Binary Profiler
Author Message
 Binary Profiler

Hello,

The market is flooded with profilers. But the profilers need source
code. I am looking for BINARY / HIERARCHICAL profilers, that can
rewrite the image in memory and profile sections of the binary code
(obviously in assembly). The profiler should NOT ask for the source
code and should be able to profile the binary image only (case in
point: take a look at Washington.edu's ETCH binary profiler). And yes,
it should work with executables linked with /FIXED:YES [a defult
option in Microsoft linkers - produces no relocations in the binary
image, hence ~some~ profilers CANNOT even open the file!]

Any pointers ?

Rgds.Gunther.

Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:42:36 GMT
 Binary Profiler

Quote:
> Hello,

> The market is flooded with profilers. But the profilers need source
> code. I am looking for BINARY / HIERARCHICAL profilers, that can
> rewrite the image in memory and profile sections of the binary code
> (obviously in assembly). The profiler should NOT ask for the source
> code and should be able to profile the binary image only (case in
> point: take a look at Washington.edu's ETCH binary profiler). And yes,
> it should work with executables linked with /FIXED:YES [a defult
> option in Microsoft linkers - produces no relocations in the binary
> image, hence ~some~ profilers CANNOT even open the file!]

How is all that related to the C proramming language, the topic
of this newsgroup?

--

"LISP  is worth learning for  the profound enlightenment  experience
a better programmer for the rest of your days."   -- Eric S. Raymond

Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:27:31 GMT
 Binary Profiler

Quote:

> Hello,

> The market is flooded with profilers. But the profilers need source
> code. I am looking for BINARY / HIERARCHICAL profilers, that can
> rewrite the image in memory and profile sections of the binary code
> (obviously in assembly). The profiler should NOT ask for the source
> code and should be able to profile the binary image only (case in
> point: take a look at Washington.edu's ETCH binary profiler). And yes,
> it should work with executables linked with /FIXED:YES [a defult
> option in Microsoft linkers - produces no relocations in the binary
> image, hence ~some~ profilers CANNOT even open the file!]

> Any pointers ?

int *piSSoff = &iThink;

Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:12:29 GMT

1. Proposal: alt.binaries.examples.vb4 , alt.binaries.examples.vcpp , alt.binaries.examples.java

2. Add binary and Substract binary

3. reading a binary file back to binary

4. Getting a larger binary from a binary ?

5. how can search binary code in binary file?

6. Hex to Binary => Binary to Hex

7. HELP: Binary Large Objects (need to store binary file w/in database)

8. microsoft binary to ieee binary format

9. NT binary and 95, 98 binary

10. HELP: Binary Large Objects (need to store binary file w/in database)

11. ofstream binary mode not binary?

12. Profiler & Leak detector