Survey on using C as intro CS langa
Author Message
 Survey on using C as intro CS langa

Quote:
>My university introduced C to their new students in January. It was a big
>success. The faculty felt that these students "produced better code" and
>"better understood programming in general" compared to previous students who
>started with Pascal. They don't understand why the "C" students did so much
>better than the Pascal ones.

>Do any of you have any ideas?

>-- Chris

        Could it be possible that only those people with half a clue about
computers took the C course, while anyone took the Pascal course, because
they thought it would be easier?  Thus, you have the better students in the
C class, producing better code.  (This occurs in the Advanced Placement
exams in school, most of the time.  The more complex exam has a higher
percentage of successful students than the easier version.  This is probably
because only the really good students take the complex version.)

        Of course, it could also mean that C is just an unbelievably superb
language!  :-)

Tim
--
Tim Norman                       The answer is 42.

"I'm so crazy that I'm pretending I'm sane."  - me

Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:02:32 GMT

1. Survey on using C as intro CS langauge (?)

3. C-oriented text for intro CS II

4. Programming Language for Undergrad Intro CS Course?

5. SURVEY of CS depts. (languages)

6. Compile CS source code using ICodeCompiler

7. Two CS files (using namespaces)

8. How to show/call Form2.cs from Form1.cs ?

9. Include code in other Cs files

11. word - automatic numbering/bold/underline/italics

12. How to Generate .cs file at Runtime