I'm a newbie but easy question 
Author Message
 I'm a newbie but easy question

Hi,

All I want to know is how do I compile a c prog. Never used it before I have
a .c prog that works and want to use it. Where do I start.
Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Dan



Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:14:29 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question

Quote:

> All I want to know is how do I compile a c prog. Never used it before I have
> a .c prog that works and want to use it. Where do I start.

Start with the recommendations in the C FAQ.  You can find the
FAQ via google.
--
"I ran it on my DeathStation 9000 and demons flew out of my nose." --Kaz


Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:22:08 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question

Quote:
>Hi,

>All I want to know is how do I compile a c prog. Never used it before I have
>a .c prog that works and want to use it. Where do I start.
>Any help would be appreciated

Get a compiler, like gcc for free, and then type 'gcc foo.c', run a.out and
enjoy.

--
Warmest regards.

Optimize only if it runs too slowly or does not fit, spaces instead of tabs.



Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:25:38 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question


: Get a compiler, like gcc for free, and then type 'gcc foo.c', run a.out and
: enjoy.

Definitely works on UNIX boxes. But the newbie could be using DOS, in which
case they can go to Borland's website and visit the "museum" of old Turbo C
for DOS compilers. If he's using Windows, that's a different ballgame.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your {*filter*}stream.



Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:21:21 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question

Quote:
>: Get a compiler, like gcc for free, and then type 'gcc foo.c', run a.out
>: and enjoy.

>Definitely works on UNIX boxes.

Works fine in Win2K too. Cygnus' package is multiplatform. I don't do Unix
but I do do gcc.

--
Warmest regards.

Optimize only if it runs too slowly or does not fit, spaces instead of tabs.



Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:08:39 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question


: Works fine in Win2K too. Cygnus' package is multiplatform. I don't do Unix
: but I do do gcc.

Cool! I didn't know about that gcc version. A test of a truely free compiler
on a non-free OS would be if it can compile its own sourcecode. Does this gcc
do that?

Being a Linux fan, I'm used to roughing it with just gcc and a text editor.
(should try emacs) I suspect that this Windows gcc would have something of an
IDE like normal DOS and Windows compilers.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your {*filter*}stream.



Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:19:03 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question

Quote:


> : Works fine in Win2K too. Cygnus' package is multiplatform. I don't do Unix
> : but I do do gcc.

> Cool! I didn't know about that gcc version. A test of a truely free compiler
> on a non-free OS would be if it can compile its own sourcecode. Does this gcc
> do that?

> Being a Linux fan, I'm used to roughing it with just gcc and a text editor.
> (should try emacs) I suspect that this Windows gcc would have something of an
> IDE like normal DOS and Windows compilers.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your {*filter*}stream.

Hrm, don't get your hopes up; it doesn't have any sort of IDE; it's
pretty much the same as what you'll have been used to on Linux.

However, I have yet to find myself missing the features of a
"full-blown IDE", being quite comfortable using emacs with gcc for all
my needs.  I can compile my program, and click on errors to jump to
the offending line; do my debugging, /everything/, without leaving
emacs.

Micah

--
A man's pride shall bring him low: but honor shall uphold
the humble in spirit.
                                        Proverbs 29:23



Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:04:03 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question


Quote:
>Hrm, don't get your hopes up; it doesn't have any sort of IDE; it's
>pretty much the same as what you'll have been used to on Linux.

>However, I have yet to find myself missing the features of a
>"full-blown IDE", being quite comfortable using emacs with gcc for all
>my needs.  I can compile my program, and click on errors to jump to
>the offending line; do my debugging, /everything/, without leaving
>emacs.

Ditto with CodeWright and gcc. Down with IDE's.

--
Warmest regards.

Optimize only if it runs too slowly or does not fit, spaces instead of tabs.



Sat, 30 Aug 2003 03:33:14 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question
EMACS.  The editor that OS's are jealous of.

<grin>

Curt


Quote:
> However, I have yet to find myself missing the features of a
> "full-blown IDE", being quite comfortable using emacs with gcc for all
> my needs.  I can compile my program, and click on errors to jump to
> the offending line; do my debugging, /everything/, without leaving
> emacs.



Sat, 30 Aug 2003 04:48:28 GMT  
 I'm a newbie but easy question

Quote:
> EMACS.  The editor that OS's are jealous of.

I thought it was the OS that editors were jealous of (and with a better Lisp
engine than most Lisp engines).
;-)
--
C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
 "The C-FAQ Book" ISBN 0-201-84519-9
C.A.P. FAQ: ftp://cap.connx.com/pub/Chess%20Analysis%20Project%20FAQ.htm


Sat, 30 Aug 2003 05:03:36 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. This is a biztalk question but probably an easy question for you C# guru's

2. Real Fast 'n' Easy Question --

3. easy newbie question

4. IMPORTANT -- And easy to answer - semi-newbie Socket/Telnet question

5. Easy newbie question

6. Easy newbie question

7. A newbie with a easy question

8. Easy Newbie Question

9. NEWBIE QUESTION PROBABLY EASY

10. Easy Newbie Question:

11. Easy Newbie question How to process the contents of a structure

12. Easy Question Im Newbie !!!

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software