Controlling length of ASCII bell sound output
Author Message
 Controlling length of ASCII bell sound output

hi,

is there any way, from C, to control the length of the ASCII bell sound
output. Can I reference a control variable or something like that?? Also,
is it safe to do a spawn overlay in MSDOS?? Thanx in advance!!

dyer

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling length of ASCII bell sound output

Quote:

>hi,
>is there any way, from C, to control the length of the ASCII bell sound
>output.

The bell could well be a round metal item in a TTY that is hit
by a small hammer like device to produce a ringing sound. How
do you control the lenght of that sound?

Quote:
>Can I reference a control variable or something like that??

No, at least not portably.

Quote:
>Also,
>is it safe to do a spawn overlay in MSDOS?? Thanx in advance!!

You might want to ask this question in an MS-DOS programming
oriented newsgroup.

Kurt

--
| Kurt Watzka                             Phone : +49-89-2180-6254

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling length of ASCII bell sound output

Quote:

>hi,

>is there any way, from C, to control the length of the ASCII bell sound
>output.

C doesn't even require that there be a "bell sound". If what you want
to do is possible you'll have to do it using some sort of extension
provided by your platform.

Quote:
>Can I reference a control variable or something like that?? Also,
>is it safe to do a spawn overlay in MSDOS?? Thanx in advance!!

Both of these questions are best asked in comp.os.msdos.programmer.

Thu, 18 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling length of ASCII bell sound output

Quote:

>>is there any way, from C, to control the length of the ASCII bell sound
>>output.

>The bell could well be a round metal item in a TTY that is hit
>by a small hammer like device to produce a ringing sound. How
>do you control the lenght of that sound?

Furthermore, ASCII BEL need not produce any sound at all.  It can have
a purely visual effect, like flashing the terminal's screen.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
CERN, IT Division

Mail:  CERN - PPE, Bat. 31 1-014, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Controlling length of ASCII bell sound output

Quote:

> hi,

> is there any way, from C, to control the length of the ASCII bell sound
> output. Can I reference a control variable or something like that??

Hi "Dyer",

If there is a bell sound on *your* terminal type, you can controll it's
length by doing multiple "bell" sound directly after another.

Quote:
> Also, is it safe to do a spawn overlay in MSDOS??

Umm, standard C does not know what an overlay is. This is a very
compiler specific feature. You'd best ask this in a newsgroup of
experts MS-DOS programmers, like:

Stephan
(self appointed member of the campaign against grumpiness in c.l.c)

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Bell sound when ENTER is pressed in an EDIT control child of an ATL control

2. Bell sound

3. Sounding bell in non-console application

4. Sounding Bell?

5. Max line length in ASCII text files ?

6. SOUNDS!SOUNDS!SOUNDS!!!!!

7. Q: pre-determining length of sprintf output?

8. Sound Blaster Output

9. How do I test for sound output?

10. Variable Length Record Output

11. Q:How to output specific wave through sound card

12. colorizing ascii and ansi output