how good am I? Am I Good Enough????
Author Message
 how good am I? Am I Good Enough????

I am learning to be a software developer (diploma almost done)  I was
just wondering if any of you out there can give me a clue as to how to
find out how good a programmer I am and how good I have to be to get a
job in the games or virtual reality programming areas???

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 how good am I? Am I Good Enough????

Quote:

> I am learning to be a software developer (diploma almost done)  I was
> just wondering if any of you out there can give me a clue as to how to
> find out how good a programmer I am [...]

Judge by the programs you write.  How do they compare to commercial
program that you see?  Are they easy to use?  How does the speed
compare?

Ask someone you know who is reasonably good to look at your code,
and see how easily they understand what's going on.  Do they think
they could maintain it if they had to?

How large a project have you written on your own?  How varied are
the projects you have done?  Don't count anything under, say, 2500
lines.  When you have written a project by yourself in the, oh,
15-30K lines of code range (depending on the complexity) I would
say that gets you to a mid-level experience range.

Quote:
> [...] and how good I have to be to get a
> job in the games [...]

There are two ways; 1) write your own games, and become an
entrepreneur, or 2) write your own games, and get noticed by a
game company.  I'm doubtful many programmers get hired just
because they "want to program games, and think it would be fun."
There are too many excellent programmers out there that want
to do it, so this is an area where you have to prove yourself.

Quote:
> [...] or virtual reality programming areas???

Try the military or aerospace.  Even then, "virtual reality" does
not really exist, except as "simulation technology".  We are not
close to having anything that would qualify as VR.

| "Judge all, and be prepared to be judged by all."                      |

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 how good am I? Am I Good Enough????

#
# I am learning to be a software developer (diploma almost done)  I was
# just wondering if any of you out there can give me a clue as to how to
# find out how good a programmer I am

That's easy. Participate in the next International Obfuscated C Code
Contest (IOCCC). Click on http://reality.sgi.com/csp/ioccc/ to find
out more.

# and how good I have to be to get a
# job in the games or virtual reality programming areas???

Okay, then you should go for the 'Best Game', 'Best X11 Program' awards.
Good luck, you'll need it. There are quite sophisticated contestants you'll
have to beat :-)

        Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt  http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/People/schweikhardt/home.html

Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 how good am I? Am I Good Enough????

Quote:

> #
> # I am learning to be a software developer (diploma almost done)  I was
> # just wondering if any of you out there can give me a clue as to how to
> # find out how good a programmer I am

> That's easy. Participate in the next International Obfuscated C Code
> Contest (IOCCC). Click on http://reality.sgi.com/csp/ioccc/ to find
> out more.

In this contest the better you do, the poorer you are at programming ;-)

--
KSG
Bring the Noise on KSDT UCSD

Sat, 18 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am new to programming and am lost

2. Any good enough encryption source?

3. NetServerEnum / NetUserEnum not quite good enough

4. Best language, Best algo and Sorting huge lists

5. Best way to be a good debugger?

6. Best Way to be a good debugger?

7. CListCtrl - Auto Best Size is not good with bitmap in row

8. It is good idea but I am looking for something faster.

9. I am expecting a better way to pass 2-D array to a fn.

10. Determine where I am running

11. System.Threading.Timer , am I doing this correctly ?

12. Am i connected?