Solid C Code
Author Message
 Solid C Code

Hello,

does anyone know of a good book that would discuss the
practical side of writing C, like which are good, and
which are bad practices. In general things one usually
gets with experience.

I guess I am looking for something that would provide
almost the same kind of information as the C FAQ does.
(not substitute, but rather complement it)

A book for people who can write production code in C,
but would just like to do it better, more professional,
etc....

thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Solid C Code
If I understand correctly what it is you are seeking, I can recommend

    The Elements of Programming Style, by Kernighan and Plauger.

The authors use Pascal, oops, make that fortran (when the H*ll did I buy
this book?) to make their points, but one can get the gist of their
ideas and apply them to any (?) high level language.

There may be other books and maybe even a c language version.

Sincerely,

 MarcW. (Who now has an excuse to go by the local computer book store
tonight.)

Quote:

> Hello,

> does anyone know of a good book that would discuss the
> practical side of writing C, like which are good, and
> which are bad practices. In general things one usually
> gets with experience.

> I guess I am looking for something that would provide
> almost the same kind of information as the C FAQ does.
> (not substitute, but rather complement it)

> A book for people who can write production code in C,
> but would just like to do it better, more professional,
> etc....

> thanks.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Solid C Code
Also take a look at the 'Indian Hill C Style Manual' which can be viewed
at <http://dogbert.comsc.ucok.edu/~mccann/cstyle.html>

--
_________________________________
Jordan Katz

``Who has the patch pumpkin?''

C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Solid C Code

Quote:

> Hello,

> does anyone know of a good book that would discuss the
> practical side of writing C, like which are good, and
> which are bad practices. In general things one usually
> gets with experience.

> I guess I am looking for something that would provide
> almost the same kind of information as the C FAQ does.
> (not substitute, but rather complement it)

> A book for people who can write production code in C,
> but would just like to do it better, more professional,
> etc....

> thanks.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Check out the book review section here:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/index.htm

--
     ---------------------------------------

     ---------------------------------------

Entropy isn't what it used to be.
-- anonymous

Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Solid C Code

Quote:

>Hello,

>does anyone know of a good book that would discuss the
>practical side of writing C, like which are good, and
>which are bad practices. In general things one usually
>gets with experience.

>I guess I am looking for something that would provide
>almost the same kind of information as the C FAQ does.
>(not substitute, but rather complement it)

>A book for people who can write production code in C,
>but would just like to do it better, more professional,
>etc....

Give a look at "Code Complete" from Microsoft Press (I don't remember the
author name right now). Recently I've read "The practice of programming" by
Kernighan and Pike but it's not as good IMHO (although it's more up to date).

Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Solid C Code

Quote:

> Give a look at "Code Complete" from Microsoft Press (I don't remember the
> author name right now). Recently I've read "The practice of programming" by
> Kernighan and Pike but it's not as good IMHO (although it's more up to date).

Wow my first me too post ;-) These were the two books I was about to
name but Alessandro beat me to it. Kernighan and Pike's
"The Practice of Programming" is the best programming book I've read.

Calum.

Sat, 27 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Writing Solid Code & Code Complete

2. code/classes for Solid Modelling

3. "Writing Solid Code" - compiler warnings

5. Include code in other Cs files

6. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

7. Compile CS source code using ICodeCompiler

8. cs source code

9. To commit a query using API call of Solid Database in C

10. flame: _Writing Solid Code_

11. flame: _Writing Solid Code_

12. _Writing Solid Code_