Windows OSR2 & Borland 16 bit apps GPF
Author Message
 Windows OSR2 & Borland 16 bit apps GPF

We have a 16 bit program written in C and compiled under the Borland C
compilers. There is no problem running these programs under the Windows
95 DOS shell, but in Windows 95b OSR2 release (on new machines only) the
Shell to DOS function fails with a GPF.

I have read the OSR2 FAQ
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) which indicates that
a single byte change in Windows 95b OSR2 COMMAND.COM file will fix the
problem, but I was wondering if there is any way to repair this without
changing the OS? Is there a Borland patch or another way to do the shell
without causing this problem? Has Microsoft issued any comments on how
to make this fix?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brad Waddell

Fri, 07 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows OSR2 & Borland 16 bit apps GPF

scribbled :

Quote:
>We have a 16 bit program written in C and compiled under the Borland C
>compilers. There is no problem running these programs under the Windows
>95 DOS shell, but in Windows 95b OSR2 release (on new machines only) the
>Shell to DOS function fails with a GPF.

>I have read the OSR2 FAQ
>(http://www.users.cts.com/king/s/serwin/osr2.html) which indicates that
>a single byte change in Windows 95b OSR2 COMMAND.COM file will fix the
>problem, but I was wondering if there is any way to repair this without
>changing the OS? Is there a Borland patch or another way to do the shell
>without causing this problem? Has Microsoft issued any comments on how
>to make this fix?

Aww, shucks, tis but a single byte. Get your disk editor/hex editor out
and you'll be done in no time. Just back up the file first and it'll be
OK - even if you trash COMMAND.COM Windoze will still boot.

Note that if you trash COMMAND.COM on DOS 6.22 and below, not Win95, you
may have a problem :)

--
Revised anti-spam in use : remove X to reply -
'Xnetbook' becomes 'netbook'

Anti-spam thermonuclear warheads cheap at only $300!

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows OSR2 & Borland 16 bit apps GPF

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:39:05 +0100, James MacDonald

Quote:

>Note that if you trash COMMAND.COM on DOS 6.22 and below, not Win95, you
>may have a problem :)

Nah, just boot from a floppy and replace it.

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows OSR2 & Borland 16 bit apps GPF

scribbled :

Quote:
>On Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:39:05 +0100, James MacDonald

>>Note that if you trash COMMAND.COM on DOS 6.22 and below, not Win95, you
>>may have a problem :)

>Nah, just boot from a floppy and replace it.

Oh, and if you replace it make sure it's got Read Only attributes.
Windows kept corrupting it, and wouldn't do DOS prompts until I set the
attributes to RO.

--
Revised anti-spam in use : remove X to reply -
'Xnetbook' becomes 'netbook'

Anti-spam thermonuclear warheads cheap at only $300!

Sun, 09 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. 16 bit app gpf and server lockup

2. accessing stdout from 16-bit windows app

3. 16 bit apps in Korean Windows 98 BUG!

4. accessing stdout from 16-bit windows app

5. VC++ 1.0/4.0 & 16-bit Apps

6. Need help from MSVC guru's - GPF's with 16-bit

7. Need help from MSVC guru's - GPF's with 16-bit

8. 16 bit Codebase GPF Go AWAY!

9. 32 bit app connects to 16 bit dsn

10. Is there any way to use 16-bit DLL in a 32-bit app?(VC++ 6.0)

11. CBT Hook from 32 bit on a 16 bit app

12. Is there any way to use 16-bit DLL in a 32-bit app?(VC++ 6.0)