Best book(s) for learning C, C++?
Author Message
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...

I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many, I was
wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what your
favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, opionions on a method of study would be nice, i.e. start with C or
C++?  I have heard a couple of cases either way, but each one blasts the
other's recommendations...I know the answer can never be definative, but
essentially I have the following opions to decide between--

        1. Learning C++ gives you essentials of C along the way without having to
           learn one completely and then the other completely.

        2. Starting with C gives a better foundation for C++, which is totally
           different from C and cannot give essentials of C "along the way'.

Your comments on the above would also be appreciated...these were derived
from the couple of comments I have received thus far.

Thanks a lot!

Interport               | http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mdreyfus [WWW]

PGP Public Key available by request or from key-server

Wed, 26 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

Quote:

>I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
>as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...

>I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many, I was
>wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what your
>favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.

        I was/am looking for a good C++ book ,and I found that all the
books I had seen were aimed at readers who already knew C and OOP(
Object Oriented Programming).The closest I came to finding a C++ book
for beginners was a shareware tutorial that's on hobbes.The file is
called `cpptut.zip' and I got it from the `dev32' directory.It has lots
of source code and the material is well explained.The author assumes you
know nothing about OOP, but it would be easier if you knew a bit of C.You
do need to the basics of programming such as data structures, etc.....

Wed, 26 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

Quote:

>I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
>as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...

>I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many, I was
>wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what your
>favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.

Try "C++ How to Program" by Dietel & Dietel.  It offers a comprehensive
approach to learning both C and C++.

Mike Laris

Thu, 27 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

Quote:

>>I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
>>as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...

>>I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many, I was
>>wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what your
>>favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend that you go back to basic sources.

First, read "The C Programming Language (second edition)" by Kernighan and Ritchie.  (This is wat K&R means)

Second, read "C, A Reference Manual (second edition)" by Harbison and Steele.

These will give you a good command of C.

Third, read "The C++ Programming Language (second edition)" by Stroustrup.

These are all well written and are acknowledged classics.  The edition numbers are important.

There are lots of other subjects (e.g., class libraries fro GUI programming) but at first, learn the basic lingo.

Tom Spence, Hyde Park NY

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?
: I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.

If you want to learn the C language on your own (that means not using
C to do any assignment, or using it to do any project related to your
job), I recommend C becuase it will give you a basic concept.

I used "A book on C" when I learned the language.

However if you want to study C because you want to find a better job
(now or in the future), I would urge you to study C++.  Why?  More
and more company now use C++ (maybe Visual C++) instead of just plan
C.

Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C., Canada.

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?
Some of the good books are:

Effective C++: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your  Programs and Design - Scott Meyers
The Annotated C++ Reference Manual - Ellis, Stroustrup
C++ Strategies and Tactics - Murray
C++ Programming Style - Cargill
C++ Primer - Lippman

help
send oop

Also check out:
http://www.libhitech.com/libhitech/

|> I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
|> as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...
|>
|> I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many, I was
|> wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what your
|> favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.
|>
|> Also, opionions on a method of study would be nice, i.e. start with C or
|> C++?  I have heard a couple of cases either way, but each one blasts the
|> other's recommendations...I know the answer can never be definative, but
|> essentially I have the following opions to decide between--
|>
|>   1. Learning C++ gives you essentials of C along the way without having to
|>      learn one completely and then the other completely.
|>
|>   2. Starting with C gives a better foundation for C++, which is totally
|>      different from C and cannot give essentials of C "along the way'.
|>
|> Your comments on the above would also be appreciated...these were derived
|> from the couple of comments I have received thus far.
|>
|> Thanks a lot!
|>

|> ==================================================================

|> Interport         | http://www.interport.net/~mdreyfus [WWW]

|> ==================================================================
|> PGP Public Key available by request or from key-server

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

Quote:

>I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
>as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...

>I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many, I was
>wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what your
>favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.

>Also, opionions on a method of study would be nice, i.e. start with C or
>C++?  I have heard a couple of cases either way, but each one blasts the
>other's recommendations...I know the answer can never be definative, but
>essentially I have the following opions to decide between--

>        1. Learning C++ gives you essentials of C along the way without having to
>           learn one completely and then the other completely.

>        2. Starting with C gives a better foundation for C++, which is totally
>           different from C and cannot give essentials of C "along the way'.

>Your comments on the above would also be appreciated...these were derived
>from the couple of comments I have received thus far.

>Thanks a lot!

>Interport               | http://www.interport.net/~mdreyfus [WWW]

>PGP Public Key available by request or from key-server

Hi there!

I've included Team Symantec C/C++ book list.  I think that you would
be better off wrestling the C++ dragon right off the bat. There is nothing
magical about learning C first (although it would be great to have some C
background).
I don't think that the invested time in learning C first would measure up
to the approach of learning C++ right away.  There are plenty of great
books that will take you up to speed.  The local community college
(LCC) here in Eugene, OR,  introduces C++ as a first time language.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out!

Sincerely,

Andreas Hjelming
Symantec C/C++ Dev.

==

  FAXBACK

 Title:             Recommended Literature On DOS/Windows C/C++ Programming.
 Product:        Symantec C++
 Platform:       IBM PC
 Agent:           Andreas Hjelming
 Original Date: 02/29/95
 Last Update:  05/10/95

 INTRODUCTION
 ============

 This document contains a listing of literature on DOS/Windows C/C++
 programming that is recommended by all Symantec C++ technical support
 engineers.  The list will start with entries recommended for beginners
 and will advance towards entries recommended for more advanced
 programmers.

 LIST
 ====

 DOS C programming
 -----------------

 1.  'The C Programming language'  (Second edition)
      Author: Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie
      Publisher: Prentice Hall
      ISBN: 0-13-110362-8

 DOS C++ programming
 -------------------

 1.  'Object-Oriented Programming In C++'  (Second edition)
      Author: Robert Lafore
      Publisher: Waite Group Press
      ISBN: 1-878739-06-9

 2.  'Thinking in C++'
      Author: Bruce Eckel
      Publisher: Prentice Hall
      ISBN: 0-13-917709-4

 3.  'C++ Primer' (Second edition)
      Author: Stanley B. Lippman
      Publisher: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
      ISBN: 0-201-54848-8

 4.  'Advanced C++ Programming Styles and Idioms'
      Author: James O. Coplien
      Publisher: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
      ISBN: 0-201-54855-0

 C++ specific topics
 -------------------

 1.  'C++ IOStreams Handbook'
      Author: Steve Teale
      Publisher: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
      ISBN: 0-201-59641-5

 2.  'The Draft Standard C++ Library'
      Author: P.J. Plauger
      Publisher: Prentice Hall
      ISBN: 0-13-117003-1

 C++ reference
 -------------

 1.  'C++ FAQs'
      Author: Marshall P. Cline, Greg A. Lomow
      Publisher: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
      ISBN: 0-201-58958-3

 2.  'The C++ Programming Language'  (Second edition)
      Author: Bjarne Stroustrup
      Publisher:  Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
      ISBN: 0-201-53992-6

 3.  'The Annotated C++ Reference Manual'
      Author: Margaret A. Ellis, Bjarne Stroustrup
      Publisher: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
      ISBN: 0-201-51459-1

 Windows (C) (API) programming
 -----------------------------

 1.  'Lafore's Windows Programming Made Easy'
      Author: Robert Lafore
      Publisher: Waite Group Press
      ISBN: 1-878739-23-9

 2.  'Programming Windows 3.1'  (Third edition)
      Author: Charles Petzold
      Publisher: Microsoft Press
      ISBN: 1-55615-395-3

 3.  'Windows API Bible'
      Author: James L. Conger
      Publisher: Waite Group Press
      ISBN: 1-878739-15-8

 Windows C++ (MFC) programming
 -----------------------------

 1.  'Microsoft Foundation Class Primer'
      Author: Jim Conger
      Publisher: Waite Group Press
      ISBN: 1-878739-31-x

 2.  'Writing Windows Applications'
      Author: Bryan Waters
      Publisher: M&T Books
      ISBN: 1-55851-379-5

 3.  'Microsoft Foundation Class Library Programming'
      Author: Steven Holzner
      Publisher: Brady Publishing
      ISBN: 1-56686-102-0

 Windows system (memory management etc.)
 ---------------------------------------

 1.  'Windows Internals'
      Author: Matt Pietrek
      Publisher: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
      ISBN: 0-201-62217-3

<JAH>

Fri, 28 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

> I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
> as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...

> I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many, I was
> wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what your
> favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.

> Also, opionions on a method of study would be nice, i.e. start with C or
> C++?  I have heard a couple of cases either way, but each one blasts the
> other's recommendations...I know the answer can never be definative, but
> essentially I have the following opions to decide between--

>    1. Learning C++ gives you essentials of C along the way without having to
>       learn one completely and then the other completely.

>    2. Starting with C gives a better foundation for C++, which is totally
>       different from C and cannot give essentials of C "along the way'.

> Your comments on the above would also be appreciated...these were derived
> from the couple of comments I have received thus far.

> Thanks a lot!

Stanley Lipman's C++ Primer gets a "C++", almost a "B". The author has the
tendacy to blast you with a bunch of stuff in a very short space and then
spends the next chapter or two picking up the pieces... only to blast you
again!

The book is thorough and fairly easy to read. It covers C vs C++ and how you
could use the C++ to add power to your C programs. Though, once you get the
OOP firmly seated in the brain (and that is really the only hard part)  you will
not want to use standard C.

There is probably something better out there but this is the one I have read. I
can say that I DID learn OOP from it and that says something for it...

When the sun rises in the morning, know that before it sets, someone will
give you the opportunity to be angry, irritated or upset. If you let other
people's behavior decide how you are going to respond, you are a victim.
If, on the other hand, your behavior grows out of your new life -- you
will be free! You will be invincible!

--Landon Saunders
  The Heart of the Fighter

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

: >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: > I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
: > as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...
: >
[...]

Lippman is very good.  As a companion, to keep next to your keyboard,
I'd recommend "The C++ Programmers Handbook" by Paul Lucas.  It's
concise (100 pages) and quite complete.

As a second book after Lippman, I'd recommend "Effective C++" by Scott
Meyers.  Its again concise (200 pages), enjoyable to read, and until
you understand the stuff in this book, you're likely to find run into
a lot of rude surprises in using the object-oriented features of C++.

Tom Payne

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?
The problem with attempting to learn C++, before knowing C, is that many C++ books
assume a working knowledge of C.  I think learning C++ and OOD is the way to go, but
if you are just learning how to program be careful and don't dive in to deep of a
book.

A good book for getting the basics of C++ and OOD is "C++ for Dummies" by Stephen Randy Davis.  Randy goes about it in a easy to understand analogical way.  This book, however, is definitely not for anyone but the beginning C++ programmer.

Stephen
"It is better to be thought a fool,
 than to speak and remove all doubt"

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

Quote:
>: > I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many,
 I was
>: > wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what
your
>: > favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.

My $.02:

I initially learned C from the book "Learn C in 21 days".  It had great
examples and was a good foundation for me when I began programming in C.
I already had plenty of experience in other programming languages though.
 I have learned my C++ via the classroom recently, however, I have not
worked on a C++ project as yet.  I even refer to the "Learn C in 21 days"
book as a reference along with my Kerine-Richie <sp> 2nd Edition which is
the C Bible!  If you can afford the time and the $$$ or get your company
(like I did for C++) to pay, I would recommend the classroom for the
interaction and the dicipline <sp>. Hope this expirence helps, if not
entertains.

An apology about the spelling, I'm not all there today.  Happy
programming!

-

Sun, 30 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

Quote:
n) writes:

:>

:>>I am now beginning to gather info regarding my desire to take up programming
:>>as a hobby (for now), perhaps more down the road...
:>>
:>>I need recommendations for learning C and or C++.  There are so many, I was
:>>wondering if I could get some opinions (and explanations) as to what your
:>>favorites were...any help will be greatly appreciated.
:>>
:>   I was/am looking for a good C++ book ,and I found that all the
:>books I had seen were aimed at readers who already knew C and OOP(
:>Object Oriented Programming).The closest I came to finding a C++ book
:>for beginners was a shareware tutorial that's on hobbes.The file is
:>called `cpptut.zip' and I got it from the `dev32' directory.It has lots
:>of source code and the material is well explained.The author assumes you
:>know nothing about OOP, but it would be easier if you knew a bit of C.You
:>do need to the basics of programming such as data structures, etc.....
:>

Hiya..

Well, i havent been following this thread from the beginning, but i too have
recently decided to teach myself C++..having no prior knowledge of C (Only a
few years of Pascal at Uni about 5 years ago) i began a search for a 'good'
C++ book...After talking with a friend in a similar situation as mine, we
decided upon (and censequently purchased) Herbert Schildt's 'C++ from the
ground up'...It assumes _no_ prior programming experience, so any you may
have will prove a bonus..explains things in a very friendly, easy
manner...almost baby's you at times, which is sometimes needed..  :)

Hope this helps...

Regards,

AndrewZ....

Wed, 03 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?
This topic is covered under the FAQ area.

Thu, 04 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

I can advise the C++ primer

Author: Stanley B. Lippman

Addison Wesley

Fri, 05 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Best book(s) for learning C, C++?

: I can advise the C++ primer

: Author: Stanley B. Lippman

: Addison Wesley

Great book.   And it doesn't baby you either as it has a very easy
beginning and quickly goes into some complicated object oriented topics.
My 2 cents.

Fabio Clavijo.

Fri, 05 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Books: Which ones best for learning C/C++

2. Good books for learning c/c++?

3. Good book for learning C/C++

4. Best books on using VC and learning C++ ?

5. Best book for learning pointers & reference book

7. Looking for good textbook for CS course

8. FS: Programming and CS Books --- CHEAP

9. Good CS Programs

10. Is MS Visual C++ 4 a good compiler to learn C++ (i'm beginner)

11. Need a good learning / reference book