LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"
Author Message
 LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

[apologies for multiple copies]

we welcome applicants from the "c" news group.

**************** LAST CALL ***************
********* CLOSING DATE FRIDAY NOV 6 ******
******* SEND IN YOUR APPLICATION NOW *****

     OXFORD UNIVERSITY COMPUTING LABORATORY
         IN COLLABORATION WITH MICROSOFT

               RESEARCH OFFICER

        INTENTIONAL PROGRAMMING PROJECT

Oxford University Computing Laboratory has recently started
a three-year research project in collaboration with
Microsoft Research Laboratories.  The goal is to develop a
new kind of environment for transformational programming
that permits software to be composed from a set of
independent design decisions or "intentions", using
domain-specific notations and optimization strategies. The
specific aim of the Oxford component of the work is to
design a meta-language for the environment, within which
domain-specific abstractions can be described, implemented
and reused.

We now have a vacancy for an additional research officer to
join the project with immediate effect, for an initial
period of one year, but with the expectation of an
extension to cover the three-year life of the project,
depending on continuation of the research contract.

The research officer will work at Oxford University
Computing Laboratory, together with three research students
and three academics, namely Oege de Moor, Michael Spivey and
Bernard Sufrin. The research officer's specific tasks will
include:

(a) identifying suitable features of current meta languages
in compiler construction and automated theorem proving.

(b) designing and building a prototype implementation of a
suitable meta language.

(c) experimenting with the use of that meta language in
case studies.

The successful candidate will

* have demonstrated research ability in a Computing-related
discipline,

* have experience of programming language design and
implementation, transformational programming, or automated
theorem proving,

* actively enjoy the challenge of collaborating with
engineers working in industry.

Familiarity with formal methods of program construction
will be an advantage.

Salary will be on the age and experience related RS1A grade
(currently 15,735 to 23,651 p.a.).  Applications should
clearly state the post title and be in the form of a full
curriculum vitae plus application letter, together with the
names of two referees. Further details and selection
criteria are available from
http://www.*-*-*.com/
or on request to The Administrator of the Computing Laboratory.

The completed application should be sent to arrive before
the closing date of Friday 6th November 1998 and be
addressed to: The Administrator, Oxford University
Computing Laboratory, Wolfson Building, Parks Road, Oxford

University is an Equal Opportunities Employer

Informal email enquiries about the academic aspects of
this project and this post are welcome, and should be
directed to one of the academics:

Oxford University Computing Laboratory is a full academic
department of the University and at present has
twenty-seven academic staff, thirty-five research officers
and approximately sixty doct{*filter*}students, engaged in
teaching and carrying out research in computer science and
numerical analysis.

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

Quote:

> >         INTENTIONAL PROGRAMMING PROJECT

> [snip]

> This begs the question, is there such a thing as "accidental" programming.

Sure.  A.K.A bugs.

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

Quote:

> > >         INTENTIONAL PROGRAMMING PROJECT

> > [snip]

> > This begs the question, is there such a thing as "accidental" programming.

> Sure.  A.K.A bugs.

Windows also comes to mind.

This is getting VERY off topic.  Of course the original post was off
topic as well.  Must have been "accidental" as well.

--
Tom Watson             I'm at work now (Generic short signature)

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

Quote:
>         INTENTIONAL PROGRAMMING PROJECT

 tm> This begs the question, is there such a thing as "accidental"
 tm> programming.

The well-known theorem comes to mind that if you put a 1000 authors
named Herbert Schildt in front of a 1000 typewriters, after waiting for
an infinite amount of time at least one of them will have produced
something remotely resembling a C program :-)

greetings,
Tom

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

Quote:

> > [apologies for multiple copies]

[snip]

Quote:
> >         INTENTIONAL PROGRAMMING PROJECT

> [snip]

> This begs the question, is there such a thing as "accidental" programming.

A cat hopping on the keyboard of a PC running Visual Age?

        AriL
--
Humans may send email (if absolutely necessary) to the
obvious non-spam address.

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 LAST CALL: postdoc "Intentional Programming"

Quote:
> >         INTENTIONAL PROGRAMMING PROJECT

>  tm> This begs the question, is there such a thing as "accidental"
>  tm> programming.

> The well-known theorem comes to mind that if you put a 1000 authors
> named Herbert Schildt in front of a 1000 typewriters, after waiting for
> an infinite amount of time at least one of them will have produced
> something remotely resembling a C program :-)

and if you add some kind of 'natural' selection to that process, I bet that
the infinite amount of time will be dramatically reduced... 'something out
of nothing'... something like windows95... and then you have a lot of
'accidental' programming...

greetings,

--
-----------------------------------
Francisco Melo Ledermann

Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics. The Rockefeller University.
1230 York Avenue, #270, New York, NY 10021-6399.

(1) (212) 327 7206  Work (Voice)
(1) (212) 327 7540  Work (FAX)

www server: http://www.fundp.ac.be/pub/ANOLEA.html
home page: http://guitar.rockefeller.edu/~fmelo/index.html

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. "Last visited" icon

2. Program from "Unix Network Programming"

3. "The C Programming Language" programs

4. about "call by value" and "call by reference"

5. "c" calling Fortran, and Fortran calling "c"

6. remove() vrs fopen("""w")

8. Looking for "Shroud"/"Obfus"

9. ""help with TSR""

10. Parse trees and "("")"