C Beep in Window (Unix)
Author Message
 C Beep in Window (Unix)

Hello all.  Could anyone please tell me how to make a beep sound inside of
a window.  I can do it by printf("%s", "\007); in a Unix terminal, but
can't find anything to do in a graphical window.  I've heard of an
XBeep() command from Xlib, but I can't get that to work.

Thanks,

Branton

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:29:07 GMT
 C Beep in Window (Unix)

Quote:
> Hello all.  Could anyone please tell me how to make a beep sound inside of
> a window.  I can do it by printf("%s", "\007); in a Unix terminal, but
> can't find anything to do in a graphical window.  I've heard of an
> XBeep() command from Xlib, but I can't get that to work.

Graphical windows are implementation-dependent. Please ask in
comp.unix.programmer instead.

"C++. C++ run. Run, ++, run."
   - JIPsoft

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:00:56 GMT
 C Beep in Window (Unix)
Submitted by "Davis, Branton" to comp.lang.c:

Quote:
> Hello all.  Could anyone please tell me how to make a beep sound inside of
> a window.  I can do it by printf("%s", "\007); in a Unix terminal, but
> can't find anything to do in a graphical window.  I've heard of an
> XBeep() command from Xlib, but I can't get that to work.

> Thanks,

> Branton

You will have to open the window to let the beep out.

Seriously, ask in a Unix programming group instead.  Try
comp.unix.programmer, they're usually quite helpful.

--
Andreas K?h?ri
Bioinformatics and Unix System Support, Dunedin, New Zealand

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:04:27 GMT
 C Beep in Window (Unix)

Quote:

> Hello all.  Could anyone please tell me how to make a beep sound inside of
> a window.  I can do it by printf("%s", "\007); in a Unix terminal, but
> can't find anything to do in a graphical window.  I've heard of an
> XBeep() command from Xlib, but I can't get that to work.

The only ISO C way of making a sound is to output the character '\a'.
This may well be exactly the same as '\007' on your system, in which
case I'm afraid ISO C doesn't have a solution to your problem, and you
really will have to ask in a system- or possibly even Xlib-specific
newsgroup, but you can always try to putchar('\a'); first.

Richard

Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:05:20 GMT

1. how to create beep beep, ..., beep,beep sound.

3. To beep or not to beep.

4. beep in OnKeyDown() of child window

5. Beep function for Windows 95 ??????

6. Main menu accelerators cause beep when CFormView derived window is active

7. Resize Window on Page_Load Event (aspx.cs)

8. Simple Window Beep

9. C function problems during porting from UNIX to Windows

10. Calling Windows COM object from C on Unix?

11. serial-io with Windows and UNIX?

12. Unix/Windows Developer and Tester for hire!