ANSI C vs GNU C
Author Message
 ANSI C vs GNU C

Hello !! This is only the third week I'm in my C programming class.
BTW I'm taking my diploma for Computer Science. I have several
questions which I hope C gurus here can help me with. I have seen
reference made about ANSI C and lately GNU C comes in mind
when Linux is seen. Whats the general difference between these 2.
Are they different standards or something ?

Thank you

--
Kian Yang
ICQ # 608464

The Force. It surrounds us. It enfolds us.
It gets us dates on Saturday Nights.
        - Obi Wan Kenobi, Famous Jedi Knight
          and Party Animal.

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANSI C vs GNU C
Quote:

> Hello !! This is only the third week I'm in my C programming class.
> BTW I'm taking my diploma for Computer Science. I have several
> questions which I hope C gurus here can help me with. I have seen
> reference made about ANSI C and lately GNU C comes in mind
> when Linux is seen. Whats the general difference between these 2.
> Are they different standards or something ?

ANSI C is the standard that defines the syntax of the language and
part of the library.
There are several C-compilers out there, the gnu C compiler (gcc)
among them.
Gcc implements ANSI-C but adds several extensions.
You can check the documentation at
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc_4.html#SEC64
for an explanation of the extensions and
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc_2.html#SEC6
for the option to turn them off.

Greetings!
Volker

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANSI C vs GNU C

Quote:

> Hello !! This is only the third week I'm in my C programming class.
> BTW I'm taking my diploma for Computer Science. I have several
> questions which I hope C gurus here can help me with. I have seen
> reference made about ANSI C and lately GNU C comes in mind
> when Linux is seen. Whats the general difference between these 2.
> Are they different standards or something ?

ANSI C (these days, btw, it's really ISO C, but most people still write
ANSI) is the Standard. It's the only official standard as far as
standard C is concerned. People have come up with extensions (IIRC,
POSIX involves one of such), but they're not the same level of
standardness, so to speak, as the ISO Standard.
Gnu C is a C compiler. It implements, AFAIK, ISO C, _and_ POSIX or most
of it, _and_ rather a lot of Gnu-specific extensions, and the kitchen
sink. And, but this is just MNSHO, they have an irritatingly arrogant
opinion about _real_ standards. But the compiler is pretty good.

Richard

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANSI C vs GNU C

Quote:

>Hello !! This is only the third week I'm in my C programming class.
>BTW I'm taking my diploma for Computer Science. I have several
>questions which I hope C gurus here can help me with. I have seen
>reference made about ANSI C and lately GNU C comes in mind
>when Linux is seen. Whats the general difference between these 2.
>Are they different standards or something ?

This question is not topical to comp.lang.c.  The GNU compiler is sufficiently
well documented that you should be able to get the answer to this question
by reading its GNU info pages.

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ANSI C vs GNU C

Quote:
>Hello !! This is only the third week I'm in my C programming class.
>BTW I'm taking my diploma for Computer Science. I have several
>questions which I hope C gurus here can help me with. I have seen
>reference made about ANSI C and lately GNU C comes in mind
>when Linux is seen. Whats the general difference between these 2.
>Are they different standards or something ?

>Thank you

>--
>Kian Yang
>ICQ # 608464

>The Force. It surrounds us. It enfolds us.
>It gets us dates on Saturday Nights.
>        - Obi Wan Kenobi, Famous Jedi Knight
>          and Party Animal.

Go here, for answers to questions about ANSI C:

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

2. VS.NET: Adding one .cs file to more then one project

3. Adding cs-files from another directory in VS.NET

4. How to show/call Form2.cs from Form1.cs ?

5. Include code in other Cs files

7. word - automatic numbering/bold/underline/italics

8. How to Generate .cs file at Runtime

9. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

10. Serial.cs

11. Compile CS source code using ICodeCompiler

12. Two CS files (using namespaces)