Borlands c/c++ compiler help!!
Author Message
 Borlands c/c++ compiler help!!

Im writing a simple-intermediate application in C I have got a compiler
from Borlands which claims to be both for C and C++ .it installs as C++ 3.1
but compiles my C code satisfactorily except for 2 errors:

1. "Group Overflowed Maximum size:DGROUP"
2. "Call to function xyz with no prototype"

I have delcared all functions as either void or with their return type
so I cant quite understand Error 2 . Error 1 is a mystery.

can anyone help!???

Sat, 27 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Borlands c/c++ compiler help!!

Quote:

>Im writing a simple-intermediate application in C I have got a compiler
>from Borlands which claims to be both for C and C++ .it installs as C++ 3.1
>but compiles my C code satisfactorily except for 2 errors:
>1. "Group Overflowed Maximum size:DGROUP"
>2. "Call to function xyz with no prototype"
>I have delcared all functions as either void or with their return type
>so I cant quite understand Error 2 . Error 1 is a mystery.
>can anyone help!???

The DGROUP (which is the default data segment) can only be 64K.  You
have more data in your program than can be handled in one 64K segment.
There are several things you can do to alleviate this:

1) There is a switch to the compiler to put all constant strings in
the code segment

2) You can set the far-data threshold to a lower value. This will
force data structures over the specified size into a far data segment
(out of the default data segment)

3) You can explicitly declare some arrays and structures to be far,
which will force them into their own data segment.

As for error 2, the compiler wants to see a prototype of a function
before you call it.  For example, in one source file, you may have:

  int someFunction(void);  // this is prototype for someFunction
  int main(int argc, char **argv)
  {
    int result = someFunction();
  }

Then, someFunction may be defined later in the same file, or in a
separate source file.

Hope this helps..

Earl Bennett

Mon, 29 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Borlands c/c++ compiler help!!

Quote:

>>Im writing a simple-intermediate application in C I have got a compiler
>>from Borlands which claims to be both for C and C++ .it installs as C++ 3.1
>>but compiles my C code satisfactorily except for 2 errors:

>>1. "Group Overflowed Maximum size:DGROUP"
>>2. "Call to function xyz with no prototype"

>>I have delcared all functions as either void or with their return type
>>so I cant quite understand Error 2 . Error 1 is a mystery.

>>can anyone help!???

>Error  #1 sounds like you've declared too much static data.  The selected
>memory model, found under: "Options,Project,16 Bit Compiler,MemoryModel"
>determines the maximum allowed (either 64K or 1MB).  If you've selected Tiny,
>Small or Medium, try using Compact, Large or Huge which will give you the 1MB
>maximum.   Otherwise, declare any unitialized static data as far instead of
the
>default near.  Alternatively, dynamically allocate any very large arrays with
>functions such as malloc or GlobalAlloc.

<snip>

The dos programmer faq (Frequently Asked Question) list has a good explanation
of this error and its solutions (Q2.01).  It is available by anonymous ftp
from rtfm.mit.edu /pub/usenet/comp.os.msdos.programmer.

--
John R Buchan           -:|:-     Looking for that elusive FAQ?  ftp to:

Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Borlands c/c++ compiler help!!

Quote:

>Im writing a simple-intermediate application in C I have got a compiler
>from Borlands which claims to be both for C and C++ .it installs as C++ 3.1
>but compiles my C code satisfactorily except for 2 errors:
>1. "Group Overflowed Maximum size:DGROUP"
>2. "Call to function xyz with no prototype"
>I have delcared all functions as either void or with their return type
>so I cant quite understand Error 2 . Error 1 is a mystery.
>can anyone help!???

Error  #1 sounds like you've declared too much static data.  The selected
memory model, found under: "Options,Project,16 Bit Compiler,MemoryModel"
determines the maximum allowed (either 64K or 1MB).  If you've selected Tiny,
Small or Medium, try using Compact, Large or Huge which will give you the 1MB
maximum.   Otherwise, declare any unitialized static data as far instead of the
default near.  Alternatively, dynamically allocate any very large arrays with
functions such as malloc or GlobalAlloc.

As for Error #2, sounds like you may have used a declaration such as:
void xyz();
Omiting the calling parameters, even if void, will produce that warning.  Try
instead declaring the function with its paramters, including void, such as:
void xyz(void);

Good luck.

Tue, 30 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP: USING MS DLLs IN BORLANDS C++ BUILDER

2. Borlands C/C++ v4.01

3. C++ code : Visual C++ and Borland C++ compilers

4. C++ code : Visual C++ and Borland C++ compilers

5. Borland 4.0 C++ Compiler Error, Help

6. Help writing an ASM compiler in C++

7. HELP!! C and C++ compilers

8. HELP: Search C/C++ compiler for Intel 8051 processor

9. Help in finding C++ compiler

10. HELP: Looking for C++ compiler

11. Visual C++ 3.0 Compiler Help

12. Why Pascal/Java compilers are faster than C and C++ compilers