Need simple checksum algorithm
Author Message
 Need simple checksum algorithm

I need a simple algorithm to compute file checksums for software control
across several old Data General Eclipse systems.

Roger Fischer

Mon, 12 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need simple checksum algorithm

Quote:

>I need a simple algorithm to compute file checksums for software control
>across several old Data General Eclipse systems.

Thanks for sharing ;-)
Web search engine broken?  Try archie or gopher.
Lacking all of these, comp.sources newsgroups make some amount of sense.

Why not just use a CRC? [FCOL]
--
Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
C-FAQ ftp: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu, C-FAQ Book: ISBN 0-201-84519-9

Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need simple checksum algorithm
: I need a simple algorithm to compute file checksums for software control
: across several old Data General Eclipse systems.

: Roger Fischer

Keep XORing your bytes, words, longwords or whatever into a
result, and shifting the result left 1 bit before XORing in
the next item.  This would be simple and fast.  CRC (Cyclic
Redundancy Check) would be slower, but its quality of error
detection is a lot better.

-- Wetboy

Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need simple checksum algorithm
: I need a simple algorithm to compute file checksums for software control
: across several old Data General Eclipse systems.

Keep XORing your bytes, words, longwords or whatever into a
result, and rotating the result 1 bit before XORing in the
next item.  This would be simple and fast.  CRC (Cyclic
Redundancy Check) would be slower, but its quality of error
detection is a lot better.

-- Wetboy

Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Simple Checksum source/algorithm needed

2. File checksum algorithm/code in C

3. Utility to find out modified record using Checksum algorithm

4. Looking for checksum/digest algorithms.

5. Need simple computation algorithm

6. need simple word wrap algorithm

7. Need simple word processor algorithm in C

8. Simple problem across processes - need simplest answer

9. Looking for simple DIFF algorithm

10. Simple boardgame AI algorithm?

11. sort algorithm for simple sort

12. Looking for simple example of hashing algorithm!!!!