clearing the screen?
Author Message
 clearing the screen?

Is there a way of clearing the screen at a given point in a C program?

--
-----------
Nick

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 03:43:19 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:

> Is there a way of clearing the screen at a given point in a C program?

Read FAQ 19.4.
--
"The lusers I know are so clueless, that if they were dipped in clue
 musk and dropped in the middle of pack of horny clues, on clue prom

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 03:47:27 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:
> Is there a way of clearing the screen at a given point in a C program?

The timestamps my news server gives these messages indicate that you
posted this question about 14 minutes *after* Ben Pfaff answered the
exact same question in another thread. Wasn't his answer good enough
for you?

"And according to Occam's Toothbrush, we only need to optimise the most frequent
instructions."
   - Teemu Kerola

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 03:54:13 GMT
 clearing the screen?
I asked it in another thread as well.  I hadn't refreashed my OE newsgroup
before posting this one.

No his answer wasn't good enough.  What FAQ?

--
-----------
Nick

Quote:

> > Is there a way of clearing the screen at a given point in a C program?

> The timestamps my news server gives these messages indicate that you
> posted this question about 14 minutes *after* Ben Pfaff answered the
> exact same question in another thread. Wasn't his answer good enough
> for you?

> --

> | Kingpriest of "The Flying Lemon Tree" G++ FR FW+ M- #108 D+ ADA N+++|
> | http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste       W++ B OP+                     |
> \----------------------------------------- Finland rules! ------------/
> "And according to Occam's Toothbrush, we only need to optimise the most
frequent
> instructions."
>    - Teemu Kerola

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:38:23 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:

> No his answer wasn't good enough.  What FAQ?

See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q19.4.html>.

similar.

Regards,
Kieran

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 04:55:15 GMT
 clearing the screen?
On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:38:23 +0000 (UTC), in comp.lang.c , "Nick"

Quote:

>I asked it in another thread as well.  I hadn't refreashed my OE newsgroup
>before posting this one.

>No his answer wasn't good enough.  What FAQ?

The one you should have read before posting here, since you're
presumably a good citizen who does some research and lurks a bit
before posting. About 75% of the regulars here have a link to the FAQ
in their sig block.

--
Mark McIntyre

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 07:55:43 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

--
C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
 "The C-FAQ Book" ISBN 0-201-84519-9

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 07:41:08 GMT
 clearing the screen?
{ int i; for (i = 0; i < 25; i++) printf("\n"); }
Quote:

> I asked it in another thread as well.  I hadn't refreashed my OE newsgroup
> before posting this one.

> No his answer wasn't good enough.  What FAQ?

> --
> -----------
> Nick
> make mine a trebble ;o)
> -----------

> > > Is there a way of clearing the screen at a given point in a C program?

> > The timestamps my news server gives these messages indicate that you
> > posted this question about 14 minutes *after* Ben Pfaff answered the
> > exact same question in another thread. Wasn't his answer good enough
> > for you?

> > --

> > | Kingpriest of "The Flying Lemon Tree" G++ FR FW+ M- #108 D+ ADA N+++|
> > | http://www.helsinki.fi/~palaste       W++ B OP+                     |
> > \----------------------------------------- Finland rules! ------------/
> > "And according to Occam's Toothbrush, we only need to optimise the most
> frequent
> > instructions."
> >    - Teemu Kerola

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 09:10:21 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:

> > Is there a way of clearing the screen at a given point in a C
> > program?

> The timestamps my news server gives these messages indicate that
> you posted this question about 14 minutes *after* Ben Pfaff
> answered the exact same question in another thread. Wasn't his
> answer good enough for you?

This is not a valid criticism.  What the OP sees is highly
dependant on how his system and his newfeed work.  For example,
since I operate offline, the latest thing I could have seen before
writing this is something dated on or before the last time I
synchronized.  That might well be days ago.

OTOH, muttering under your breath about failure to read the FAQ
would be valid.

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:39:21 GMT
 clearing the screen?
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:39:21 GMT

Quote:

> > > Is there a way of clearing the screen at a given point in a C
> > > program?

> > The timestamps my news server gives these messages indicate that
> > you posted this question about 14 minutes *after* Ben Pfaff
> > answered the exact same question in another thread. Wasn't his
> > answer good enough for you?

> This is not a valid criticism.  What the OP sees is highly
> dependant on how his system and his newfeed work.  For example,
> since I operate offline, the latest thing I could have seen before
> writing this is something dated on or before the last time I
> synchronized.  That might well be days ago.

> OTOH, muttering under your breath about failure to read the FAQ
> would be valid.

i agree with you about the newsfeed, but wait until you see the part
about "no, his answer wasn't good enough. what faq?".

                        donLouis

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 12:05:53 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:
> { int i; for (i = 0; i < 25; i++) printf("\n"); }

Don't top-post, please.
Is this a joke? Why are you blindly assuming the screen is exactly 25
lines high? What if the screen is a teletype?

"Parthenogenetic procreation in humans will result in the founding of a new
religion."
   - John Nordberg

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:30:12 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:

> > { int i; for (i = 0; i < 25; i++) printf("\n"); }

> Is this a joke? Why are you blindly assuming the screen is exactly 25
> lines high?

Here is a solution that will take care of a screen of any size:
        for (;;)
                putchar ('\n');

Quote:
> What if the screen is a teletype?

Then his solution is better :-)
--
Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:37:50 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:
> I asked it in another thread as well.  I hadn't refreashed my OE newsgroup
> before posting this one.

> No his answer wasn't good enough.  What FAQ?

The comp.lang.c FAQ, of course. What other FAQ would we refer to without
qualification?

It's polite, although alas not usual, to read a group's FAQ before posting
questions to it. It's just possible that your question is FA ... In any
case, the-here FAQ is stuffed to the summit with useful knowledge about C.

--
Chris "please don't clear the screen [retires immediately]" Dollin
C welcome: http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:50:06 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:

>>{ int i; for (i = 0; i < 25; i++) printf("\n"); }

> Don't top-post, please.
> Is this a joke? Why are you blindly assuming the screen is exactly 25
> lines high? What if the screen is a teletype?

Everyone knows the correct function is named Windex().  On some systems,
there is a macro defined to call Windex() called CLEAN_WINDOWS().  Systems
that don't do windows must suffer with dirty screens, unless they have the
non-standard CLEAN_SCREEN() macro.

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:25:39 GMT
 clearing the screen?

Quote:
Ben Pfaff writes:

> > > { int i; for (i = 0; i < 25; i++) printf("\n"); }

> > Is this a joke? Why are you blindly assuming the screen is exactly 25
> > lines high?

> Here is a solution that will take care of a screen of any size:
>         for (;;)
>                 putchar ('\n');

I thought you were above that kind of thing.

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:38:40 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. clearing the screen