Really HUGE numbers. .
Author Message
 Really HUGE numbers. .

hi,

I'm looking for a library that can handle really HUGE numbers.

Number upto 256 bytes (2048 bits).

Just simple arithmetic (addition/subtraction, mult/divide)

it would be nice to be able to serialize them as well  (read/write to file)

thanks for any suggestions

Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:12:00 GMT
 Really HUGE numbers. .

Quote:

> I'm looking for a library that can handle really HUGE numbers.

Read the FAQ.
--
"I ran it on my DeathStation 9000 and demons flew out of my nose." --Kaz

Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:12:31 GMT
 Really HUGE numbers. .
Where is it in the FAQ Ben?

There are some link to external tools and resources but I can't find
this myself...

Harold, the original poster is probably aware that the C language have
no support for arbitrary precision arithmetic but he can design a set of
functions himself or use a library like GNU MP .

http://www.swox.com/gmp/

I never used it but it looks good. There is even a demo on the web page
where you can make some calculations using GMP!

Ben Pfaff a crit:

Quote:

>>I'm looking for a library that can handle really HUGE numbers.

> Read the FAQ.

Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:35:01 GMT
 Really HUGE numbers. .
[Top posting corrected.]

Quote:
> Ben Pfaff a crit:

> >>I'm looking for a library that can handle really HUGE numbers.

> > Read the FAQ.

> Where is it in the FAQ Ben?

Perhaps Ben was referring to the usenet FAQs in general and how to avoid
asking oft repeated questions, whether they are in the group's FAQ or not.
Had the OP done some lurking they would also come to the realisation that
this is not a sources-wanted or algorithms group.

Googling comp.lang.c for "really huge numbers" [sound familiar?] shows quite
a few threads on the subject.

--
Peter

Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:19:43 GMT
 Really HUGE numbers. .
On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 03:35:01 -0400, in comp.lang.c , Alexandre Jasmin

Quote:

>Where is it in the FAQ Ben?

its referenced in the sig blocks of many of the regulars here, and of
course you can always find them on the FAQ website, which a google
search will turn up.

--
Mark McIntyre

Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:37:14 GMT
 Really HUGE numbers. .

Quote:

> Where is it in the FAQ Ben?

18.15d, as you'd find if you took the trouble to look yourself.

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:13:31 GMT
 Really HUGE numbers. .

Quote:

>>Where is it in the FAQ Ben?

> 18.15d, as you'd find if you took the trouble to look yourself.

I'm sorry,

I was looking at the HTML version hosted at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/versions.html

But it's not up to date and question 18.5d isn't part of it yet. But I
was able to find it in a plain text version.

At least the software I sugested is part of the answer. So I guess it
worth the try.

I will copy the text here in case the original poster is also searching
the old version.

18.15d:
I need code for performing multiple precision arithmetic.

A:
Some popular packages are the "quad" functions within the BSD
        Unix libc sources (ftp.uu.net, /systems/unix/bsd-sources/..../
        /src/lib/libc/quad/*), the GNU MP library, the MIRACL package
        (see http://indigo.ie/~mscott/ ), and the old Unix libmp.a.
        See also questions 14.12 and 18.16.

        pp. 343-454.

Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:57:55 GMT

1. Help--need really fast search to compare two HUGE files of text records

2. Huge Numbers

3. Massivly Huge numbers in C++

4. huge integer numbers?

5. Problem with huge number calculations

6. Antw: Problem with huge number calculations

7. How can I use huge || very small number?

8. really new to C -- comparing numbers

9. How do I store a really big number?

10. Really Easy Random Number Question

11. Powers and square roots for really large numbers

12. Q: Library for handling really large numbers