Easy ftp question (if you know the answer)
Author Message
 Easy ftp question (if you know the answer)

Hi
I am currently developing some file transfer utilities to run on unix
and NT. These will use FTP over TCP/IP to move the files across systems.
The question:
what are the methods available for invoking FTP?
For instance I can wrap my (C) program around a bunch of system calls
and redirect stdin and stdout (messy?). I can write my own
impleemntation of RFC 959. I can write my own sockets program
(connect(), listen(), etc). But I get the feeling that this is missing
the point. Is there a hook into the system that allows me to do
something like :

#include <?.h>

main()
{
    char Buffer[];

    ftp(open, "100.101.102.103");
    ftp(login, "John");
    ftp(ls, Buffer);

}

I need to be able to get lists of available files and generally interact
(ie call relevant functions depending on previous steps) with the remote
system.

Any pointers gratefully accepted
--
John Speight

Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Easy ftp question (if you know the answer)

Quote:

>Hi
>I am currently developing some file transfer utilities to run on unix
>and NT. These will use FTP over TCP/IP to move the files across systems.
>The question:
>what are the methods available for invoking FTP?

The C language itself doesn't define any, you'll have to use whatever
interfaces your platform/compiler provides.

Quote:
>For instance I can wrap my (C) program around a bunch of system calls
>and redirect stdin and stdout (messy?). I can write my own
>impleemntation of RFC 959. I can write my own sockets program
>(connect(), listen(), etc). But I get the feeling that this is missing
>the point. Is there a hook into the system that allows me to do
>something like :

You are better off discussing specific systems in a system related
newsgroup. For Unix you might try comp.unix.programmer, for NT one of
the comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.* newsgroups.

Wed, 17 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. several questions maybe w/ easy answers?

2. IMPORTANT -- And easy to answer - semi-newbie Socket/Telnet question

3. I have a question that should be easy to answer

4. NEWBIE NEEDS EASY QUESTION ANSWERED!

5. EventLog question (nobody knows the answer)

6. Simple question ( for those how knows the answer )

7. Beginner Questions where everybody knows the answer :)

8. @> two easy easy questions

9. Easy way to send files through FTP...

10. Has to be an easy answer.

11. ADMI - which group will know the answer??

12. Do you know the answer?