what is malloc_y ?
Author Message
 what is malloc_y ?

Hi all !

I'd want to know what is/do the malloc_y function.
I am working on AIX 4.3. My program seems to stay infinitely in a call
to malloc_y() (called by malloc()), so I suppose I do some evil things
with the memory.

I don't know if I am asking in the good group.
Thanks.

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:50:29 GMT
 what is malloc_y ?

Quote:
> Hi all !
> I'd want to know what is/do the malloc_y function.
> I am working on AIX 4.3. My program seems to stay infinitely in a call
> to malloc_y() (called by malloc()), so I suppose I do some evil things
> with the memory.
> I don't know if I am asking in the good group.
> Thanks.

The function malloc_y is not an ISO C standard function. As such,
unless you wrote it yourself, only the implementor of your own C
compiler or external library can tell you what it does.

"It sure is cool having money and chicks."
   - Beavis and Butt-head

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:53:51 GMT
 what is malloc_y ?

Quote:
> Hi all !

> I'd want to know what is/do the malloc_y function.
> I am working on AIX 4.3. My program seems to stay infinitely in a call
> to malloc_y() (called by malloc()), so I suppose I do some evil things
> with the memory.

> I don't know if I am asking in the good group.

It appears to be the wrong group. You should take your question
to a newsgroup related to your system, as malloc_y appears
to be provided by your system as an extension or is meant to be
for internal (implementing malloc) usage only.
--

"LISP  is worth learning for  the profound enlightenment  experience
a better programmer for the rest of your days."   -- Eric S. Raymond

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:56:51 GMT
 what is malloc_y ?

Quote:
> Hi all !

> I'd want to know what is/do the malloc_y function.
> I am working on AIX 4.3. My program seems to stay infinitely in a call
> to malloc_y() (called by malloc()), so I suppose I do some evil things
> with the memory.

> I don't know if I am asking in the good group.

I suspect it's probably part of your standard library's
implementation of 'malloc()'.  The language standard
only dictates the syntax and behavior of 'malloc()',
not how it's implemented.  But trying to track down
the reason for failure of such an 'internal' is probably
not what you need to do.

As you suppose, you're probably doing something wrong.
Try to create a small example program that exhibits this
behavior.  Using only standard code (e.g. 'malloc()')
of course.  Post it here, and we'll take a look.

E.g. When I do something 'wrong' with the C++ standard library,
often the trouble is manifested by compiler diagnostics pointing
somwhere deep inside the library.  I just back up the 'call chain'
to where I call the library function, and start analyzing there.
(Do I hear 'incremental development'? :-))

-Mike

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:30:29 GMT
 what is malloc_y ?

Quote:

> > Hi all !

> > I'd want to know what is/do the malloc_y function.
> > I am working on AIX 4.3. My program seems to stay infinitely in a call
> > to malloc_y() (called by malloc()), so I suppose I do some evil things
> > with the memory.

> > I don't know if I am asking in the good group.

> I suspect it's probably part of your standard library's
> implementation of 'malloc()'.  The language standard
> only dictates the syntax and behavior of 'malloc()',
> not how it's implemented.  But trying to track down
> the reason for failure of such an 'internal' is probably
> not what you need to do.

> As you suppose, you're probably doing something wrong.
> Try to create a small example program that exhibits this
> behavior.  Using only standard code (e.g. 'malloc()')
> of course.  Post it here, and we'll take a look.

> E.g. When I do something 'wrong' with the C++ standard library,
> often the trouble is manifested by compiler diagnostics pointing
> somwhere deep inside the library.  I just back up the 'call chain'
> to where I call the library function, and start analyzing there.
> (Do I hear 'incremental development'? :-))

> -Mike

Thanks for your answers !
I will repost my question in comp.unix.aix.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:25:42 GMT

1. I am new to programming and am lost

2. how good am I? Am I Good Enough????

3. Determine where I am running

4. System.Threading.Timer , am I doing this correctly ?

5. Am i connected?

6. Request - Opinions on Book I am considering:

7. I am puzzled: __nogc new = LNK2001

8. Am I in the wrong NG???

9. I am a convert to .NET

10. Am i being studpid, Forms question

11. I am a newbies on C

12. Why am I getting an ExecutionEngineException?