Borland C++ 4.02 (Good News and Bad News)
Author Message
 Borland C++ 4.02 (Good News and Bad News)

Hello:

I do not read this group very often, so if this information was supplied by
others already, kindly disregard this update.

According to the sales people from Borland, Borland C++ 4.0 has been updated
to version 4.02. This I found out, when I ordered the Borland C++ Power Pack,
which requires Borland C++ 4.02. I hope that this update will take care of
some of the common linker errors and other errors from version 4.0, which have
haunted many of us. It could off course also be just an update for exclusively
become able to use the Power Pack features. Since I ordered the Power Pack,
the update is free. I do not know if they will charge anything if you do not
order the Power Pack.

Unfortunately version 4.02 is on back order. The sales rep did not know when
it will become available for shipment.

I hope that this update will take care of some of the bugs in 4.0. I have
programs which ran fine with 3.1, but will not work with 4.0. It could be off
course that I simply do not know how to set all the options correctly.
Something deep inside me is convinced however that 4.0 has bugs, which need to
be taken care of by the guys at Borland.

Kouros

Fri, 03 Jan 1997 07:22:27 GMT
 Borland C++ 4.02 (Good News and Bad News)

Quote:

> Hello:
> I do not read this group very often, so if this information was supplied by
> others already, kindly disregard this update.
> According to the sales people from Borland, Borland C++ 4.0 has been updated
> to version 4.02. This I found out, when I ordered the Borland C++ Power Pack,
> which requires Borland C++ 4.02. I hope that this update will take care of
> some of the common linker errors and other errors from version 4.0, which have
> haunted many of us. It could off course also be just an update for exclusively
> become able to use the Power Pack features. Since I ordered the Power Pack,
> the update is free. I do not know if they will charge anything if you do not
> order the Power Pack.
> Unfortunately version 4.02 is on back order. The sales rep did not know when
> it will become available for shipment.
> I hope that this update will take care of some of the bugs in 4.0. I have
> programs which ran fine with 3.1, but will not work with 4.0. It could be off
> course that I simply do not know how to set all the options correctly.
> Something deep inside me is convinced however that 4.0 has bugs, which need to
> be taken care of by the guys at Borland.

Many of the bugs from 4.00 are still in 4.02.  But it's more than just for
use with the PowerPack.  One extremely serious bug has been fixed.

A DLL written with 4.00 could not be safely used by programs written in any
other language.  4.02 adds a compile time option to allow one to write
compatible DLLs.

--
Mike Rubenstein

Wed, 08 Jan 1997 07:57:53 GMT
 Borland C++ 4.02 (Good News and Bad News)

writes:

Quote:
>... Borland C++ 4.0 has been updated to version 4.02.  ...
> This I found out, when I ordered the Borland C++ Power Pack,
> which requires Borland C++ 4.02. I hope that this update will take
> care of some of the common linker errors and other errors from
> version 4.0, which have haunted many of us. ....

I waited to order C++ 4.0 from the Programmer's Shop, until they
received the latest shipment from Borland (I presume).  This came on
Friday, but oops! it was still version 4.00.  Calling Borland, guy said
I certainly should wait for the new 4.02 disk (which he was having sent
right out, no charge).  Said he was a bit chagrined to admit there
were over 1300 (is that right?) bug fixes in 4.02, but also said it was
real solid, and MUCH FASTER than 4.00 as well.

When I commented that it sounded more like a version 4.1, etc, he said
the functionality was unchanged from 4.00, hence the small version
increment.

I also got the Power Pack ($99) and am very impressed by the ease of
creating 32-bit apps for DOS or Win 3.1 or Win 32s or WinNT or
whatever!  Program on platform a, for platform b!

Plus selectable Pentium optimization too!  Much better than Visual C
1.5 don't you think?

Fri, 10 Jan 1997 21:29:27 GMT

1. Reply news is listed as separate message in my news reader

2. Borland C++ 4.02

3. HELP with Borland C++ 4.02

4. windows 95 installation for Borland C++ 4.02

5. Borland C/C++ 4.02 Executable size [possible repost]

6. Borland C++ 4.02 or 4.5?

7. Borland C++ 4.02 pointer problem.

8. Borland C++ 4.02

9. Borland C++ 4.02

10. Borland C++ 4.02 Win32s Intallation Problems

11. Recursive Definitions: Trouble or Bad news?

12. Good news servers