what is difference between ANSI C and Turbo C?
Author Message
 what is difference between ANSI C and Turbo C?

Dear friends,
     Now I'm using only Turbo C compiler. But i don't know anything
about ANSI C. So I would like to know, what is difference between ANSI
C and Turbo C? Please reply me, if anybody knows. Thank you.

Yours,
Manikandan Subburaj.

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:38:17 GMT
 what is difference between ANSI C and Turbo C?

Quote:
> Dear friends,
>      Now I'm using only Turbo C compiler. But i don't know anything
> about ANSI C. So I would like to know, what is difference between ANSI
> C and Turbo C? Please reply me, if anybody knows. Thank you.

ANSI C is a specification, Turbo C is an implementation.

"The question of copying music from the Internet is like a two-barreled sword."
   - Finnish rap artist Ezkimo

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:39:38 GMT
 what is difference between ANSI C and Turbo C?

Quote:

> > Now I'm using only Turbo C compiler. But i don't know anything
> > about ANSI C. So I would like to know, what is difference between
> > ANSI C and Turbo C? Please reply me, if anybody knows. Thank you.

> ANSI C is a specification, Turbo C is an implementation.

Which may or may not meet the specification.  Later versions tend
to have better standards compliance.

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:44:24 GMT

Manikandan Subburaj writes:
>     Now I'm using only Turbo C compiler. But i don't know anything
>about ANSI C. So I would like to know, what is difference between ANSI
>C and Turbo C? Please reply me, if anybody knows. Thank you.

ANSI is the American National Standards Institute.  Turbo is a meaningless word
used as a part of product names by Borland Corporation for several years.  They
have stopped this but the malady lingers on. Witness Microsofts over use of
"Visual" and "Explorer", the more meaningless and confusing it is the more they
seem to like it.

Turbo C++ for Windows, version 3.1, has very good compliance with ANSI C if all
the buttons in the IDE are set right. I would expect equally good compliance
from any other Turbo compiler of at least level 3.0.  For older levels I have
no clue.

It occurs to me that there may be a test suite of source code that tests
standards compliance if you are really interested in that sort of thing.

I am not.

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:52:08 GMT
 what is difference between ANSI C and Turbo C?

Quote:
>It occurs to me that there may be a test suite of source code that tests
>standards compliance if you are really interested in that sort of thing.

Such a thing is quite useful for implementors but non-conclusive for the
end users: if the compiler passes the tests you still have no guarantee
that your code will be correctly translated and executed.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:40:24 GMT
 what is difference between ANSI C and Turbo C?

Quote:

>> > Now I'm using only Turbo C compiler. But i don't know anything
>> > about ANSI C. So I would like to know, what is difference between
>> > ANSI C and Turbo C? Please reply me, if anybody knows. Thank you.

>> ANSI C is a specification, Turbo C is an implementation.

>Which may or may not meet the specification.  Later versions tend
>to have better standards compliance.

For the simple reason that the earliest ones predate the ANSI C standard
(they implemented the last public draft available).

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:12:11 GMT
 what is difference between ANSI C and Turbo C?

The spec has many candidate choice for many aspect.

Quote:

> >> ANSI C is a specification, Turbo C is an implementation.

> >Which may or may not meet the specification.  Later versions tend
> >to have better standards compliance.

> For the simple reason that the earliest ones predate the ANSI C standard
> (they implemented the last public draft available).

> Dan
> --
> Dan Pop
> DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 20:16:44 GMT

2. How to show/call Form2.cs from Form1.cs ?

3. Include code in other Cs files

5. word - automatic numbering/bold/underline/italics

6. How to Generate .cs file at Runtime

7. newbe/cs student, need help w/ code

8. Serial.cs

9. Compile CS source code using ICodeCompiler

10. Two CS files (using namespaces)

11. My .cs files were deleted!?

12. Unable to install Duwamish 7 CS