borland linker
Author Message
 borland linker

Quote:

>Hi all,
>Can someone please tell me what error is there in the following link line of
>my makefile. If I reduce the length of the line by deleting the name of one
>file then it works - else I get the following error message. Also is there
>a web or ftp site with a makefile that uses a linker directive file.
>Thanks in advance for your help.

>The following is the output of my make command:

>MAKE Version 3.7  Copyright (c) 1987, 1993 Borland International
> tlink32 /Tpe c0x32.obj diag.obj memtest.obj crc32.obj, plx.exe,
>plx.map, import32.lib cw32.lib dos32.lib dosx32.lib errno.lib, ghippi.def
>Fatal: Command arguments too long

It appears that your command arguments are 'too long'.
For a more informative answer, try:
News server: forums.borland.com
and look under borland.public for a relevant newsgroup
--
Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~scs/C-faq/top.html
C-FAQ ftp: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu, C-FAQ Book: ISBN 0-201-84519-9

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 borland linker

Quote:

>The following is the output of my make command:

>MAKE Version 3.7  Copyright (c) 1987, 1993 Borland International
>    tlink32 /Tpe c0x32.obj diag.obj memtest.obj crc32.obj, plx.exe,
>plx.map, import32.lib cw32.lib dos32.lib dosx32.lib errno.lib, ghippi.def
>Fatal: Command arguments too long

This is more or less DOS problem of command line must be
shorter than 126 byte or so.

Borland MAKE used syntax like

        long text
        more

OR

         long text
<<

Aloha

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 borland linker

Quote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please tell me what error is there in the following link line of
> my makefile. If I reduce the length of the line by deleting the name of one
> file then it works - else I get the following error message. Also is there
> a web or ftp site with a makefile that uses a linker directive file.

directive file: you know the solution already

<responsefile>
bla bla bla &
bla bla bla bla &
bla bla
</responsefile>

Quote:
> Thanks in advance for your help.

> The following is the output of my make command:

> MAKE Version 3.7  Copyright (c) 1987, 1993 Borland International
>    tlink32 /Tpe c0x32.obj diag.obj memtest.obj crc32.obj, plx.exe,
> plx.map, import32.lib cw32.lib dos32.lib dosx32.lib errno.lib, ghippi.def
> Fatal: Command arguments too long

yes, a DOS-limit. 127 Byte in the commandline
if you take one file out ... it fits
        --Alfred

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 borland linker

Quote:

> >Fatal: Command arguments too long

> It appears that your command arguments are 'too long'.
> For a more informative answer, try:
> News server: forums.borland.com
> and look under borland.public for a relevant newsgroup

This is a good idea. As a hint though, look up in Borland's help how
to use make to generate a temporary file with the arguments to link
in.

jim
--

-This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme {*filter*}.

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 borland linker

Quote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please tell me what error is there in the following link
line of
> my makefile. If I reduce the length of the line by deleting the name
of one
> file then it works - else I get the following error message. Also is
there
> a web or ftp site with a makefile that uses a linker directive file.
> Thanks in advance for your help.

> The following is the output of my make command:

> MAKE Version 3.7  Copyright (c) 1987, 1993 Borland International
>    tlink32 /Tpe c0x32.obj diag.obj memtest.obj crc32.obj, plx.exe,
> plx.map, import32.lib cw32.lib dos32.lib dosx32.lib errno.lib,
ghippi.def
> Fatal: Command arguments too long

<Jack>

I saw this question in one of the borland.public.cpp.* newsgroups,
which was the RIGHT place to ask it.  Here in comp.lang.c is the WRONG
place to ask it.  The language standard does not specify how compilers
or linkers are invoked, or even require that there are compilers and
linkers.

BTW, there is a correct answer in the Borland group where you posted
it.

</Jack>

Sun, 03 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Borland Linker Problem

2. Porting an Application from Borland (linker errors)

3. can borland c/c++ obj file be fed into microsoft linker

4. PLS HELP linker err in Borland C++ 4.0

5. Borland OS/2 linker error ?

6. Linker problem with Borland C++ v4.00

7. Borland C 4.0/4.5 Linker Error: Automatic Data exceeds 64K

8. Borland C 4.0/4.5 Linker Error Automatic Data exceeds 64K

9. borland c/c++ v.1 linker

10. Help please. Borland 3.1 linker error

11. Windows programming with the Borland Paradox Engine: Linker errors

12. Newbie question: linker error with Borland Turbo C++