Programming advice needed
Author Message
 Programming advice needed

Every year, I write a "program" for a secondary schools' debating
competition by hand.  It amounts to a list of who debates who, where and
when.  It is not a trivial task, and takes hours of "fiddling", for various
reasons.

Last season, I wrote a series of REXX (AREXX) scripts to automate PART of
the process -- ultimately the "who debates who" part of the program is
just list manipulation.  This saved a substantial amount of time, and
avoided a significant number of errors.

On selling my Commodore Amiga, I lost the ability to run these scripts,
but would *very much* like to find an alternative solution.

1)  Does anyone know of any software (commercial or otherwise) which deals
with this type of process?

2)  What options are there for running REXX scripts under either MS-DOS or
(preferably) FreeBSD?

3)  Given that (at least for the first part) the actual algorithm isn't
terribly complex, what are some simple options for implementing them in a
different language, preferably for free, and preferably running under
FreeBSD (but also given that my ability to program in C is almost
non-existant)?

I am very interested to gather opinions on this before embarking on a
fairly daunting (for me :-) C programming exercise, which seems to be my
only option at the moment.

Mon, 09 Dec 1996 16:56:36 GMT
 Programming advice needed

   1)  Does anyone know of any software (commercial or otherwise) which deals
   with this type of process?

Well, there's both TCL and PERL for doing this kind of stuff, but it's
hard to know which is best for you since we don't know much about your
problem.  If it's a fairly general task, I'm pretty sure you could get
it done in either.  TCLX (eXtended TCL) would be my personal choice.

   2)  What options are there for running REXX scripts under either MS-DOS or
   (preferably) FreeBSD?

You might look on cs.huji.ac.il:~ftp/pub/languages/rexx/alrexx

There's also some sort of REXX on many of the Linux sites - I'm sure
it'd be an easy port.

Good luck..

                                        Jordan
--
Jordan K. Hubbard       FreeBSD core team       Friend to mollusks

Thu, 12 Dec 1996 21:58:17 GMT
 Programming advice needed

[stuff deleted]
:
: 1)  Does anyone know of any software (commercial or otherwise) which deals
: with this type of process?
:
: 2)  What options are there for running REXX scripts under either MS-DOS or
: (preferably) FreeBSD?
:
: 3)  Given that (at least for the first part) the actual algorithm isn't
: terribly complex, what are some simple options for implementing them in a
: different language, preferably for free, and preferably running under
: FreeBSD (but also given that my ability to program in C is almost
: non-existant)?
:
: I am very interested to gather opinions on this before embarking on a
: fairly daunting (for me :-) C programming exercise, which seems to be my
: only option at the moment.

Well I saw a post recommending tcl and just had to put in my $0.02  :-)

Personally, I would recommend Perl since it's a great language and works on
virtually any system you can get a C compiler on.  (I believe there is already
a port to FreeBSD, but I wouldn't know).

Perl has the syntax of C (sorta) but has useful things like regular expression
matching built in.

regards,

-Scott

Thu, 12 Dec 1996 21:35:19 GMT
 Programming advice needed

There is a are at least two REXX interpreters for DOS.  One is free.  There is
more information in the Frequently Asked Questions list, available for FTP at
rtfm.mit.edu.

Paul Prescod

Fri, 13 Dec 1996 14:06:29 GMT
 Programming advice needed

Quote:
>Every year, I write a "program" for a secondary schools' debating
>competition by hand.  It amounts to a list of who debates who, where and
>when.  It is not a trivial task, and takes hours of "fiddling", for various
>reasons.

>Last season, I wrote a series of REXX (AREXX) scripts to automate PART of
>the process -- ultimately the "who debates who" part of the program is
>just list manipulation.  This saved a substantial amount of time, and
>avoided a significant number of errors.

>On selling my Commodore Amiga, I lost the ability to run these scripts,
>but would *very much* like to find an alternative solution.

>1)  Does anyone know of any software (commercial or otherwise) which deals
>with this type of process?

>2)  What options are there for running REXX scripts under either MS-DOS or
>(preferably) FreeBSD?

>3)  Given that (at least for the first part) the actual algorithm isn't
>terribly complex, what are some simple options for implementing them in a
>different language, preferably for free, and preferably running under
>FreeBSD (but also given that my ability to program in C is almost
>non-existant)?

 There is also a public-domain REXX implementation which could
be ported to FreeBSD.. then you might be able to run your REXX
scripts with few changes...

 Here's the info I have on it:

language:       REXX
package:        The Regina Rexx Interpreter
version:        0.05i
parts:          interpreter, documentation, test programs

location:       ftp pub/rexx/regina-0.05g.tar.Z from flipper.pvv.unit.no
    N.America:  ftp pub/freerexx/regina/regina-0.05d.tar.Z
                from rexx.uwaterloo.ca
                set of DCL lexical functions in the interpreter.  Ports to
                MS-DOS and OS/2 exist by lack special support for these
                platforms.
conformance:    Almost completely to Rexx Language Level 4.00 with some
                Rexx SAA API extensions.
restriction:    GNU General Public License
ports:          Unix, VMS, MS-DOS (partial), OS/2 (partial)
discussion:     comp.lang.rexx
updated:        1993/10/15

--
Imagine Whirled Peas.

Mon, 16 Dec 1996 00:50:08 GMT

1. New to programming...advice needed!

2. Internet programming advice needed

3. programming language advice needed

4. Need advice on C program

5. need programming advice

6. Need Help/Advice With This C Program...

7. Program freezes with Sleep() - now i need some advice about a multi-threaded app

8. Advice needed: Alternative make programs

9. Needing advice on Wav programming

10. Need advice for video conferencing

11. TraceSwitch advice needed

12. Collection advice needed...