book to learn C++ for C programmers
Author Message
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

Somewhere, I remember seeing such a book, but can't remember where.
Anyone aware of such a book?

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

The one that I know of is 'C++ for C Programmers' by Ira Pohl - you can
probably find it on Amazon - while you're there you can search for other
similiar titles.

Quote:

> Somewhere, I remember seeing such a book, but can't remember where.
> Anyone aware of such a book?

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

Read a methodology book first [Unified method for instance].  The paradigm
shift between procedural and OO is >>MUCH<< harder to get a handle on than
using a few new tools.

Then read Bjarne Stroustrup's new book.  Work out the exercises too.

Most C++ books are crap.

--
C-FAQ ftp sites: ftp://ftp.eskimo.com ftp://rtfm.mit.edu
Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

Quote:

> Most C++ books are crap.

As should be obvious from Sturgeon's Law.

--

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/
            http://www.ed.ac.uk/~filmsoc/

Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

Quote:

> The one that I know of is 'C++ for C Programmers' by Ira Pohl - you can
> probably find it on Amazon - while you're there you can search for other
> similiar titles.

> > Somewhere, I remember seeing such a book, but can't remember where.
> > Anyone aware of such a book?

"Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel - Prentice-Hall
--
Larry Blanchard - Old roses, old motorcycles, and old trains

I have found that all ugly things are made by those who strive to make
something beautiful and that all beautiful things are made by those who
strive to make something useful.    Oscar Wilde

Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

Quote:

> : Somewhere, I remember seeing such a book, but can't remember where.
> : Anyone aware of such a book?

> Actually a great number of books that teach C++ that assume you are a C
> programmer.

Indeed. Joseph was probably asking for a specific book, which I do believe
someone referred him to.

Quote:
> C++ for Dummies is one.  It is all right, but not great.

You do mean 'all right for a good game of Spot the Bug,' right?

[-                               firewind                                   -]

[-          "You're just jealous because the voices talk to -me-."          -]
[-                   Have a good day, and enjoy your C.                     -]
[-          (on a crusade of grumpiness where grumpiness is due)            -]

Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

: Somewhere, I remember seeing such a book, but can't remember where.
: Anyone aware of such a book?

Actually a great number of books that teach C++ that assume you are a C
programmer.

C++ for Dummies is one.  It is all right, but not great.
Check you local book store and look through them.

--
If at first you don't succeed -- give up!? No use being a damn fool.
No job is so simple that is can't be done wrong.

 Web Page  http://www.ici.net/cust_pages/carla/index.html
READ THE FAQ for more information:
   C-FAQ ftp sites: ftp://ftp.eskimo.com or ftp://rtfm.mit.edu
   Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Remember: Those who think they know it all...
          Are very annoying to those of us who do.

Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

Quote:

> Somewhere, I remember seeing such a book, but can't remember where.

There are many such books. There's not just one. Generally, the problem
with such books is they approach C++ from a nuts-and-bolts level ("this
is how C++ differs syntactically from C") and do a poor job (if they do
it at all) of teaching OO design concepts. Most C++ books for C
programmers introduce C++'s new features as language syntax elements,
and do not discuss them in an overall OO context -- ie, they tell what
a class and a virtual function *is*, but they don't tell why
it was included in the language and what you use it for.

For reviews of some C++ books, see the second web address in my
signature. A good start for accomplished C programmers is
reading Thinking in C++.

Scott
--
Look at Softbase Systems' client/server tools, www.softbase.com
Check out the Essential 97 package for Windows 95 www.skwc.com/essent

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

Quote:

> > Somewhere, I remember seeing such a book, but can't remember where.

> There are many such books. There's not just one. Generally, the problem
> with such books is they approach C++ from a nuts-and-bolts level ("this
> is how C++ differs syntactically from C") and do a poor job (if they do
> it at all) of teaching OO design concepts. Most C++ books for C
> programmers introduce C++'s new features as language syntax elements,
> and do not discuss them in an overall OO context -- ie, they tell what
> a class and a virtual function *is*, but they don't tell why
> it was included in the language and what you use it for.

One outstanding exception to the above is _Class Construction in C
and C++_ by Roger Session, published by Prentice Hall.  It goes
through a linked-list example in straight C, then an "OO" linked
list example, still in C, using function pointers to emulate
virtual functions.  Finally, it does the example in C++ which
goes a long way toward showing how C++ hides all the "ugly"
syntax that was presented in the "OO" C example.

The book of course assumes you know C, and teaches OO concepts,
not just syntactic differences (although it does discuss
these to a great extent as well).

Rick

Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 book to learn C++ for C programmers

: > C++ for Dummies is one.  It is all right, but not great.

: You do mean 'all right for a good game of Spot the Bug,' right?
Being able to 'spot the bug' is a pretty good way of learning!  ;-)

--
If at first you don't succeed -- give up!? No use being a damn fool.
No job is so simple that is can't be done wrong.
You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever.

 Web Page  http://www.ici.net/cust_pages/carla/index.html
READ THE FAQ for more information:
   C-FAQ ftp sites: ftp://ftp.eskimo.com or ftp://rtfm.mit.edu
   Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Remember: Those who think they know it all...
          Are very annoying to those of us who do.

Sun, 25 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

2. Non-CS major C programmers

3. Book for COBOL programmer wanting to learn C

4. FS: Programming and CS Books --- CHEAP

5. FREE TRAINING (C++ for C programmers, also learn C)

6. Experienced VC++ programmers, please assist VB guy lookin to learn C++

7. VB Programmer learning C++

8. Experienced VC++ programmers, please assist VB guy lookin to learn C++

9. Books: Which ones best for learning C/C++

10. Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

11. VISUAL C++ Learning Sites / Books