Possibly OT: Project !dea :)
Author Message
 Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

Greetings all...

I'm in my final year of my BE (Comp. Sc. and Engg.) program and am required
to do a full blown project as a part of the course. So here's a RFI (request
for idea ;-)) to all folks out here...

The time constraint is about 3 months (but if I start now, I can squeeze in
an extra month) and I shall be working on the project alone. I am extremely
proficient in programming and would like to embark on a worthwhile
venture... so put on that !dea cap of yours and let the imagination flow :))

I'd like to do my project in either Linux/UNIX or Win32 platforms. What I am
looking for is a *project idea* - a really good one... my areas of interest
include
 * System programming (filesystems, OSes etc)
 * Networks (incl. Internet)
 * Graphics
 * Well, anything at all...!

Thanks a million for your precious time... (the accepted !dea will be
included in the "Acknoledgements" section of my project report and
documentation... :) hehehe)

--
Naren

PS: Tips on where to look also wholely welcome !

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:24:45 GMT
 Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

Quote:
> Greetings all...

> I'm in my final year of my BE (Comp. Sc. and Engg.) program and am
required
> to do a full blown project as a part of the course. So here's a RFI
(request
> for idea ;-)) to all folks out here...

> The time constraint is about 3 months (but if I start now, I can squeeze
in
> an extra month) and I shall be working on the project alone. I am
extremely
> proficient in programming and would like to embark on a worthwhile
> venture... so put on that !dea cap of yours and let the imagination flow
:))

> I'd like to do my project in either Linux/UNIX or Win32 platforms. What I
am
> looking for is a *project idea* - a really good one... my areas of
interest
> include
>  * System programming (filesystems, OSes etc)
>  * Networks (incl. Internet)
>  * Graphics
>  * Well, anything at all...!

> Thanks a million for your precious time... (the accepted !dea will be
> included in the "Acknoledgements" section of my project report and
> documentation... :) hehehe)

Well, people here have been asking for a DeathStation emulator for some time
now...

--
Peter

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:51:30 GMT
 Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

>> Thanks a million for your precious time... (the accepted !dea will be
>> included in the "Acknoledgements" section of my project report and
>> documentation... :) hehehe)

> Well, people here have been asking for a DeathStation emulator for some time
> now...

DS 9900 at least and probably the most important (and perhaps
also the most difficult part to implement) issue about it
would be a nasal deamons feature. I'ld give a 100000 EUR for this
one, I could account for some more customers if that budget is to
low, let's see how far we can get.

"Armed Response Technologies" doesn't appear to be updating
their DeathStation 9000 to C99 which appears to be a rather
unlucky decision.
--

"LISP  is worth learning for  the profound enlightenment  experience
a better programmer for the rest of your days."   -- Eric S. Raymond

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:22:43 GMT
 Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

Quote:

> DS 9900 at least and probably the most important (and perhaps
> also the most difficult part to implement) issue about it
> would be a nasal deamons feature. I'ld give a 100000 EUR for this
> one, I could account for some more customers if that budget is to
> low, let's see how far we can get.

How about an electrically-triggered puff of pepper to make you sneeze?

--
Simon.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:07:47 GMT
 Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

Quote:

>> DS 9900 at least and probably the most important (and perhaps
>> also the most difficult part to implement) issue about it
>> would be a nasal deamons feature. I'ld give a 100000 EUR for this
>> one, I could account for some more customers if that budget is to
>> low, let's see how far we can get.

>How about an electrically-triggered puff of pepper to make you sneeze?

Oh come on, be practical!  ;)  Too complicated, needs to be refilled
when the pepper gets low, etc.; much easier to administer electric shock.
Making the keyboard conductive, and holding it at ground potential,
while sending a pulse of high voltage to the mouse, should do the trick.
This will have the added benefit of not biting those of us who seldom
use the mouse.

Hmmm, now I have the image of an Internet {*filter*} room near my house,
where one often sees hapless game-{*filter*}s sitting in front of screens
in the partial darkness, late into the night, rather like slot machines
in {*filter*} houses.  But now I'm picturing periodic "zap" sounds,
accompanied by flashes of light.  I.e., a bug-zapper for computer gamers!

"You have written void main().  Receive electric shock now?  [OK] / Cancel"
(Cancel is greyed-out of course).

--Ben

--

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:36:48 GMT
 Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

Quote:

> > DS 9900 at least and probably the most important (and perhaps
> > also the most difficult part to implement) issue about it
> > would be a nasal deamons feature. I'ld give a 100000 EUR for this
> > one, I could account for some more customers if that budget is to
> > low, let's see how far we can get.

> How about an electrically-triggered puff of pepper to make you sneeze?

That wouldn't be portable.  Only would work for
the possessed.

-Mike

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:27:02 GMT
 Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

Quote:

> >How about an electrically-triggered puff of pepper to make you sneeze?

> Oh come on, be practical!  ;)  Too complicated, needs to be refilled
> when the pepper gets low, etc.; much easier to administer electric shock.
> Making the keyboard conductive...

I actually saw this implemented on an episode of The Incredible Hulk (TV
show) around 1979. It looked pretty effective...

        david

--
...the use of keys+commands required a higher level of mental planning
to organise the interaction, which apparently obscures the perception

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:12:57 GMT
 Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

Quote:

> > Oh come on, be practical!  ;)  Too complicated, needs to be refilled
> > when the pepper gets low, etc.; much easier to administer electric shock.
> > Making the keyboard conductive...

> I actually saw this implemented on an episode of The Incredible Hulk (TV
> show) around 1979. It looked pretty effective...

I've been kind of scared of keyboards ever since I saw a movie
where someone spilled coffee into one and the whole building
turned invisible...
--
"You call this a *C* question? What the hell are you smoking?" --Kaz

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:19:53 GMT

1. Possibly OT: Project !dea :)

2. GNU preprocessor (possibly) question (semi-OT)

3. Opening a folder (possibly OT)

4. Possibly a dumb question, possibly not?

5. Need help ot reconstruct messed up project

6. String table and project settings (OT?)

7. !dea: want to develop a tool like WSDL.exe to generate proxy for FLASH ActionScript

8. Possibly OT: dereferencing. how does the compiler know?

9. Intellisense problem (possibly)

10. Strange Databinding Behavior - Possibly a bug

11. HDI: call an arbitrary function with an arbitrary number of arguments (and possibly arbitrary types)

12. Possibly why people post off-topic here...