Buffer sizes and string lengths
Author Message
 Buffer sizes and string lengths

Quote:

>I have a problem (concerned with translating to foreign languages)
>whereby I need to increase sizes of arrays in existing C code
>extending to many thousands of lines. Array sizes have been selected
>to be sufficient for English language strings. Unfortunately foreign
>language strings may be longer, sometimes much longer. Has anyone else
>had this problem ?

Some friendly folks at Apple fixed this problem about 11 years ago
with something called the Macintosh. Now, I'm not assuming that
you are writing this program for the Macintosh, but you might want
to look into what the original Mac programmers did with "resources".
Resource is their term for things like string, icons, fonts, etc.
that might need to be replaced. To write a foreign language port of
your program, you simply replace all the English string resources
with Spanish strings, or French, or whatever.

Too bad you're not programming on a Mac. Your life would be so much
simpler...

A hopeless Mac fanatic.
--

University of California, Santa Barbara   |   Finger me for my PGP public key

Thu, 05 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Buffer sizes and string lengths
I have a problem (concerned with translating to foreign languages)
whereby I need to increase sizes of arrays in existing C code
extending to many thousands of lines. Array sizes have been selected
to be sufficient for English language strings. Unfortunately foreign
language strings may be longer, sometimes much longer. Has anyone else
had this problem ?
I would be most happy to exchange solutions either here, or by email

Thu, 05 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. CStatusBar, Setting the length of a pane to string size[Q]

2. String buffer size ???

3. strings: length of strings

4. buffer with undefined length

5. TDS Buffer Length Too Large

6. CAsyncSocket and receive buffer length

7. socket buffer length

8. get data length in serial port buffer?

9. CString buffer length - how to increase and monitor?

10. Setting the receive buffer length does not work with CAsyncSocket

11. Passing sizes of arrays without a separate argument for the length

12. CString exceeding length size