Failure of popen and system calls ......
Author Message
 Failure of popen and system calls ......

My problem is this - how do I stop unix system calls from failing
due to lack of space when made from a large process. I know there
is actually enough memory available, but the C library subroutines
popen and system apparently don't, despite my changing the value
of MAXMEM in <param.h> - for more info. see below.

Quote:

> Anyone out there who can figure this out?
> In order to install new S on my Unix box I added another 4 Mbyte
> RAM - my system does not have paging.
> I then installed NEW S.
> Everything works fine except for unix calls and functions that depend
> on them.
> If I install restricted new S the unix calls work fine, but I don't
> have access to all the S functions of course.
> After a failed attempt to use the unix function, for example
> after date(), or help()
> I get error messages saying call to UNIX failed : Not enough space
> or something to the effect that the UNIX call returned a status of -1
> In all cases the object last.dump contains a series of messages
> No frame available.
> I can't figure out where the problem is. I can't believe that there
> is not enough RAM as I now have 5.75 Mbyte free for S and nothing
> like that amount seems to be allocated. In any case all the other
> things seem to work ok when I run the tests. Only unix calls dont.
> Any ideas?

A couple of people suggested I was running out of swap space - thanks
for the hint, but that wasn't the problem. I know a little more about it
now (I think), but still need advice -
I believe the problem is that the system limit on the size of a process
is set at a now unrealistically low level (~1.2 Mbytes) in /usr/include/param.h
I altered this and regenerated unix, then remade S - to no avail, and perhaps
not surprisingly (?) because the C libraries were of course compiled with
the old values in param.h. My problem now is that I don't have (wasn't
supplied with) the source code for the C libraries. The closest I can get is
to disassemble them with dis, then tweak the offending C library routines
(popen, system, and possibly fork, exec, pclose?) to fix it. Problem is
I don't even know if this approach would work and
I know nothing about assembly language.
The CPU is an M68010 based(I know its ancient)
and the operating system is AT&T Unix V.2 rel 1.1 (yes, also ancient).
When running S unix calls fail as soon as the process size gets much over
600K - this happens _very_ soon, yet the additional DRAM is nowhere near
full. If unix calls are not used the process can grow to at least 3Mbytes
without any problems - I presume here the additional memory is being
allocated with malloc and the like. My problem only arises it seems if
making unix system calls (either via popen or via system).
I believe these are checking the value of MAXMEM
(in param.h) and spitting the dummy even though there is actually enough
DRAM available.
So -
How can I get around this? Do I need to tweak the assembly for the offending
library routines? Is there another way? What should I look for in the
assembly code?
I hope this is an appropriate place to post this - don't know much
netiquette, but would be grateful for any illumination anyone might provide.

                                        Thanks for listening,
                                        Paul Fisher.

Sat, 24 Oct 1992 05:18:38 GMT
 Failure of popen and system calls ......

Quote:

>My problem is this - how do I stop unix system calls from failing
>due to lack of space when made from a large process....

This is almost certainly a kernel limitation, not something enforced
by the C library.  You need to talk to either your system supplier
or someone who knows what's going on in your particular flavor of
Unix kernel.  It could be a dozen things.

I've redirected followups away from comp.lang.c.
--
If OSI is the answer, what is |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology

Mon, 26 Oct 1992 01:13:27 GMT

1. Using popen() to read error statements from system() call

2. Inexplicable System call failure - HELP - expert needed

3. Inexplicable system call failure! HELP-Expert Needed

4. system() vs. popen()

5. Error control with system calls (popen, system,...) with portability

6. popen() call in ATL server component

7. directing unix system call "system"s output

8. "system()" system call

9. HELP:perform system call or call an external program

10. stdout from a system() call back into calling program

11. function call vs system call

12. PRB: ODBC API Calls crash SQL Server on Failure