UNIX - Shared, non shared libraries need some information about this subject
Author Message
 UNIX - Shared, non shared libraries need some information about this subject

Hi,

Platform IBM RS6000, AIX 4.3.3

We are forced by our database vendor to compile our programs with their non
shared libraries (.a) instead of their shared object libraries (.so). This
because the programs did not run anymore with their latest database version
(although they did compile and link). So we compiled our programs with the
non-shared libraries but now we experience serious performance problems due
to increased memory usage. Can anybody tell me something about this subject
or give some suggestions ?

Below are the new compile and link statements, are these optimal/correct for
AIX ?

gcc -DIDI_BIG_ENDIAN -DNOTIMEOUT_SUPPORTED=IDI_TRUE -DOS_SHMADDR_OK=IDI_TRUE
 -DSTRTOUL_SUPPORTED=IDI_TRUE -DUNIX -DSVR4 -DSVR4S -D_REENTRANT -DSTATVFS_S
UPPORTED -DAIO -O -c db_actions.c -DIDI_SERVER  -I/apps/v83/dm/include

gcc -DIDI_BIG_ENDIAN -DNOTIMEOUT_SUPPORTED=IDI_TRUE -DOS_SHMADDR_OK=IDI_TRUE
 -DSTRTOUL_SUPPORTED=IDI_TRUE -DUNIX -DSVR4 -DSVR4S -D_REENTRANT -DSTATVFS_S
UPPORTED -DAIO -s cgi_functions.o fldvalues.o ddb_arrays.o filltempl.o
opi_err.o db_functions.o ddb_functions.o parse_query.o ./db_actions.o
/apps/v83/dm/obj/opilib/opilib.a /apps/v83/dm/obj/opcslib/opcslib.a
/apps/v83/dm/obj/opilib/opilib.a
/apps/v83/dm/obj/opcslib/opcslib.a -L/apps/v83/dm/lib -ldmlib -L/apps/v83/dm
/lib -lsslib -L/apps/v83/dm/lib -luelib -lnsl  -lpthread -lopilib -lm -o
db_actions29236 -DIDI_SERVER  -I/apps/v83/dm/include

Regards,

Louis Banens

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:50:09 GMT
 UNIX - Shared, non shared libraries need some information about this subject

Quote:

> Platform IBM RS6000, AIX 4.3.3

> We are forced by our database vendor to compile our programs with their non
> shared libraries (.a) instead of their shared object libraries (.so). This
> because the programs did not run anymore with their latest database version
> (although they did compile and link). So we compiled our programs with the
> non-shared libraries but now we experience serious performance problems due
> to increased memory usage. Can anybody tell me something about this subject
> or give some suggestions ?

Off topic - try an AIX newsgroup.

--

http://www.qwikpages.com/backstreets/cbfalconer
   (Remove "NOSPAM." from reply address. my-deja works unmodified)

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:28:59 GMT
 UNIX - Shared, non shared libraries need some information about this subject
Quote:

> Hi,

> Platform IBM RS6000, AIX 4.3.3

> We are forced by our database vendor to compile our programs with their non
> shared libraries (.a) instead of their shared object libraries (.so). This

[snip]
As this is not a question about the C language, it is

or an AIX newsgroup.

--ag

--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account
for more info)

--
A: Yes I would. But not enough to put it out.

Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:47:29 GMT

1. Information on porting unix-->windows regarding shared memory emulation

2. Shared Libraries vs. Shared Executables

3. shared library information

4. UNIX Shared Libraries

5. Need help to resolve errors in using Shared libraries

6. need help please - shared libraries

7. Needed: share(free)ware btree (db) library

8. Help!! Need info on Shared Libraries

9. can't access a needed shared library

10. Linking archive libraries with shared libraries

11. Changing from using shared libraries to static libraries.

12. Changing from using shared libraries to static libraries.