt.things.that.interest.Richard.Dawes. :-)
Seriously Richard, I don't see there is any merit to your argument.
Off-topic requests for information should be redirected. Even if you
do care to give an answer IMO you should still point out it is
off-topic. Messages that are commercial in nature don't have a place
here AFAICS. I thought there was no reason for Jordon's vitriol either
but I guess that's part of usenet culture, just as these discussions
are.With over a 1000 messages a week coming in why defend advertising?
Regards,
Greg Martin.
BTW it's nice to have someone reasonable argue this point. It's
usually made by someone who seems to have been asked "and your C
question is?" one too many times and the rhetoric gets a little
tiresome.

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Compaq to port its Fortran and C compilers to Alpha Linux

2. ANNOUNCE: The nstring Library -- first public test release

3. New C and C++ compiler test suites announced.

4. GNU C compiler beta test release

5. Compaq C++ and Extended Math Library to be ported to Alpha Linux along with Fortran and C

6. Announce: libavl balanced tree library, version 2.0 ALPHA 2 released

7. Announce: GNU libavl 2.0 ALPHA 2001.08.05 now available

8. Announce: libavl balanced tree library, version 2.0 ALPHA 2 released

9. .NET Alpha/Beta Code Generator

10. if((alpha = beta(gamma)) == OK)

11. Alpha beta search

12. Alpha-beta search for tictactoe program in MFC