How to use man page if you don't know the function name
Author Message
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name

How to find whether there is a particular function for a task.How to
use man when you don't know the name of the function.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name
try man -k <keyword>

Quote:

> How to find whether there is a particular function for a task.How to
> use man when you don't know the name of the function.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name

Quote:
>How to find whether there is a particular function for a task.How to
>use man when you don't know the name of the function.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

What has man and manpage to do with C? - Anyway, I'm sure that
lsearch(), bsearch() or lfind() are fast enough.

    :-))

Georg Pohl

Have a look to a good paper manual

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name
But since lots of systems don't have the man -k facility set up you may have
to resort to going into the /usr/include directories and doing a grep on the
header files for relevant words (don't forget subdirectories too).  It's a
bit exhaustive since you have to look at all the files that produce matches
but it may get you a function name that you can then look up in the man
pages.

Quote:
> try man -k <keyword>

> > How to find whether there is a particular function for a task.How to
> > use man when you don't know the name of the function.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name
Agree, try:

comp.unix.programmer

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name

Quote:

> >How to find whether there is a particular function for a task.How to
> >use man when you don't know the name of the function.

> What has man and manpage to do with C? - Anyway, I'm sure that
> lsearch(), bsearch() or lfind() are fast enough.

>     :-))

bsearch(), yes. But from where do you get lsearch() and lfind()? I can't
find them in my n869 draft.

--

Richard Heathfield

37 K&R Answers: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton/kandr2/index.html (60
to go)

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name

Quote:

> bsearch(), yes. But from where do you get lsearch() and lfind()? I can't
> find them in my n869 draft.

They're common UNIX extensions, not part of ANSI C at all.
They're linear-search equivalents of bsearch().

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name

Quote:

> > >How to find whether there is a particular function for a
task.How to
> > >use man when you don't know the name of the function.

> > What has man and manpage to do with C? - Anyway, I'm sure that
> > lsearch(), bsearch() or lfind() are fast enough.

> >     :-))

> bsearch(), yes. But from where do you get lsearch() and lfind()? I
can't
> find them in my n869 draft.

Richard, you caught me :-) I'm praying about C and ANSI and use non
ANSI.

As Ben wrote this are rather common extensions of bsearch() doing a
linear search and (lsearch()) insert a new element in the array.

Hope you excuse my mistake

Georg Pohl

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name

Quote:

>> bsearch(), yes. But from where do you get lsearch() and lfind()? I can't
>> find them in my n869 draft.

>They're common UNIX extensions, not part of ANSI C at all.
>They're linear-search equivalents of bsearch().

Which shouldn't be taken as implying that bsearch() doesn't do a linear
search.  (An HP-UX man page says that bsearch does a binary search, but
neither the ANSI nor draft-ISO C standard says anything about the algorithm
used by bsearch.)
--

Kenan Systems Corp., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lucent Technologies

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name

Quote:

>>> bsearch(), yes. But from where do you get lsearch() and lfind()? I can't
>>> find them in my n869 draft.

>>They're common UNIX extensions, not part of ANSI C at all.
>>They're linear-search equivalents of bsearch().

>Which shouldn't be taken as implying that bsearch() doesn't do a linear
>search.  (An HP-UX man page says that bsearch does a binary search, but
>neither the ANSI nor draft-ISO C standard says anything about the algorithm
>used by bsearch.)

Yep. The 'b' in bsearch could well stand for ``basic'' and the 'q'
in qsort could be taken to mean ``quick and dirty''.
Or perhaps ``quadratic time''. ;)

--
#exclude <windows.h>

Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name
: How to find whether there is a particular function for a task.How to
: use man when you don't know the name of the function.

NAME
       apropos - search the manual page names and descriptions

SYNOPSIS
       apropos [-dhV] [-r|-w] [-m system[,...]] [-M path] keyword

--
        Chris F.A. Johnson

               Everything in moderation - including moderation

Tue, 05 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to use man page if you don't know the function name

Quote:

>: How to find whether there is a particular function for a task.How to
>: use man when you don't know the name of the function.

>NAME
>       apropos - search the manual page names and descriptions

I've found a couple of academic systems (which I couldn't therefore fiddle
with myself) have broken apropos. If the person is talking about ANSI C,
then searching brief summaries of the libraries (enter the appendices of
Kernighan & Ritchie, stage left, wearing a hat) would be as useful, if
they know the vague area of interest.

J-P
--
Yeah I traded laughs
in for chartsengraphs

Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using fopen when you don't know the name of the file

2. Don't know why this doesn't work, but

3. Calling DLL functions without known function name, parameter-list until run-time

4. DLL function calling problems (explicit - only knowing function name at runtime)

5. Don't know how to use Lcc-Win32

6. i don't know the string length...

7. I don't know the command of c compiler on the linux corel

8. DON'T KNOW HOW TO GENERATE RANDOM NUMBERS

9. Linux(Yes, linux, I don't know where else to put it) .H file

10. Don't know why?[help]

11. Don't know why resourses not working?

12. who can help me ,I really don't know why