COBOL vrs Ada
Author Message
 COBOL vrs Ada

Quote:
>From: Kent Paul Dolan <xanth!kent>
>The lady, CAPT Grace Murry Hopper, who gave us COBOL is, despite
>Countess Ada, probably the most respected female figure in the
>computing field (can Adele Goldberg be far behind?), which might
>indicate that the language still retains a bit of respect somewhere.

Who is Adele Goldberg?

Quote:
>...(Couldn't DOD at least have said: "all computer word sizes will be
>powers of two, and all arithmetic will be two's complement"?  After
>all, they are specifying the hardware, too!)...

No, It's not right for the language to dictate the architecture of the
machine on which it runs.  Besides, I suspect the DoD didn't want to
exclude any machines from being able to run Ada.

-Dave Sill

The opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not
necessarily reflect those of the Department of Defense or the U.S.
Navy.

Sun, 17 Jan 1993 13:33:00 GMT
 COBOL vrs Ada

Quote:

>>From: Kent Paul Dolan <xanth!kent>
>>The lady, CAPT Grace Murry Hopper, who gave us COBOL is, despite
>>Countess Ada, probably the most respected female figure in the
>>computing field (can Adele Goldberg be far behind?),....

>Who is Adele Goldberg?

Adele is kind of hard to miss:
1) With Alan Kay, one of the key people in Smalltalk, has run that
effort since Alan left(long time ago), now runs Parc Place Systems, a XEROX Parc
spinoff (sort of) for commercializing Smalltalk.
2) Author/coauthor of the Smalltalk books.
3) Immediate past President of the ACM.

If you're not familiar with Smalltalk, among other things, it pioneered
a lot of the bitmap display technology found in current computer systems,
inspired a lot of object-oriented work, and has a lot of interesting
development environment facilities.
--
-john mashey    DISCLAIMER: <generic disclaimer, I speak for me only, etc>

DDD:    408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253
USPS:   MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

Sun, 17 Jan 1993 02:30:00 GMT

1. "C" vrs ADA

2. \"C\" vrs ADA

3. \\"C\\" vrs ADA (really Babbage)

4. \"C\" vrs ADA

5. ##C/C++, Fortran, Cobol, ADA, LISP, etc.**New Compilers**

6. Ada/C/C++ comparison (repeated) (was Re: C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada)

7. C-to-Ada or/and Modular2-to-Ada Translator

8. Non-Ada to Ada LOCs expansion factor(s) wanted

9. "C" vrs "Ada"

10. remove() vrs fopen("""w")

11. gets() vrs scanf()

12. New C++ headers Vrs Old C++ headers.