Help with RPC_TIMED_OUT and RPC program...
Author Message
 Help with RPC_TIMED_OUT and RPC program...

Hello:

I have a simpe basic RPC server. I have written a library that
contains the needed apis to access this server. I have a  program that
uses
this library to communicate with the server. The result of this
communcation is written to a log file.

Problem: Sometimes I get RPC_TIMED_OUT showing up in the log file. I
know the server, nor my client program puts this message out. I am
puzzled as how this message shows up.  The only place this word
is defined is in libc.a. It is not in librpcsvc.a. So if I am not
writing this message out to the log file, how can it get there ?, and
how do I prevent it ?. I have not redefined stderr etc.

a summary.

Thanks,

-- Niranjan

p.s:

client side is:

main(){

  logfile = fopen(...);
 result = callServer(...);
 fprintf(logfile, result);
 fclose(logfile);

Quote:
}

Sat, 13 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with RPC_TIMED_OUT and RPC program...

|Hello:
|
|I have a simpe basic RPC server. I have written a library that
|contains the needed apis to access this server. I have a  program that
|uses
|this library to communicate with the server. The result of this
|communcation is written to a log file.
|
|Problem: Sometimes I get RPC_TIMED_OUT showing up in the log file. I
|know the server, nor my client program puts this message out. I am
|puzzled as how this message shows up.  The only place this word
|is defined is in libc.a. It is not in librpcsvc.a. So if I am not
|writing this message out to the log file, how can it get there ?, and
|how do I prevent it ?. I have not redefined stderr etc.
|

|a summary.
=========
This should be a fairly empty summary.  Remote Process Control is not in
any way related to discussion of the C language.  You might try
    man rpc
    man rpcinfo
or checking some man pages like those at

http://www.{intack.com/man/sunos,neosoft.com/neosoft}/rpcinfo.8c.html

/* Newsgroup posts also e-mailed */

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help with RPC_TIMED_OUT and RPC program...
:
Quote:
> Problem: Sometimes I get RPC_TIMED_OUT showing up in the log file. I

:
        [lengths of the description which have no resemblance to C
         snipped.]

Quote:
> is defined is in libc.a. It is not in librpcsvc.a. So if I am not
> writing this message out to the log file, how can it get there ?, and
> how do I prevent it ?. I have not redefined stderr etc.

        RPC_TIMED_OUT (I'm not familiar with your particular, apparently
UNIX, RPC facility, but with RPC in general) means the Remote Procedure
Call (RPC) has Timed Out.

        Hmm, guess that's too obvious.. :)  Whenever you invoke a Remote
Procedure Call (which isn't C-oriented, you can have RPCs in any language)
there is the possibility which you must recognize that it will not be
executed within a certain amount of time (for numerous reasons: network
traffic, server overloaded with requests, timeout period too short, etc).

        These error messages are generated by the operating system or
RPC mechanism itself to tell you something went wrong.  You should heed
and handle them, perhaps to write out something more informative to the
logfile when one occurs (like, which RPC timed out, what server was the
RPC invoked on, with what parameters, and from where in your code).. then
you should be able to figure out why they happened and code to better
prevent them.

:

Quote:
> main(){
>   logfile = fopen(...);
>  result = callServer(...);

        Check the arguments to callServer().  This is all I can say from
the material supplied.  result is apparently a pointer to a char buffer,
the RPC_TIMED_OUT message has been written into it.  Anyplace you pass
result or logfile are candidates for how this message is being written
to logfile.

Quote:
>  fprintf(logfile, result);
>  fclose(logfile);
> }

                                                        Derek Harmon

Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. RPC - I need help getting started with RPC

2. Help with RPC programming

3. Java RPC : ONC RPC In Java - index.html (0/1)

4. RPC services without binding to RPC Bind/PortMap?

5. RPC program on Linux platform

6. RPC programming question

7. A RPC programming question

8. rpc program stumper

9. RPC UNIX Programming

10. Simple question about RPC programming

11. Programming using RPC

12. RPC programming ??'s