Converting PL1 Code to C Code
Author Message
 Converting PL1 Code to C Code

        >How does one make an orderly transition away from PL/I to C?
        >So far this question seems to have generated a lot more heat than light.

---The question has one clear outcome -- generally, PL/I
can't be converted to C because doesn't have the fundamental
capability that PL/I has.  At best, it would be a difficult
job, and the final result will, in most cases, be less
than satisfactory because C lacks error handling.
The C version would be very difficult to maintain, because
it lacks the debug facilities of PL/I.

        >I know it seems incomprehensible that anyone would want to convert to C,
        >but there are reasons.

        >1. Portability
        >   At this time I know of no set of PL/I compilers that would allow a single
        >   set of code to run on Macintosh, NT, Windows 95, Linux and VMS.  There are
        >   C compilers that would allow this.

---PL/I runs on VMS, and has done so for many years.  Originally
UniPrise supplied the compilers for DEC, then
Digital provided the compilers for their systems, but now
UniPrise provide and develop PL/I for Digital.  Their
latest compiler was introduced in December 1995.  I think,
but am not sure OTOMH, that Liant's PL/I is now available
under Windows NT.  IBM's PL/I compiler is currently being beta
tested on Windows 95 and NT.  PL/I runs under OS/2, and under OS/2
runs Windows 3.1.  We don't know of a version of PL/I that
runs under Linux, but suggest you see Liant, who have PL/I
under a number of unix platforms.  That only leaves the MacIntosh.

   PL/I runs under a wide range of unix syatems (that's why
Liant call theirs "Open PL/I") including the PC.

   You might be interested in getting the OS/2 veraion, as
it is unconstrained by 640Kb and 4Mb limits.  It's also
a better OS in terms of reliabilty.

        >2. Resources
        >   There are virtually no programmers with PL/I skills in my market, but the
        >   universities are producing many new C programmers each semester.
        >   In order for me to continue using PL/I I have to hire C programmers
        >   and then invest in training them in the ways of PL/I.

---Universities are producing graduates with PL/I skills,
while PL/I courses are being offered by other educationalists.
You probably haven't scratched too deeply for people with
PL/I skills.  There are many experienced hands out there.

        >3. Oligopolisitic Marketplace
        >   While IBM has recently become active in PL/I compiler development (and I
        >   wish them well) DEC has recently sold its PL/I technology and withdrawn
        >   from the market.

---Digital have not "withdrawn" from the market, as you put it.
They have, however, come to an arrangement with UniPrise to
produce, develop, and maintain PL/I compilers for Digital's
machines and their customers.  Digital's customers still
purchase their compilers through Digital.

   UniPrise have just released a new version of PL/I
compiler for Digital's computers (December 1995) with
excellent new manuals.

        >   There are very few compiler providers left and the
        >   lack of compiler competition allows the compiler shops to charge higher
        >   prices and provide lower levels of service and innovation.

---Competition?   Nonsense!  All of the compiler manufacturers
are competing among each other for the market.  They each
offer the "options" of their competitors.  The "lack of competition"
you mention has recently resulted in a reduction of prices for
the wares of one provider.  The "lack of competition" has resulted
in IBM producing new compilers for OS/2, AIX, and Windows
(under beta test) with new, extensive PL/I language features.

        >For some of us the issue Alexander raises is not of immediate importance,
        >but I suspect that eventually we'll all be interested in the answer.
        >Lon Amick

---Not really.  As for me, I'm not{*filter*} around waiting
for other languages to catch up to PL/I in terms of the facilities
PL/I provides, the ease of writing programs, &c.

Sun, 20 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting PL1 Code to C Code
I'd rather use than PL/I than C anyday. A company does exist that ports
PL/I
to both COBOL and C. Such code might make a good start in a conversion
effort.
If and when I find the company's name I'll post it here.

Sun, 20 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting PL1 Code to C Code

Quote:

>    >How does one make an orderly transition away from PL/I to C?

Well Robin, 200 lines of blah blah blah wins you the twit filer prize.

Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00 GMT

1. converting this VB code to VC++ code

2. how to convert source code pascal to source code c

3. how convert a c code to a assembly code

4. Help convert the C code to C pseudo code

5. Converts Fortran code to C code

6. Converting/Porting C code to RPG code

7. Urgent Reply : Convert Turbo Pascal 7.0 code to Visual C++ 6.0 code

8. Wanted: Program to convert Pascal code to C code

9. Q: Converting code.c to code.tex?

10. convert the code of Arabic character set to code of Unicode

11. convert Fortran code to C code

12. Converting Fortran code to c code