RPC examples needed-URGENT
Author Message
 RPC examples needed-URGENT

Does any one have any examples of using RPCs?  I have the book _Network
Programming_ by W. Richard Stevens, and the example he gives is with longs.  I
need an example where a pointer to a structure is passed.  And to complicate
things more, the structure contains pointers to other linked lists of
structures! Is this even possible?  Some code examples would be perfect!

Thanks
-Don

Don Ellingsworth              |   'Impeach God'

University of Florida         |      during his speech at UF.

Sun, 08 Oct 1995 19:04:19 GMT
 RPC examples needed-URGENT

Quote:
>Does any one have any examples of using RPCs?  I have the book _Network
>Programming_ by W. Richard Stevens, and the example he gives is with longs.  I
>need an example where a pointer to a structure is passed.  And to complicate
>things more, the structure contains pointers to other linked lists of
>structures! Is this even possible?  Some code examples would be perfect!

It's possible but requires some cunning if there is a possibility of
an item being pointed to more than once or of pointer loops.  There are two
good texts available on Sun flavoured RPC.

        "The Art of Distributed Applications: Programming Techniques for
         Remote Procedure Calls"
        John R. Corbin
        Springer-Verlag
        ISBN 0-387-9747-1

        "Power Programming with RPC"
        John Bloomer
        O'Reilly and Associates
        ISBN 0-937175-77-3

Both include examples.

Mon, 09 Oct 1995 01:43:56 GMT
 RPC examples needed-URGENT

Quote:

>Does any one have any examples of using RPCs?  I have the book _Network
>Programming_ by W. Richard Stevens, and the example he gives is with longs.  I
>need an example where a pointer to a structure is passed.  And to complicate
>things more, the structure contains pointers to other linked lists of
>structures! Is this even possible?  Some code examples would be perfect!

Assuming you're on a Sun workstation, look up rpcgen(1).  It's a code generator
which will do all of the xdr stuff you need to pass a struct.  The information
in answerbook is better for introductory stuff.

I don't normally keep RPC stuff lying around on my school accounts... :-)
--
===> "blah blah raise taxes blah blah new taxes blah blah" --W. Clinton <===
Joe Ogulin  (mundanely)

Mon, 09 Oct 1995 10:45:45 GMT

1. RPC - I need help getting started with RPC

2. Simple RPC examples?

3. URGENT URGENT dlopen() help needed...

4. RPC services without binding to RPC Bind/PortMap?

5. Java RPC : ONC RPC In Java - index.html (0/1)

6. Binary Search Tree using dynamic memory allocation (URGENT request for example)

7. Linked List using dynamic memory allocation (URGENT request for example)

8. RPC on WindowsNT need help

9. RPC on Windows_NT need help

10. Need Help: RPC and MFC

11. Need Help: MFC and RPC