C programming language
Author Message
 C programming language

Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the book originally by Dennis
Ritchie?
"The C programming language" by Ritchie and Brian Kernighan.

http://www.*-*-*.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:22:57 GMT
 C programming language
Submitted by "Bill Cunningham" to comp.lang.c:

Quote:
> Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the book originally by Dennis
> Ritchie?
> "The C programming language" by Ritchie and Brian Kernighan.

I found mine in my local book shop.  Try Amazon or some other
online bookshop maybe?

Be aware that it no longer constitutes the standard.

--
Andreas K?h?ri
Stable, secure, clean, free:  www.netbsd.org

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:30:48 GMT
 C programming language
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:22:57 -0400, "Bill Cunningham" <some.net> wrote
in comp.lang.c:

Quote:
> Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the book originally by Dennis
> Ritchie?
> "The C programming language" by Ritchie and Brian Kernighan.

The Second Edition of the book is currently in print.  Search for ISBN
0131103628 at your favorite online or brick-and-morter bookstore.

If you are referring to the original edition from 1978, it has been
out of print for a long, long time.  You can try used bookstores.  The
ISBN is 0131101633.  Amazon.com claims to have used copies available.

I won't part with my copy of the first edition even after I'm dead.
My will has explicit instructions to bury it with me.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:33:03 GMT
 C programming language
What is the standard now? ANSI I guess. Any titles?

Quote:
> Submitted by "Bill Cunningham" to comp.lang.c:
> > Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the book originally by
Dennis
> > Ritchie?
> > "The C programming language" by Ritchie and Brian Kernighan.

> I found mine in my local book shop.  Try Amazon or some other
> online bookshop maybe?

> Be aware that it no longer constitutes the standard.

> --
> Andreas K?h?ri

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:52:03 GMT
 C programming language
Submitted by "Bill Cunningham" to comp.lang.c:
[top-post moved down]

Quote:

See http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q11.2.html

--
Andreas K?h?ri
Stable, secure, clean, free:  www.netbsd.org

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:02:35 GMT
 C programming language

Quote:

> If you are referring to the original edition from 1978, it has been
> out of print for a long, long time.  You can try used bookstores.  The
> ISBN is 0131101633.  Amazon.com claims to have used copies available.

I found my copy at a Mountain View, Calif. used bookstore just a
month or so ago, for $15 or so, so they are definitely still
available.

Quote:
> I won't part with my copy of the first edition even after I'm dead.
> My will has explicit instructions to bury it with me.

I hope that's a joke.
--
"I'm not here to convince idiots not to be stupid.
 They won't listen anyway."

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:47:38 GMT
 C programming language
I just talked to Dennis Ritchie. He said the 2nd edition is a paperback and
the 1978 version does seem to be out of print. He said ANSI didn't do much
in 1989 when the standards were changed, they just adopted the ISO
standards. He even says there's a new 1999 standard that has been adopted
and many compilers haven't been written yet to use the new standard. He
suggested that the 2nd edition you spoke of is the most sold and I should
maybe go with that.

Quote:
> Submitted by "Bill Cunningham" to comp.lang.c:
> > Does anyone know where you can get a copy of the book originally by
Dennis
> > Ritchie?
> > "The C programming language" by Ritchie and Brian Kernighan.

> I found mine in my local book shop.  Try Amazon or some other
> online bookshop maybe?

> Be aware that it no longer constitutes the standard.

> --
> Andreas K?h?ri

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:50:45 GMT
 C programming language

Quote:
"Bill Cunningham" <some.net> writes:
> I just talked to Dennis Ritchie. He said the 2nd edition is a paperback and
> the 1978 version does seem to be out of print.

The 1978 edition I have here is also a paperback.

Quote:
> He said ANSI didn't do much
> in 1989 when the standards were changed, they just adopted the ISO
> standards.

ANSI wrote the 1989 standard.  ISO adopted the ANSI standard, not
the other way around.

Are you trolling in some odd fashion?
--
"A lesson for us all: Even in trivia there are traps."
--Eric Sosman

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:56:03 GMT
 C programming language
Here's a copy of Dennis's e-mail to me. Maybe you can understand it better.
The first edition, 1978 (ISBN 0131101633) does seem to
be out of print from the publisher.   New condition
or used editions seem to be readily available on amazon
and presumably other on-line sellers.  It describes the
language before any ANSI standardization.  It's of mainly
historical interest.

The second edition, 1988 (ISBN 013113628 in the
paperback version) is the current edition.   It
describes the language as of the 1989 ANSI and
soon-after ISO standard, and is what is typically sold.

There is a new ISO standard as of 1999.
The ANSI committee basically transferred into the ISO
effort, and although ANSI has accepted the 1999 ISO standard,
they weren't responsible for it.  I don't
think there are yet many general books about it,
but I think some are in the works.  At the moment, complete
compilers for the 1999 standard are not really common,
though again this is being worked on and there are
some that do much of it.

Dennis

Quote:
> "Bill Cunningham" <some.net> writes:

> > I just talked to Dennis Ritchie. He said the 2nd edition is a paperback
and
> > the 1978 version does seem to be out of print.

> The 1978 edition I have here is also a paperback.

> > He said ANSI didn't do much
> > in 1989 when the standards were changed, they just adopted the ISO
> > standards.

> ANSI wrote the 1989 standard.  ISO adopted the ANSI standard, not
> the other way around.

> Are you trolling in some odd fashion?
> --
> "A lesson for us all: Even in trivia there are traps."
> --Eric Sosman

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:04:34 GMT
 C programming language

Quote:
"Bill Cunningham" <some.net> writes:
> Here's a copy of Dennis's e-mail to me. Maybe you can understand it better.

I think you just misinterpreted it.

Quote:
> The first edition, 1978 (ISBN 0131101633) does seem to
> be out of print from the publisher.   New condition
> or used editions seem to be readily available on amazon
> and presumably other on-line sellers.  It describes the
> language before any ANSI standardization.  It's of mainly
> historical interest.

> The second edition, 1988 (ISBN 013113628 in the
> paperback version)

You seem to interpret this to mean that the 1978 edition was not
a paperback.  My copy, at least, is.

Quote:
> is the current edition.   It
> describes the language as of the 1989 ANSI and
> soon-after ISO standard, and is what is typically sold.

See, the ANSI standard came first, like I said.

[...]

Quote:

> > "Bill Cunningham" <some.net> writes:

> > > I just talked to Dennis Ritchie. He said the 2nd edition is a paperback
> and
> > > the 1978 version does seem to be out of print.

> > The 1978 edition I have here is also a paperback.

> > > He said ANSI didn't do much
> > > in 1989 when the standards were changed, they just adopted the ISO
> > > standards.

> > ANSI wrote the 1989 standard.  ISO adopted the ANSI standard, not
> > the other way around.

> > Are you trolling in some odd fashion?

--Brian Kernighan

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:12:16 GMT
 C programming language

Quote:

> I just talked to Dennis Ritchie. He said the 2nd edition is a paperback

I have bought K&R2 three times (not including the "draft approved"
version). The first two were paperback, but I finally treated myself to
a hardback version. It's well worth the money.

<snip>

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:09:03 GMT
 C programming language

Quote:
> Are you trolling in some odd fashion?

Of course he is. Good grief - "I just talked to Dennis Ritchie" who
apparently said "ANSI didn't do much in 1989 when the standards were
changed, they just adopted the ISO standards."

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:12:11 GMT
 C programming language

Quote:

>> I just talked to Dennis Ritchie. He said the 2nd edition is a paperback

> I have bought K&R2 three times (not including the "draft approved"
> version). The first two were paperback, but I finally treated myself to
> a hardback version. It's well worth the money.

> <snip>

And I thought I was bad... I have 2 copies: one in work, one at home. The
home one is starting to get a bit travel worn and I'm thinking about
replacing it.

I wonder if K&R (or K or R) are going to write a 3rd edition for C99? I'm
sure this has been asked innumerable times... anyone have any news?

Ian Woods

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:01:10 GMT
 C programming language

Quote:
>I won't part with my copy of the first edition even after I'm dead.
>My will has explicit instructions to bury it with me.

Isn't this rather selfish?

Or do you expect to remain a c.l.c regular even after death? :-)

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:46:44 GMT
 C programming language

Quote:
>Here's a copy of Dennis's e-mail to me. Maybe you can understand it better.

It clearly shows that you're reading impaired.

Quote:
>The first edition, 1978 (ISBN 0131101633) does seem to
>be out of print from the publisher.   New condition
>or used editions seem to be readily available on amazon
>and presumably other on-line sellers.  It describes the
>language before any ANSI standardization.  It's of mainly
>historical interest.

>The second edition, 1988 (ISBN 013113628 in the
>paperback version) is the current edition.   It
>describes the language as of the 1989 ANSI and
>soon-after ISO standard, and is what is typically sold.

>There is a new ISO standard as of 1999.
>The ANSI committee basically transferred into the ISO
>effort, and although ANSI has accepted the 1999 ISO standard,
>they weren't responsible for it.  I don't
>think there are yet many general books about it,
>but I think some are in the works.  At the moment, complete
>compilers for the 1999 standard are not really common,
>though again this is being worked on and there are
>some that do much of it.

>Dennis

>> "Bill Cunningham" <some.net> writes:

>> > I just talked to Dennis Ritchie. He said the 2nd edition is a paperback

     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you met him on the street or did you pay him a visit? :-)

Quote:
>and
>> > the 1978 version does seem to be out of print.

>> The 1978 edition I have here is also a paperback.

>> > He said ANSI didn't do much
>> > in 1989 when the standards were changed, they just adopted the ISO
        ^^^^
>> > standards.

If you aren't reading impaired, then you need new glasses.  He said this
about the 1999 version, not about the 1989 version.  There is no ISO C
standard dating from 1989 or before: the first ISO C standard was
adopted in 1990 and it didn't change the normative text of the ANSI 1989
standard at all, it merely renumbered the sections.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:02:33 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Programming Language for Undergrad Intro CS Course?

2. C as 2nd CS language (was Re: Languages ...

3. SURVEY of CS depts. (languages)

4. C as First Language for CS

6. Problem #30 on http://cs.nmu.edu/programming/c/problems.htm

7. SoftEng or CS Graduate Program Search

8. FS: Programming and CS Books --- CHEAP

9. 1995 UT IEEE CS National Programming Contest

10. Good CS Programs

11. IEEE CS National Programming Contest [Addendum3]

12. 1993 IEEE CS National Programming Contest Notice